Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Icky buy honest questions

Hi, all, I'm new here and looking for advice. Although I've been considering it for years, I've only just decided to move forward with the lap band process. I'm only at the very beginning stage - just found a surgeon and planning to attend his seminar. I have a few questions about the effects of surgery. I see a lot of people on tv having post-bypass skin removed. Is this as common with the lap band? What about the dumping? I know someone who had bypass surgery and now they have chronic diarrhea. Is this a problem for anyone with the lap band? Have you reached your goal weight? What is the post-banding diet really like? Not just the diet, but the day-to-day life? I really want to do this, but I still need some information. I appreciate your willingness to share with me!

Dumping is associated with Bypass (and the fact that a portion of the small intestine is surgically removed) If you have that with the band, it's a mental issue, not a physical one. :frown:

And yes if you would need plastic surgery with bypass you'll need it with the band. Take me. If I lose 200 pounds, whether I lose 200 in 1 year, or in 3 years, at the end I'll weigh 200 less and need some stretched skin removed.

I think people assume you need it more with bypass because they initially lose more quickly. But then, they also recommend you maintain your loss for 1 year to allow the skin to shrink. So whether you lose it fast or slow, much like letting the air out of a balloon fast or slow, the end result will be the same.

Loose skin depends on many factors; age, genetics, weight, health, etc. So you won't really know your situation until you get there.

Restless monkey's right. And at 33yrs old, your collegen productions would be about to slow down so the sooner the better for you I reckon. Your genetics could be good & also the amount you lose (is it likely to be massive?) If I went through is again, I think I'd wear support stockings & tops kinda like they put on you after Lipo. It may or may not do a thing, but I'd have liked to have tried that. Altimately, the result of being a normal, healthy weight & size, far out-weighs some saggy skin hidden under clothes. Check out Jachut (member here), she's 42 & looks amazing. I have a blog about life 7yrs down the road if you're interested. Its at www.lapband-7yrslater.blogspot.com

Thanks for your answers. I have decided for myself that I'd rather have some flappy empty skin than skin full of fat. I guess I just wanted some honest feedback on what to expect. I do have a good amount of weight to loose - about more than 100 pounds - so I think I have a realistic expecation that I will have some saggy skin. Gracie - thanks for sharing your blog. I only read a few posts and had to stop...you know exactly where I am right now!

Just wanted to chime in since we are the same age. I have lost 140 pounds in 10 months, and still have about 40 to go. My skin has not been as bad as I thought, although in places it does sometimes bother me (upper inner thighs :wub:). It was so worth having the band done, though. I really think it has saved my life. Regarding the skin, I also think a factor is how long you have been big, and for me that was 20 years. My skin was stretched for a loooong time. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Lori. That helps a lot. I've got about 20 years of being over weight, too. Would you/are you considering corrective surgery in the future?

Thanks for your answers. I have decided for myself that I'd rather have some flappy empty skin than skin full of fat. I guess I just wanted some honest feedback on what to expect. I do have a good amount of weight to loose - about more than 100 pounds - so I think I have a realistic expecation that I will have some saggy skin. Gracie - thanks for sharing your blog. I only read a few posts and had to stop...you know exactly where I am right now!

You're welcome sweetie. You are sooooooo not alone. In fact, I think we may becoming a majority! Just for now, focus on the weight you're gonna lose & how wonderful thats going to make you look & feel. I'm gonna keep blogging cause I'm finding people are pleased to get complete honesty about all this. I'm also hoping it supports those who read it, informs them & encourages aswell. take care. :)

Ah, Gracie, you're my own personal fan club, lol!

My everyday diet is a totally and absolutely normal diet, including all foods. Nobody would ever know I had been banded, nor would they think I was on a diet, ate weird or anything. They might think I was disciplined and a bit of a health nut becuase I can knock back that second bit of cake.

I eat Protein, carbs, mostly healthy food, a little bit of junk now and then, I like a glass of wine at night. I am not on a "diet", I didnt lose weight on a "diet" and I will never go on a "diet" again.

I like running, i do it for 45 minutes most days of the week. Its not a chore, its a pleasurable activity that gives me headspace, time to download the days' mental stuff, and makes me feel great about myself.

I think good skin is 99% genetics and that's it. You are either lucky or you arent, nothing you do is going to change that. But I'd still rather be where I am now even if it meant a Tummy Tuck than where I was.

I probably will entertain the idea of ps someday, but I am not in a hurry. My sister had gastric bypass and did see skin improvement after about 1-2 years, so I will wait and see.

Ah, Gracie, you're my own personal fan club, lol!

My everyday diet is a totally and absolutely normal diet, including all foods. Nobody would ever know I had been banded, nor would they think I was on a diet, ate weird or anything. They might think I was disciplined and a bit of a health nut becuase I can knock back that second bit of cake.

I eat Protein, carbs, mostly healthy food, a little bit of junk now and then, I like a glass of wine at night. I am not on a "diet", I didnt lose weight on a "diet" and I will never go on a "diet" again.

I like running, i do it for 45 minutes most days of the week. Its not a chore, its a pleasurable activity that gives me headspace, time to download the days' mental stuff, and makes me feel great about myself.

I think good skin is 99% genetics and that's it. You are either lucky or you arent, nothing you do is going to change that. But I'd still rather be where I am now even if it meant a Tummy Tuck than where I was.

You prove how everyone in different. We do what we gotta do. I have my band at max, it's the only way. Protein is hard for me, mostly a tiny bit of shaved turkey, some cheese or egg white omlette. The only carbs I have is crackers or potato chips, mash potato. Did you used to be a runner always or have you taken it up since you've lost weight? I wasn't too bad in primary school, but I've never gone jogging. My boobs we're always too big! I definately would rather be where I am now too, than where I was. :)

I probably will entertain the idea of ps someday, but I am not in a hurry. My sister had gastric bypass and did see skin improvement after about 1-2 years, so I will wait and see.

Seems reasonable to wait and see. You know, honestly, my inner thighs are bothersome now, so I certainly expect they will be later, too.