Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Stuck Alot-Please Help.....

Hi Everyone!

thanks for reading my post.

I can eat certain things fine and in copious quantities, like Cereal, soft veggies, fruit, crackers. Anything like meat (meatballs, chicken, any meat really), pita, bread, etc. -anything without a lot of sauce gets stuck after 1 or 2 bites, and I am throwing up. Drinking makes it worse. What am I doing wrong here, or is this a case of avoiding the foods that make me sick? I know I need to slow down more, but is there anything else? I have had 2 fills since my surgery in June, and am at 3.7 cc in a 10 cc band.

Maybe I have irritated the area and need to do soft/liquid for a couple of days? I am very confused, it feels like every meal is a roller coaster and I am not sure if it will go fine or if this is the time I will be hovering over the sink...:)

thanks for any advice you have for me...

If you have been pb'ing a lot then perhaps a couple of days on liquids to let everything settle down would be a good idea, then building up slowly to mushies, then solid food.

All the foods you list that go down well are 'slider foods' so if you are unable to eat any solid Protein, then you may need a small defill.

I avoid some foods that I know won't go down well, bread being one of them, eggs another. You do need to find a range of healthy foods you can eat, I can eat chicken, fish, prawns and a wide range of vegetables and salad and fruit.< /p>

If you are at all worried then call your bariatric team to discuss.

Sue

(banded November 08 260lbs, August 09 149lbs)

You many not want to hear this, but maybe you need a slight un-full. I was told usually 3 to 4 fills to hit the sweet spot. Well, like you I had surgery in June and I've had two fills. I can not envision myself going for a 3rd fill anytime soon.

Last night I got stuck eating a soy chicken patty, which was cut into small pieces and mixed w/edamame (sp), avacado, Tomato, 2 tablespoons of brown rice (which my doc allows) and 1 tbsp of cheese w/ some soy sauce. I did not have bread, just mixed everything in a bowl. I didn't have any bread w/dinner. Everything total was about 1 1/2 cups of food. I got stuck eating raw carrots the other day. And let me just say I NEVER want to see a Snyder's pretzel again in my life! That was the worst!

I don't eat raw carrots anymore. Won't touch a pretzel, again. But, if I continue to get stuck on simple things, which I thoroughly chew, I'll consider a slight un-fill. It's not worth risking loosing my band altogether because I want to 'cowgirl-up' and push through continual 'stuck' episode.

Oh, here is the kicker, I am not losing any weight either. I started 2 weeks ago working out with cardio every day for 45 min to an hour, am not eating much but what I can get down and I have been f***ing around with the same 2 pounds every day-up/down. Very frustrating

I can only speak from my personal experience and I lose weight better when I am able to eat proper solid foods.

I was once too tight for 10 days and whether I was consuming too many calories when on mainly liquids and slider foods or whether I wasn't having sufficient calories and the body went into starvation mode and held onto its fat reserves I don't know, but it was the only time I didn't lose anything.

Oh, here is the kicker, I am not losing any weight either. I started 2 weeks ago working out with cardio every day for 45 min to an hour, am not eating much but what I can get down and I have been f***ing around with the same 2 pounds every day-up/down. Very frustrating

Oh Wow!! I had to re-read your post and make sure I hadn't written it myself!! I am experiencing the same exact things you've mentioned in your post! Last night I had a little ground beef for dinner and even though I chewed well and waited patiently between bites, I found myself over the sink. Today the same thing happened with tiny bites of chicken. I believe my problem is that I'm eating too fast. On Monday I ate a small plain burger with no problems. The difference was that I ate lunch at my desk at work and it took me over an hour to eat the burger between answering the phone, making copies, etc. I do at least 30 minutes of cardio daily and have the same 2 lbs. either up or down...

I had a fill of 2 cc on the 18th of August, and then went back the following day for a half cc unfill...I was too tight. The half cc made a better difference and I can definitely feel it. Since the fill(unfill) I did lose 4 lbs and then two more which go up or down...and I so wanted to be under 200 by Labor Day. Oh well...back to the treadmill.

I havent been able to eat,bread,rice or Pasta since i got banded June of last year i dont eve miss it anymore, BUT since my last fill July of this year I can barely eat, only thing i can eat is home made turkey chili as far as Protein goes. I can not eat,fish,red meat, pork,or chicken, i am seriously thinking about getting a slight unfill , worst part is i havent lost any weight and i am barely eating anything! its sooooooo frustrating! :sneaky:

Getting stuck is ALMOST always caused by user error. Assuming at 3.7 cc in a 10cc band that you are not too tight, odds are it's something "mechanical" you aren't doing.

Are you cutting the "meat" into small bites? Are you chewing it TO MUSH? Seriously...I think that for me, for example, a bite of rib eye steak needs to be chewed about 40 times. and yes I have counted it occasionally; I need to do SOMETHING to entertain myself while I'm sitting there chew chew chewing! LOL

So I would try that first. Sit down with your chicken, beef, whatever. Cut it up into your normal sized bites, then halve those. Then take a bite,put the fork back down, and CHEW until it feels almost liquid. Then swallow, and repeat. If you still can only eat 2-3 bites, you're too tight and probably need some fill removed.

And as I think someone else noted, too; if you have PB'd (thrown up as you call it) your stomach is probably swollen and it would be smart to give it a chance to chill out. So...after a PB, 24 hours of liquids, then give what I said a try. That way you'll know for sure. Because where you are? You should still be able to eat pretty much anything right now. There is no hard fast rule about it, but generally you should still be able to eat non-slider foods.