Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I eat this or that?

Hi Guys, I am into my 5th week post op and on solids. I will not see doc for first time since op until 28th Sep. I just cant stop being anxious. I'm not sure if I am eating too much. I dont eat huge portions but I def eat more than a cup full which is the volume most people are told to eat. I have 3 meals daily and no snacking. I am also managing to eat any foods that I try without problems. Should I be able to eat bread, crunchy peppers, mushrooms, chicken & rice?? I do chew my food well and i take 20-30 mins to finish. Does this sound normal or am I at risk of damaging my band?? Now that I am on solids can I try any solids?? I feel ok, no problems. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks:confused:

Until you are restricted (filled) your band sits LOOSELY around your stomach. It forms a pouch but the hole/stoma caused by the band is large enough that things generally move on through with ease. Unless you were filled during surgery (some surgeons do this) by 5 weeks your swelling should be gone and you should feel fairly "normal". This is a time to practice the chewing, small bites, etc...the things that will help you use your band to it's fullest. So yes, it's normal. Yes you'll need more to be not hungry because food isn't hanging around in the pouch. Right now you are almost configured just like you were preband. So there's not much change. (more gas I bet! LOL)

You may want to avoid some foods if you are trying to lose weight, but you should be physically able to eat anything right now.

In other words, sounds like you are doing fine, healing well, and ready for the next step...starting to tighten the band! Too bad you can't get back to your doc any sooner!

:sneaky:

Until you are restricted (filled) your band sits LOOSELY around your stomach. It forms a pouch but the hole/stoma caused by the band is large enough that things generally move on through with ease. Unless you were filled during surgery (some surgeons do this) by 5 weeks your swelling should be gone and you should feel fairly "normal". This is a time to practice the chewing, small bites, etc...the things that will help you use your band to it's fullest. So yes, it's normal. Yes you'll need more to be not hungry because food isn't hanging around in the pouch. Right now you are almost configured just like you were preband. So there's not much change. (more gas I bet! LOL)

You may want to avoid some foods if you are trying to lose weight, but you should be physically able to eat anything right now.

In other words, sounds like you are doing fine, healing well, and ready for the next step...starting to tighten the band! Too bad you can't get back to your doc any sooner!

Thanks Restlessmonkey! So I guess if I can tolerate something then it is ok to eat it? I understand what you mean about practicing chewing and small portions. This I am doing. Just been worried about damage. If I take heed of the literature I was sent home with, I would never eat again it seems....not enough detail which leaves you having to kind of work it all out for yourself. Which i am happy to do as long as it doesnt kill me lol

My husband agrees with you about the gas lol not good!

I was suppose to see doc this week but appointment postponed til 28th cant get to see them in between.

Thank goodness for sites like this and people like you. All the best.

Glad to help! This time is often called "bandster hell" because people TRY to eat just a little and lose but it's really hard because for most of us, the band is in place but not really functioning yet! :sneaky:

True True True!! Bandster hell...that's where I am heading right now. lol

Congrats on your weight loss. Keep up the good work. :sneaky: