Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shakes? Yech! Anyone else?

I had my surgery this past Monday. I did not have any trouble, and feel really good. I have walked a mile or so every day and just went back to work today.

My problem is this liquid diet. I think I am going to be sick if I have to drink another shake. My doctor had me doing three a day with two small meals during the two weeks before my surgery. I didn't love them then, but they were okay. The two small meals were a few ounces of lean mean and two cups of salad with no dressing, so it was okay that I had the shakes at other times.

Now that the surgery is over and I am on the 5th day of recovery, just the thought of a shake is gross. I think it is because they are too sweet. Can I Water them down with a little milk to make them less sweet? Or should I just hold my nose and drink? I have to go back to the nutritionist on the 11th (Friday) for my "mushie" diet, and until then that means I have to drink a lot of shakes to get in 60 to 80 grams of Protein a day. Anybody else know of other ways to get the Protein in? Help!:sneaky:

I had the same problem. By the end of the first few days I thought I would go into sugar shock from the shakes. But then I found a good alternative. Unjury makes a chicken Soup Protein mix. It has the same amount of protein as their shake. It was really a savior during the post op diet. I would not say that this would be something I would eat on a normal day but as an alternative to the shake, it was divine.

I had the same thing. During my liquid stage, I was also allowed low fat/small curd cottage cheese. So I got the kind with chives. 13g of Protein and not sweet!

I've also mixed the shakes with Peanut Butter, spices (cinnamon, pumpkin spice) and coffee ice cubes (I froze coffee). Anything to add a savory component.

I've tried Isopure drinks -- not "shakey." I hated the ice tea flavor, but mango peach is OK. Am trying some others. 40g of Proteins.

BTW -- my nutrionist is really down on the bullet Protein things. Says they are "crap" protein.

I use vanilla Matrix that my doctor recommended. It's okay and I can mix other flavors in it. I am going to try the muscle milk that someone mentioned on another thread.

I've never tasted a Protein shake that didnt have a disgusting aftertaste, they're all awful imo.

They werent even on my list for post surgery because they're not the be all and end all of everything nutrition here in Australia. I had stuff like milk, smoothies and egg flips made with fruit, Soups, juices, yogurt, custard and jelly on my post surgical list for the liquid shake.

I didnt keel over from not taking in 450 grams of Protein a day either. I made sure I made home made Soups that contained meat and meat broth MADE from actual meat, not carton stuff and when i had canned Soup, I chose varieties with meat and vegetables and blended them down with some broth to the right consistency - there's no real need to exist on low protein cream soups!

I've done this whole thing for four years really only having tasted Protein shakes out of curiosity - they are not and never were a part of my diet. I get what I need from food, anybody can if they dont like shakes, they dont have to drink them!

Don't advance your diet against docs orders (I know you know this)!! I don't think anyone likes the Protein Shakes if they've already "done" them for a period preop! but they do provide nutrition when you're in the "liquid" stage. Just hang in there! Call your doc on Mon or Tues if you're still just disgusted beyond words and see if they can recommend something else. I know some docs say not to have milk immediately post op (gas? digestion? not sure why) etc...so just do the best you can. FYI going without ANY nutrients for a few days won't hurt you unless you're diabetic. I was on Clear Liquids (NO Protein SHAKES!) for the first week post op. Most of us won't be harmed by that for a short period so just do the best you can and check with your doc on Tues.