Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!! Im Carlene i Don't know where to start

hi...im carlene and im new here. i want to get a band put down in me. ive seen the advertmests on the bus benches near my place and its supposed to be easy to loose weight with it but i dont know. im fat but i dont want to really excercise. do i have to if i get a lap?? does it do the weight losing...how does it do it? the bus benches dont say very much.

can anyone tell me were too start. do i call the numbers on the bus benches? are they good places?

its nice to be here-ive been watchinh this place a while.

carlene

oh and ive heard about people getting it Mexico.....do they do that ther? is it cheaper? are they better?

thanks!

carlene

Hey Carlene so you are really interested in getting banded.. We live close I live in Downey I havent been banded yet but looking forward to it. Now i read your profile and i have got to tell you that if you want to make the band work for you. You have to put in work and be willing to put the Peanut Butter cups down. Seriously its easy to eat those high calorie slider foods that will go down easy. I'm sure you will hear it the lap band is just a tool you still have to make good food choices. Lurke around here some more, you will find a ton of info.. But to answer your questions the band is cheaper in TJ but if you have insurance it can be covered if you meet the requirements.

Carlene, you may want to finish your SRS surgery before you get the band. Just a thought. Check with your surgeon, to be sure.

h1 soocalchic!

wow its sure nice to have people to meet so fast. i get kind of nervos on boards like this...

yeh reeses cups are a problem with me kinda...i eat them a lot. its weird what i like to do is take a jar of regular peanut buttur and dip the reese cups in that and eat them...yeh i know its gross but it is real good. once i got kind of nuts and i melted some hersheys bars and dipped the reeses in the Peanut Butter and then in the melted hersheys. it was so yummyy...yeh hehehe.

o

but yeh i know thats why i got fat i guess! loll!

ok whats a slider food? i've seen that here before and i dont know what that means. where does it slide? like over the band or something? is that a good thing?

thanks!

hi restless monkey!

wow that is a funny name! i like it. i like monkeys. i dont know if id like one that was resltess though!!! heheh

do you like have a monkey for pet oe something? I really like animals. i work with tme for my job. i work with cows.

what is srs surgery? is that something you have to do before you get your band? i havent seen that before. I hope not. i don't really want to do anything but get that band put down inside me to stop food. excpet for my reeses! lol hehehe! just kidding!! lol!

thanks! carlene

Hey girlie we are all foodies here thats what has gotten us in trouble lol.. a slider food is a food that doesnt stay in your pouch for long so it doesnt keep you satisfied or full. Oh yeah and very nice to meet you too..

Is that picture of you, Carlene? Or just of someone dear to you? (I'm also a nosey Monkey!)

Hey Carlene,

Welcome to LBT and congratulations on deciding to do some research!

Foods like clam chowder, Peanut Butter cups, and popsicles are what many of us call "slider foods" because they slide through the band really easily. The band can help us eat less, but only if we eat the right kinds of foods--anything liquid or really mushy will slide on down to the main part of your stomach and leave you feeling less full for a shorter amount of time. You might not have to give them up, but you're definitely going to have to eat your favorites only occasionally if you get the lap-band.

Please start your journey by reading a ton. Look at the information on this message board and do some Googling. Read read read read and make sure that you're okay with all of the changes you're going to have to make; then start researching surgeons. There is a section on LBT to help.

Banding in Mexico is common, but it's not "better" than going with a surgeon in the US. It can be less expensive, if you have to pay with cash. Just like choosing a surgeon in your area, you will need to research surgeons in Mexico and make sure they're going to do a good job for you. I've heard some wonderful praise of some surgeons, but also horror stories of others.

Exercise isn't as necessary for weight loss as eating less (and eating healthy foods), but it still helps burn calories AND is necessary for good cardiovascular health. It's hard to make time for exercise and to stop thinking up reasons why we don't want to start moving. We should all do it anyway, weight loss surgery or not Believe me, I'm preaching to myself here :frown:

Edited by thebandedgirl
...sometimes I forget words :p

Carlene, you may want to finish your SRS surgery before you get the band. Just a thought. Check with your surgeon, to be sure.

Uh, what she said :frown:.

Uh, what she said :frown:.

O.k so what is SRS surgery... I must be dumb lolz..

Band me hard, Sliders are exactly what you are describing. soft , that turn liquid, or very soft, when in the mouth- like chocolate, ice cream, pudding, etc. They slide down your throat, no chewing. You can still gain weight eating that kind of food with a lap band. You need to figure out what your priorities are. To start, if you have regular doctor, Suggest you ask them for a referral 1st. They may have some recommendations and experiences with those who have had the surgery. There are hospitals across the country recognized as Centers of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery. Look on-line and contact a local hospital with this recognition. Good Luck

Carlene,

I took a look at your profile You may want to look into RNY. Now, I'm a band fan but I want your WLS to be AWESOME. There's a nurse who posts on here...lots of experience. She could help you find a surgeon in MX if money is an issue.

TPG aka Pooooly

Edited by ThePoolGirl
stoopid computer ate my words :(

Hey girlie we are all foodies here thats what has gotten us in trouble lol.. a slider food is a food that doesnt stay in your pouch for long so it doesnt keep you satisfied or full. Oh yeah and very nice to meet you too..

oh hey! I leand to use this quote button...wow thats neat..

ok i feel kind of stupid now coz i dont know all these words yet....i know sliders now. i guess thats like ice cream and stuff. but what about cake. its not creamy and slidy can i still have it? but i guess if you mix it with ice cream in your mouth with spit and everything i guess it would be a slider? sorry i guess that was gross. hehehe!

ok, now theres the pouch you said. I really feel dumb now...whats the pouch? is that what you carry around your lap band food in ?

thanks everyone....i'm really surpised im getting so many answers. there is a bunch to leanri guess, yeh? hehe..lol!

carlene

Note: The pouch referred to on this site is a tummy pouch. Do not confuse this with a kangaroo pouch. They are different things. :frown: