Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many questions??? Lap band oir Gastric bypass!!!

Hi all, I am really looking for some support. How is the lap band working for you. Why did you choose the lap band, rather than gastric bypass. I am trying to make a decision, and not sure which one is right for me. Plese give me your feed back, your successes, and failures. Thanks in advance!!!:blink:

I can't give you the perspective of someone who has been banded. I get mine on the 23rd but I can tell you why I chose the band. 1st, It is less invasive. No reworking of the plumbing. It can be adjusted, and in the long term the results are similar. Initially most with Bypass lose more but over the long haul it averages out. I know people that had both. Most ask what the hell have I done at first but realize it was a great decision when you dont have to eat your food out of a blender. Plus, The dumping syndrome from bypass really turned me off. The band appears to be the most maintainence but also offers the most flexibility.

Greg

My perspective is from not being banded yet either. 9/30 is the day! I chose the band because of its flexibility. The fact that it can be changed is huge for me.

Also, you can fail at any weight loss surgery, so the idea of altering my insides with a bypass, then STILL failing really depresses me.

I know with the band, if I fall off the wagon, as I know most of us do from time to time, I can get back on a lot easier with its help.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Jodi

I've had both done, first the lap band in 2007 and it's removal and then the revision to RNY in 2009. I wasn't the type of person who did well with the lap band and was never satisfied and would eat around it. Also wasn't aware ahead of time all the foods that would go through without an issue. I had type 2 diabetes and always had cravings for sweets which never went away with the band and since they were the easiest to get down I ended up gaining back the weight I had lost on the preop diet.

So you have to know what your "issues" are before you choose a surgery. Of course there are risks with all types of WL surgeries but chosing one that will work is also a very important part of the decision process.

Good luck to you with your decision, Nancy.

I chose lapband for all the above responses as well.

I really researched and when I would read about the bypass it was like a lump in my throat, overwhelming fear and the what ifs? I finally allowed myself to listen at a seminar about banding and found myself excited and eager. I used that as my sign. I couldn't get rid of that bad feeling in the pit of my stomach when I was gonna do bypass (which is what I originally was planning). So, it felt good and right and I couldn't argue with that.

At first, the maintenance of the band scared me, but I think down the road most people were saying fills like once or twice a year (not the first two years) and I liked that, like it will keep with me, I can allow it to hold ME accountable and I figured it'd be like my "weight check" yearly, so I began to find comfort in the maintenance.

The weight loss and how fast was not an issue in determining. I mean who doesn't want to be one of them super fast losers, it would be nice. I just want to loose and I'm all for losing the recomended 1-2 pounds a week if that is what my body wants to do.

Also, and I think this is the biggest...I feel like I CAN do this. I can loose weight, I can diet...just not the long haul. So, I feel like this is that "tool" (you'll hear that a LOT) I personally need for my issues. I hope I'm right and I have no choice but to believe in myself and my future band.

It is personal and there is no wrong or right, just dig down and go with what your most comfortable with and what you think will bring you long term success. Once you decide, be positive and go take your life back. :blushing:

Like the others I choose the band because:

a - it is less invasive

b - i did not like the major re-routing

c - realizing that in a 2 years my body would adjust and start to absorb all the food again, also seeing all the people that have failed with RNY. Al Rooker, Carnie Wilson, etc. Also at my seminar there was a woman that had the RNY that is now having the Band because also someone else at my Surgeons office that I have talked to online also just had the band placed over his RNY.

I know the band also fails, but the thought of going through RNY and it failing just like others really depressed me.

I was leaning between the Gastric Sleeve (vsg) and the band. My surgeon does not do the sleeve and while I really was interested in the sleeve what sold me on the band is...if any of the others start to fail you, there really is nothing the surgeon can do but encourage you to get back on the train and lose the weight.

With the band if the restriction is too loose and you can eat freely and start gaining, you can get a fill and it is like getting a whole another surgery.

That is the big reason I choose the band.

Yes I do crave sweets here and there, specially at that time of the month. I do crave Pasta, etc. But my big thing is I can go pretty much all day with eating little to nothing and in the evening just pig out. With the band limiting what I can hold this really will work for me. Plus I know in the morning now that when I eat and get full it will be a good thing to care me for the day.

That was my other issue, once I started eating I did not want to stop.

There are a lot of things to think about. I made a pros and cons list and to help me really narrow it down and also put some emphasis on my first thourghts.

HTH