Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do You do Eating Out?

I was banded a month ago. I've eaten out a few times since I've been back to work with co-workers. Luckily we've usually eaten at places that I can get healthy food and know how to count the carbs, fats and Proteins. But today my boss wanted to eat at a Chinese place. I don't want anyone to feel like we have to eat only in the places I feel like I can eat. I want to learn how to live as normally as I can with the band. I have to learn how to adapt to situations like this.

There were only two Entrees for kids. I ate 1/2 of the sweet and sour chicken entree. I brought the rest home and gave it to a family member to eat. Obviously it was high in fat and carbs (and tasted so good). I've been religiously counting my grams of Protein, carbs and fat. I could only guess at what was in my lunch.

It will be rare that I eat something this bad when I eat out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to navigate the eating out situations? What kind of guidelines do you use to estimate the Protein, carbs and fat if there's no nutritional info at the restaurant?

A great book I found is "Eat this, Don't Eat That". There is a fast food/resturant version and shopping version. You'd be suprised on some of the items you thought were healthy and are the complete opposite. Hope this helps.

before I reply I have to say that I didn't count calories, carbs or fat when I was losing. In Australia, we are encouraged to eat healthily, from all food groups, and I generally ate a range of Protein, carbs and veg in every meal.

So whenever I went out to eat (and in my job it's pretty often - maybe twice a week) I'd order whatever I wanted, eat approximately a cup of whatever it was, then would leave the rest. I enjoyed every bite and the only way I knew I could leave the rest was knowing that if I wanted, I could have another cup of it the next week (and funnily enough, I usually didn't).

My workmates are now so used to me eating some of my meal then leaving the rest they don't bother asking about it anymore. Now I'm restricted, I couldn't eat more than a cup even if I tried, so leaving the rest of the meal isn't hard to do at all now. And I never feel deprived.

I still managed to lose an average of about 10lbs a month too, eating everything in moderation, and exercising 3 times a week. So you don't have to 'cut out' entire restaurants from your life simply because you're banded now.

Chinese is hard for me since my NUT doesn't want me to eat rice or any kind of Pasta or noodle unless it is very overcooked, and only as a special treat. I ordered the steamed chicken and vegetables with a brown sauce no rice. It was very tasty and fairly healthy since there was no fat added during cooking

Like you say, its rare. I cant imagine a life where I had to obsess over counting carbs in everything I ate, in that situation I would do exactly what you did, what other option is there?

I dont count a darn thing, calories carbs Protein, nothign and I lost weight easily and have kept it off. So I dont think one meal of Chinese every now and then is going to make or break anything.

I have gained a few pounds since I have the ability to eat solids. Not sure how I should deal with it? Any suggestions?

I have to eat out because of work quite a bit. I was scared at the begining, thinking I would get stuck in front of my boss. But I started off by having Soup and then an appetizer like tuna tartar (if it was a nice place) or a crab cake. When faced with chinese I usually take the dumplings because they are pretty much ground up and the dough is not so thick that it is an issue. I never count anything. In my head I know that I am probably eating between 1000-1200 a day and it is ok,right now, if I go a bit over or under. I am steadily losing and feel great.

A great book I found is "Eat this, Don't Eat That". There is a fast food/resturant version and shopping version. You'd be suprised on some of the items you thought were healthy and are the complete opposite. Hope this helps.

Hey, FNM! I just picked up that book & you are so right! It's incredibly insightful and I really think it will help me make better choices when the time comes to eat out!

I haven't eaten out as yet but Chinese is my all time favorite. I have been thinking about what I will do since my place is a buffet. I think I will stick to the Hot & Sour Soup and be happy.

I don't think it will be possible to count every little carb, Protein, fat, sugar, etc that you put into your mouth. Use common sense and do what you did. Eat your allowed amount and leave the rest or take it home for someone else in the family.