Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet to shrink liver?

I weigh 459 lbs. My doc put me on a 3 week preop diet and it consists of 6 carnation Breakfast no sugar shakes.They have 150 calories ,5g of fat and 16 g carbs each. Ive been reading some posts and dont understand why he puts people on this diet. Im getting 96g a day of carbs. Isnt that kinda high? I thought low carb diets shrink the liver. Im only getting 900 calories a day but alot of carbs. Id much rather be on a low or no carb diet because this one is down right torture.Im starting to get darn right PISSED and wondering if this is worth it

Hi I haven't started my pre-op diet yet, but I do understand some of the reasoning behind this. So my geuss is partially your doing shakes to adjust to the diet you'll have to follow afterward. 96 carbs is still considered low under 100 is low. Take a diabetic diet 15 carbs are considered one carb exchange. So, your getting one carb exchange per meal. The shakes are also low fat, but what about Fiber and protien. The protien is to balance out the carb intake. If there is any fiber that is subtracted from the carbs. Anyway some people have had there surgery put off due to a fatty liver. And from the sounds of the shakes they should help with that.

Try to stay positive this is a life change three weeks may feel like forever but it really is not that long. If it bothers you so much call your doc and ask if there is another way.

God bless you in your wieght loss journey.

Nora

Thanks big mamma for the reply and yes there is 12 g of Protein in the chakes and some fiber(cant remember how much. I dont mind doing a diet if its doing what its supposed to be doing. I just dont want to waste my time. But what you said makes sense. I am just sooo scared of having a fatty liver. I want to do the BEST diet out there to shrink a liver and was just wondering if the one Im on is the right one. Im selfpay so if he has to back out of surgery Im out of money and it would take me a couple of years to save back up if i even could.

Hey I'm glad I could be of some help. I think your very brave to be doing this at all, let alone paying out of pocket. I can't imagine doing that at all!! Not that I think the health benefits wouldn't be worth it, but with three children and only my husband working we couldn't save enough. There is always something coming up.

God Bless you on your journey.

Nora

hey big momma thanks. I have 3 kids too all BOYS! God love em. Im a stay at home mom too and believe me we really had to sacrafice the last year and a half to get the money. No vacations no shopping. I love to garden and I couldnt buy any flowers;(. I feel guilty that ive had to take away so much from my family (my husband does nothing but work just to pay for all this) but I will be such a better mommy because of this. But I am scared something will go wrong. We have been praying like crazy people. Its all we can do

I weigh 459 lbs. My doc put me on a 3 week preop diet and it consists of 6 carnation breakfast no sugar shakes.They have 150 calories ,5g of fat and 16 g carbs each. Ive been reading some posts and dont understand why he puts people on this diet. Im getting 96g a day of carbs. Isnt that kinda high? I thought low carb diets shrink the liver. Im only getting 900 calories a day but alot of carbs. Id much rather be on a low or no carb diet because this one is down right torture.Im starting to get darn right PISSED and wondering if this is worth it

Hi there. I can see how you would be pissed! That seems a little extreme. On 900 cals a day you should lose a bunch of weight - is this part of the goal? As far as shrinking the liver, that can be done pretty quickly from what I understand - it is all about depleting your glycogen stores.

I only have to do 3 days of Clear liquids (with zero Protein - it is really a total fast, not a diet). Starting tomorrow! But my Dr. thinks this is enough to shrink the liver - all of his patients do it, no matter what BMI.

I think part of what these liquid diets is about, too, is totally eliminating any sort of choice on the part of the dieter. In a way, that makes it easier to stay on the diet. Low carb would probably work just as well but seems like some Drs. are afraid to give their patients that much choice - like we can't handle it or something. Well, from my own past dieting attempts I guess there is some truth to that....

Anyway, I would ask about adding some more Protein in to your diet, or see if there are any other options.

Good luck. I am self pay too, I know how that goes.

It's the FAT that causes the liver to shrink, LOW FAT.

If you want, find a shake that has comparable nutrition but less carbs.

Some think the diets are to prepare us etc, but while it does depend on the surgeon (s/he knows his motivation best) mine wasn't for any reason but to shrink the liver so the lap surgery would be possible.

I will say (and you may have read this; I'm pretty out there about it) I was given a 3-week diet, read on here about how NO ONE but me had such a long diet. I read poster after poster who only had 5 days, or 2 weeks, or 3 days, or none, and about how it was just to "get our head in the game" etc and so on. Since what I was reading was what I wanted to hear, I did my "own" diet that 3 weeks, lost 15 pounds, and guess what? My LIVER was still too thick. I then did exactly what my surgeon told me for 17 more days, lost 17 MORE pounds (much to my astonishment) and got the band.

I drank 2-3 shakes a day, 64 oz (minimum) of Water, and was allowed 3 oz of lean chicken turkey or fish and green veggies. It worked.

If you think that's too many carbs (and I kind of agree, but am not a doc nor am I a nutritionist!) I really would just find a shake with similar vitamins/minerals/fat (or less fat) but less carbs. My EAS Carb Control advantedge have less carbs and fat, and have a good 17g of Protein. They might be a do-able option.

Overall of course you should probably discuss your concerns with your surgeon. He may have a good reason why he wants you to have the carbs and feel that they are needed for you to have energy, for example, since he's not allowing you any "food". Check with him first and if he approves, find a different shake. Don't be a "maroon" like me and do what YOU think best; you may not be right! :w00t:

And if you think "well maybe RM's surgeon just wasn't skilled, that's why she didn't get the band the first time"...not so. MY doc has a nick name among other surgeons (he didn't tell me this but I found it out) they call him "boy wonder" because he looks young (he's closer to 40 than 30) and is so darned skilled. If he couldn't band me laparoscopically, no one could've. He told me he could've "opened me up" and placed it the "old" way but thank GOD he didn't. WAY longer recovery etc. So listen to YOUR doc. AND share your concerns about the carbs.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Thanks restless for the reply I love reading your posts you give me hope. Oh and bigmomma I sent ya a private message back but not sure it worked.

Seems like some surgeons focus just on depleting the glycogen stores and Water retained in the liver, while others (prescribing the longer diets) focus on reducing the fat in the liver? I know just being on a clear liquid diet for 3 days, all I am really losing is Water weight, maybe a tiny amount of fat.

Here is my basic understanding, from one surgeon's website:

Some surgeons mandate a very restricted diet - one that is low in fat, sugar and carbohydrates - for one week prior to surgery and even if your surgeon doesn't ask you to follow this diet, doing so will increase your chances of your operation being completed laparoscopically because it will shrink your liver down in size. By following a strict diet, your body reduces its glycogen stores (glycogen is a form of sugar stored in the liver and muscles for energy). With each ounce of glycogen, the body stores 3–4 ounces of water, so when you follow a very strict diet, especially one that is low in starch and sugar, your body loses its glycogen stores and some water. The liver shrinks as it has less glycogen and water in it. This diet is only recommended for one week before surgery and is not to be followed post–operatively. It is quite possible you lose a lot of weight that week, but it will be mainly be water loss. Please ensure you continue to drink throughout the day.