Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no food since august 4th-not losing!!!

is there anyone out there who followed a liquid 2 week pre-op diet to the tee, had surgery, and is 2 weeks post -op and is not losing? how can this be? i'm discouraged!!!!! i'm still on this Protein Shake diet for almost a month and am ticked off that a person can not eat normal food for a month almost and not lose weight. i did not cheat, followed my surgeon's orders, out of fear i would harm myself, and now i'm dissapointed. did this happen to anyone? i really need encouragement!!!! lisa6:confused:

Please don't be discouraged. Everyone has a different situation. You may drop lots of pounds when you don't expect it. Do what your doctor says and it will get better. Are you walking or doing any exercise?

Lapband is not as fast as gastric bypass. It's a slower and safer way of losing weight. When you first get your band, there is no restriction except what is in the band itself. As you get your fills, things will change. Hang in there.

Lisa -

I think we all tend to assume that because we are on liquids the weight should just fall off. However it could be that is what is causing your body to hang onto the weight - it may think it is in starvation mode.

Hang in there - follow your doc's orders and progress as he wants you to. Your preop diet may have sent your body into shock and it isn't unusual at all not to lose right after surgery. Give your body time to heal, and as you get back to more normal foods and start getting fills you will see the scale go down. This journey varies a lot for each of us.

Lisa, if you've read many posts on LBT you've seen the phrase "bandster hell". That's where you are right now. 2 weeks post-op, you're still healing. Don't be so darned hard on yourself! A lot of people gain in the post-op period. I gained and lost the same 4 pounds three times before I actually starting losing post-op. Just keep following your doctor's instructions and once you start getting fills, you will find it easier to do what you're supposed to do and the pounds will start coming off.

I was banded on Aug 13 and this is the same thing that is happening to me. It has worried me because I thought the scale should have moved by now. I weighed in pre-op and the day of surgery lost 14 pounds. The scale has not gone up but it sure hasn't moved either.

I am having the same issue....I lost 7 pounds pre op and habe not lost any since my august 25th band date. I too am on liquids only. I know that one of my problems is that I do not drink enough iquids. I just have never been a big drinker throughout the day. I find that I have to force myself to drink sometimes just to get enough Water. If you too are not getting enough liquids then that may be the case for you as well. I would just stick to the Docs plan and bring up those key issues on your visit with him. Just hang in there, hopefully things will get better when we have our first fill.

Right there with you!!! I was banded on Aug. 18th. Lost 12 pre-op. 5 since surgery..... now 2 weeks out and NOTHING!!!!!!! I am scared to death!!!!!! This thing better work or I am just going to die!!!!!!!

lollymoe, thanks for the reply, i am walking now. my girls run me ragged at the mall! i'm just now feeling well enough and am off pain meds so i can get out to walk. hoping to bump it up to aerobics when my doc gives the o.k. i am very anxious as i started preparing for this surgery 10 months ago. have you had alot of success? are you glad you made this decision? i hope so. this has worked for many. take care,lisa6

bambam,i never really thought about it, but yeah, i can see how my body could think i'm starving it. it sure feels like i am!!!!! and it makes some sense. just gonna try to tough it out till a fill. hope the fill brings me some relief. hunger pains really can hurt. also it's difficult to sleep when you are hungry. thanks for words, they help.lisa6

Did you ever get a book about lapband surgery from whoever provided the surgery to you? I did. In that book (it's by a dr. in Australia who was one of the lapband pioneers there), he tells us that the first month after banding is not a weight loss period. At all. It's a period for healing. Your main concern should be getting enough Protein and Water to heal your body. Give yourself a break and try to lose the weight loss mentality for another couple of weeks, maybe.

Also, try never to go to bed hungry. Even if you just grab a sugar free Jello or popsicle, that'll help and it'll be enough to allow you to sleep.

Just my two cents.

Lisa:

I too started this process in Dec2008. I am very happy to have made this decision. I think it may save my life or at least increase it. Good luck.

Your body is recovering from the surgery and sometimes post-op people don't lose weight for a while. Are you drinking all the Water you're supposed to? It helps "wash out" all the waste products. Also, do your shakes have enough Protein? I seem to lose better when I have more protein.

Good luck!

The only thing I can suggest is -

1 - Check your activity level.

2 - Have your thyroid checked, including thyroid antibodies

3 - Check all your medications you are on

4 - Have your hormones checked.

Wow - how frustrating!!!! You maybe eating too little?