Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out of shape, where do I start?

Hi everyone,

I have had good success with my band but need to lose 30 more pounds. I know I am really out of shape because I don't exercise and I sit at a desk all day. Thinking I need to start walking to get my metabolism going. For you walkers or those of you who remember starting a walking routine, what do you recommend? Should I try walking as long as I can 2 or 3 days a week or maybe shorter distances every day? I need to break the couch potato cycle. FYI I do have OA in both knees. I have had the knee clean out surgery and don't have pain right now.

Thanks!

One foot in front of the other is the only place to start.

I'd just make a pact with yourself to do a gentle half hour walk five days a week.

Progress SLOWLY. Dont push yourself past your comfort zone, pay attention to your knees, and see how they go and weigh up whether you need to mix walking up with something else like swimming.

Give yourself a couple of months for that to become a habit before you think about harder exercise or getting really fit.

I could walk, i was quite fit, but the thought of running was just as daunting, only I had a burning desire to do it, so that helped. But I just went out and did what I could, and gradually built on it.

There really is no magic, its small steps and consistency. Running has taught me one of the most valuable lessons I've ever learned, honestly, and that's just the value of small steps and consistent work and the amazing things it can achieve over time. From little things, big things grow!

Yep, and if you can't handle the full 30 minuites, that's okay. Everyone starts somewhere. Try to do three short ten minute walks throughout the day or two fifteen minute walks. I like to walk first thing in the morning because it gets the blood flowing and wakes me up. I no longer drink caffeine so this is a necessity. You could also squeeze a 10 minute walk in after lunch or dinner. The warm evenings of fall are great for quick strolls.

Melis

Excellent advice from Jachut.

Look for small opportunities. Walk somewhere nearby instead of driving. Take a stroll after dinner. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. Take a walk around the office building parking lot during a break. Play Wii Fit or some other active game. Jog in place in your living room while watching the news on TV. Clean the garage or attic or whatever you have been putting off. Paint a room that needs it. Find a scenic trail nearby and hike it. Many gym's have one week trial memberships for free, bring some head phones and watch the news or Oprah or sports or whatever for 30 minutes while walking on the treadmill.

Exercise is a chicken and egg thing. If you don't, you don't want to, if you do, you want to. Find a way to jump up on that carousel and soon you'll find yourself looking forward to it and it becomes a normal part of your day instead of some big, intimidating thing.

I couldn't agree more with the pp. I started walking about a month out of surgery and started with about 20 minutes every couple days and now am up to about 40-45 minutes 4-6 times a week. I feel guilty when I miss it! Keys are to start slow and increase 1-2 minutes at a time. Pretty soon you will want to do it because you can see how good you feel and how muscular your legs and butt look :w00t:! I've even bought some walking DVD's for this fall and winter and have used them when it's blazing hot outside.

Thanks for the advice. Starting today, not a MOnday like many failed attempts of starting "this Monday" I have made in my life. No time like the present. It is very nice day here in Ohio for a walk. Not too hot. Taking my little chunky Shitzu with me. :frown:

Thanks for the advice. Starting today, not a MOnday like many failed attempts of starting "this Monday" I have made in my life. No time like the present. It is very nice day here in Ohio for a walk. Not too hot. Taking my little chunky Shitzu with me. :w00t:

Good for you! Don't only think of it as helping you get healthy, but you will also be getting your pup healthy too!:frown:

Thanks for the advice. Starting today, not a MOnday like many failed attempts of starting "this Monday" I have made in my life. No time like the present. It is very nice day here in Ohio for a walk. Not too hot. Taking my little chunky Shitzu with me. :wub:

Come join our mile exercise challenge. The September challenge will start on Tuesday. Everyone determines their own goal for the month. It can be 5 miles to achieve during the entire month or 200 miles. It's a personal challenge. The other posters on the board encourage each other to exercise and meet our goals.

We are a fun group!

Jenai:party: