Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I was banded on Tues. I feel pretty good. I was able to take a walk on Wed. and stopped taking pain meds on yesterday. This morning I went for a walk medium speed for 15min.

I am in some pain, but mostly soreness at the port site and that gassy pain in my left shoulder and upper chest.

I am trying to master my dietary requirements... I was told to first think of hydration and then my goal is 90grams of protien a day.

well here is my question- How many calories a day and total amount of carbs per day?

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated :smile2:

Glad to hear you are doing so well following surgery!

My doctor's guidelines were 1000-1200 calories a day, but that is hard to get in the first week aned they acknowledged that. My doc had no carb requirement, but stressed Water, Protein, and eventually working up to the above calories. You may want to check with your doc's office to see what they want you to have.

Hope you continue to recover well!

I also never got a carbs, fat, or calories guideline from my doctor. I try to do between 800-1200 calories a day, but I was thinking of making an appointment with the nutritionist to talk about carbs and fat. My carbs are usually between 50-70 at this point, but sometimes I think my fat intake is too high. Not sure. But I probably will try to talk to the nutritionist about it. We'll see...

Had my surgery on Wednesday. Anyone know if Protein Shakes made from whey Protein is good for you?

congrats...

the whey protein shakes are what are mostly prescribed, but talk to your office about how many grams thay wish for you to have per day.. i hav heard from 60-90 per day. mine prefers us to get up to 90..

My doc is pretty specific - 70 grams Protein and 30 grams carb - all from a Liquid Protein diet for 2 weeks. I think that comes to around 700 calories max. Good luck

Isopure that you can get at GNC makes a clear liquid with a ton of Protein in it. I had a little bit of one today, but still not quite up to stomaching much...only 2 days post op.

My goal is to consume under 1500 calories a day and burn 2500.

Some days, my calorie intake is very low - like 800. But usually it's around 1200-1400.

I manage to get in about 55-60g of Protein, about 100-120g of carbs, and about 70-80g of fats. That's my fairly typical day.

I had my surgery Friday and can not tolerate much more than 2oz of fruit juice and sips of Water all day long...occassionaly a sugar free fruit juice pop helps, but my the pains are terrible!

My goal is to consume under 1500 calories a day and burn 2500.

Some days, my calorie intake is very low - like 800. But usually it's around 1200-1400.

I manage to get in about 55-60g of Protein, about 100-120g of carbs, and about 70-80g of fats. That's my fairly typical day.

thanks for this...

how do you burn approx 2500 cals a day?

I am now 1 week post op and been walking on the treadmill for the past 3 days 1/2 hour.. but I cannot start to lift or do anything strenuos till much later. But, now I am just trying to put some notes together

According to the GoWearFit armband device, even on a day I would consider sedentary (lazy day), I burn about 1800 in a 24 hour period. On the days I work out, I get about 600 calories knocked out in an hour on the eliptical. But I don't do that EVERY day.

For the past couple weeks, since the weather has cooled a little, I've been taking 2 20-minute walks (one mid to late morning and one mid afternoon). That gives me a couple of miles even before I get home. I use the treadmill and/or bike at home. I usually only go to the gym 2X a week.

All of this is doable right now because my husband isn't working, so I have him playing Mr. Mom at home and all three of our young ones are in school - our baby just started kindergarten. So the timing is pretty good for me to give fitness more focus. Also, having dropped a big chunk of weight already, things are just EASIER right now. The thought of even a 20 minute walk a year ago would have been overwhelming - I would have worried about coming back to work all sweaty and gross, etc. Now? Easy-peasy.

After my surgery, I took it easy and JUST walked the treadmill. I think I was 4-6 weeks out before I even went to the gym and got on the eliptical.