Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone ever had a "port Flip" or can feel it when you lay on your back

I think I Have been reading way too many books, and have scared myself. I have read that the port can actually flip and then it is unable to get a fill or access at all, then you have to have another surgery to correct it. How do you know if this happens?

Also today i was watching a movie and laying on my back and looked down and saw a large bump on my stomach, at the port site. I have never seen this before, why is it sticking out so much and it is a huge bump. When I sit down or stand up it is not there.

Anyone else have any of these issues? I am scared. I was banded on the 24th of July and first fill is 9/10. THank you.

Ports can and do flip, its not unusual, if they come unstitched.

As to sticking out, well now I'm at a low weight, mine is visible when I'm standing up as a round lump, let alone when I am laying down. Its not so ugly that i cant wear a bikini, but its definitely there.

I'm lucky not to have a lot of loose skin, but if I *did* have a Tummy Tuck and reduce the small amount that's there, it would stand out really really obviously.

But better than being fat and lumpy in my opinion.

Don't panic!

As Jacqui said, ports can and do flip.

IF yours happens to do so, it's actually a quick little in and out surgery where it is placed and re-stitched. I've heard that it's an easy recovery too.

Mine at some point may have to be revised. It moves. Literally doc can move it around inside. It hasn't flipped and he's not worried about it til/if it does. As long as he can find it and access it. No problems.

I will have to tell you that it's a strange feeling when you bend over and you can kinda feel it roll over some. Sometimes when I stand back up I have to rub "up" my stomach to kinda put it back in place. It's weird. Feels weird but as long as doc can get to it, I'm not worried about it either.

I just figure at some point in my life, I'll have to have it fixed. Til then, no worries!

As far as it sticking out. I've heard a lot of people say they have a bump. I do. No worries there either. I just need to get this fat off and if that means having a bump on the left side of my belly, then so be it! I'm 41 and at this point, it's probably NOT going to be my only bump! LOL!

Best wishes to you!

Edited by heartfire
Oops! Hit the 2 instead of the 1! I don't need to age myself prematurely!!

Thank you both for your replies. it made me a feel alloooot better. I would definately have a lump on my tummy than fat rolls so I'll take it. Thank you again.

Now that I have lost some weight I can see a slight bump where my port is. It doesn't bother me, I find it comforting at times because the more I see it the more I am loosing !! Weird logic I know...lol.

My port flipped. The revision surgery was done in the office but I was in A LOT of pain afterwards at the site. It was very swollen and uncomfortable. I have been afraid to go back in for another fill since then. I just really don't want anything else to go wrong.

Thanks Grandma 26 that is a great way to look at it. Everytime I get hungry I should rub the large lump on my stomach and that should remind me why I had the surgery and what eating badly will do.

THank you all for your replies, i need to stop scaring myself and just work this band

I am 6 weeks post op and went for my first fill yesterday. The doc could not locate the port because he said it was too deep in a pocket or it had flipped. He said he was really sorry as I wrote out a check for $300.00 and no fill...I'm very disappointed and sad but I am hopeful that the darn thing didn't flip. My doc said he charges over $1,000 for floro plus the $300 for the doctor visit/fill. I can't believe my luck, I could really use some words of encouragement. I originally lost 9 pounds and have gained back 6 and I'm exercising 40 minutes a day 5 days a week vigorously however I have been eating to deal with a lot of emotions and I seem to be hungry all the time.

Carmelmom, try to find another fill facility. The price your paying is way too high. Alot of times you can find fill Dr. or Fillcenterusa online.

I've been checking for alternative fill doctors and thought I'd found one but then when I showed up for my visit they told me they were not approved Internationally. This seems to be quite an issue when you have the lap band done in Mexico, the other fill doctors are several hours away from my home but I may have to do that anyway or I guess I'll be going back to Mexico.

I had a revision as my port came unhooked on one side and was laying on its side. I had surgery again and it was a much easier recovery(they didn't even unfill me). I will say that they attached my port to a grid type mesh and then stitched that down to my muscle, not sure why they don't do that as regular protocol.

Also I am insured but since they felt that this was their mistake, the whole 2nd surgery was done at no cost to my insurance company.

Thank you everyone for your comments they are very appreciated. Best of luck to all of us.:thumbup: