Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Step One = Confusion

Today I made a visit to the nutritionist. I decited to meet with her before the other steps in my jouney to see what was recommended. Unfortunatly, I'm more confused now than ever.

We went over what I usually eat in a day, how much I exersize, all the good stuff, and she saw no reason for why I can't lose weight/keep my weight down. Seems that Im 'doing what Im supposed to'.

Now I worry, if I go get the band... will it actually do anything? Im already eating what I should in the proper portions... could the band really help me?

Has anyone else come accross this issues??

Thanks!!

If you are doing what you are supposed to, are you losing weight? If not, have you found out why? (thyroid, other blood work, etc)

Nope, not losing any weight, infact I gained about 60 within a 5 month span last year.

Dr doesnt seem to think anything is up... Im just fat like I always have been. Im going back in 2 weeks to get the thyroid checked (again) and try to figure out what else could be the problem.

Now I suppose Im in a holding pattern in terms of getting a band or not. Very frustrated at the moment!!

Hi Pokes,

I had a few people try to discourage me along this journey as well. No one can mke the decision to get banded except for you.

I know that before the band i was never going to lose a signifigant amount of weight. I know now, or at least I strongly feel that my sensation of hunger is broken.

For me: the band changed my eating habits because along with Portion Control I am now hungry at the approprate times during the day. Pre- surgery I never had hunger pangs in the morning usually because I was always the hungriest in the middle of the night.

Again the band is only a tool, IT ON ITS OWN DOES NOT help you lose weight.

The only thing that can make you lose weight is you through proper diet and exercise. Again the band is only a tool, its not a magic tool and for a lot of us the weight doe snot come off easy. I have to exercise and watch what I eat. Even with the band if I eat at Mcd's every day (like I used to!) I will still be big..yeah I might lose fast at first but I will plateau and eventually gain it all back. As you can see some on her have.

The point of the band for me was control what was out of control...my portions and the literal amount of hunger I had. Again success is slow, I barely cleared 30 pounds the first year. but tha tis because I exercised hard. I lost few pounds but gained muscle, ability, agility and insight.

This is a journey not a quick fix. No matter how you look at it.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your decision.

All the band does is help you eat less, once you have restriction. Do you think consistently eating less will help you? Honestly, think about it. If you don't, then either something with a "malabsorption" component (where the food passes through without being converted to nutrients and fat, or at least a portion of it) like RNY Bypass, or a malabsorption drug like ALLI (sp?) may help you. You know yourself best. The band is great, but it just helps with Portion Control. If your body doesn't want to give the weight up the band won't make it happen.

Well put Restless...