Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this worth it? Maybe if Drs hired better staff???

Try to make this as short as possible. My last fill was just too much and I was throwing up every day and miserable so after two weeks (waited to see if it would loosen up a little) I started calling my doctor's office. After two more weeks, it finally came to the point that I had to go to the ER and that was also a HUGE fiasco with the staff of my dr's office. Because of their final mistake (not faxing orders for an upper GI and closing down the office for the day), my doctor came to see me in radiology when they called him and he removed 2ccs of my fill. I thought that would be the end of the story but NOOOOOO. My doc ended up doing a scope because of some pain and found out I had severe inflammation in my esophagus (maybe from a month of throwing up?) and had to take all the fill out of my band. Now, I have to be restriction free for a month and then go see the doctor again. I can't help but feel that if it were not for the staff of his office, I would not have had all these problems. After he took out the liquid today, I was supposed to go into his office and see the nurse. I just called them from the road and said I couldn't go in there because the last two times my blood pressure jumped to stroke level because I was so upset about what had happened.

The new doc told me that he didn't even know if the band would work for me and talked about moving it or removing it. When my regular doc came in, he was reassuring and told me he had no reason to believe that they couldn't fill me back up. He said that would start happening in two weeks but that changed since Monday.

I'm supposed to talk to a friend of friend about the lap band. I can't honestly recommend it or my doctor right now. Don't get me wrong - my doctor is the absolute best but some of the staff have made my life literally a living hell. Whas should I tell the woman? Anyone had any of these problems?

You had a rough experience and I am sorry for that. But I have to ask you a few questions:

1. You know your body better then anyone else. Why did you wait 4 weeks before going to see/ DEMANDING to see the doctor? I get that you wanted to see if it would loosen up - but 4 weeks?

I ask you this because I see people that "dont want to bother" the Doctor - "Hes too busy" etc. Thats BS! They provide a service. And if were in a hotel and they put you in a room next to a bunch of parting kids - you would demand change, no? Then way is your body less important?

2. What about you did the new Doctor say was the reason that the band would not work for you? Did he learn something new about you that the Old Doctor didnt know?

Just wondering.

Is this worth it? For many people (including me) without a doubt, it was 100% worth it. I had some problems but I would also never be happy if I pb-ed everyday, or threw up for a month.

As to talking to your friend - this isnt an easy road and you shouldn't sugar coat your experience. Be honest. They is good and bad in everything

Good Luck.

Why do you not have the information you need to get in touch with your doctor directly? I have my surgeon's office number, cell phone number, and email. I emailed him a few weeks ago on a Sunday and he called me within 30 minutes of the email. On a Sunday!

Seems like you have an irresponsible group of people in your surgical team. If I were you, I'd find a new doctor ASAP. Additionally, your surgeon's office should be concerned about getting sued for malpractice. If they performed a procedure on you, and you have serious complications as a result of neglect on their part, thats a law suit. Good luck!

I tried to give the short version but I know you guys don't know I'm reasonably intelligent and will work on something until I get resulst. You may not want to read all this but it's 6 a.m. and I can't sleep. I'm sure I've left out some details but this is about as close as I can come.

After two weeks, I realized things were'n't improving enough (my band had loosened or whatever it does before) It's a little bit of a blur as to exact details (apparently, I was severely dehydrated) but I honestly called the office 2-3 time a day most days of the week. Most often I had to leave messages and wait for return calls that didn't come for a couple of days. Yes, I left messages with multiple people and kept trying to call back daily. I had hope at one point because the nurse said I could get into see the doctor very soon but then she transferred me to the scheduler. No answer and no way to get back to the nurse. Waited for her to call me back the next day and again the cycle began in the afternoon.

It was a Wednesday when I actually staged my sit in at the hospital. You do know that even if you go to the ER, it does not mean that your doctor will see you or even speak with the ER doctor, right? I learned that. After finding out I was dehydrated and had a bladder infection and having Fluid in an IV and meds, they told me there was nothing else I could do. They had paged my doc several times. During the lovely stay, I was also on the phone to my office. At one point when I got a real person, and I was crying, I asked where the nurse was. I was told she was in pre-op class. I told them they needed to get me some help because I was certain that they didn't want an hysterical crying woman to walk into their class. I won't bore you with all the details of the calls. Eventually, the ER said I would have to leave because they had done all they could and my doctor would see me in the office. Really, when?

They couldn't get rid of me that easily - went to the doctor's office and repeated my earlier statement that I wasn't leaving until I got some help or at least an appointment. They were shocked - what was I doing there, I was supposed to be admitted to the hospital. Did I leave against medical advice? (not the first stupid question of the day by far) If I left AMA would I be standing here?

I had the choice of going back and waiting in line again to be admitted or to see the new doc (that I had never met) tomorrow. At first, they had me convinced to come back and then I decided to be admitted because then my real doc would see me that night. I went back to the ER to be admitted and they told me that they could not admit me because they had no medical reason. My doctor should have admitted me directly. Another 45 minutes worth of phone calls and I found out that no one would admit me. I was calmed down with the promise of an upper GI that day. However, as I mentioned earlier, they didn't fax the orders and left the office for the night and that led to the string of events where my doctor finally came over and took out 2ccs.

It amazes me that people saw me in the waiting room of my doctor's office having a crying fit and no one even asked what was wrong? I know people don't want to be nosey but these were pre-op patients and there were minutes when I was calm enough to speak. No, they were excited about their liquid diets and their surgery dates. I bet I was like that too and should have asked hung out in the fill room a few times to hear what could happen first.

When it's all said and done, I probably would do it again because even if I could have lost more weight on a regular diet, I wold eventually just gain it back. That may be happening all too soon since I have no fill right now.

We don't have our doctor's information. I supposed I could google it wait outside his house but stalking is illegal and there is even worse health care in jail.

I've tried telling him about the problems a little bit but it mostly doesn't seem like he's listening or just not acknowleding it. When I see him in the office in four weeks, I'm going to write down the problems and hand it to him or at least make sure he listens.

Sure, I could find a lawyer that might love this case but then exactly who would fill me/unfill me, care for me, operate if necessary? NO ONE in this area is that answer. It may be a large city but bariatric surgeons are a very small group and I have to assume they communicate a lot. Besides, I just want things to improve - not make enemies. I couldn't deal with that stress right now.

I would definitely write out, in full description like you did above, and mail it to your doctor. Mark the envelope "Personal and Confidential", and in the letter, state that you would like him to confirm that he did recieve your letter. (Most offices have a staff person who opens mail, so you want to make sure it gets to him, not the negligent staff!). He may be very busy and not quite realize what is going on with his staff, or at least, to what extent. With your letter, he has an eye opener, and can hopefully prevent other patients from having to go through what you went through. Best of luck to you!

You want a doctor and staff you can work with. It doesn't sound like these people are it. Can you check around to see if there is another doctor who will offer a second opinion? If so, take all your medical reports, test results, etc. and seek a second opinion with the option of changing doctors. Don't assume they are all a tight knit group - especially if they work for competing hospitals. Even if you don't seek a second opinion, please get copies of all your test results from pre-op until now. And get copies of your ER report. You should always see what the doctor sees. Don't put up with unacceptable care. I didn't. I changed doctors 7 months after my surgery. Best move I made. Good luck to you.

Get your doctor's cell phone. I have my surgeon's cell #. Another patient of his told me how he even left a party to go take care of her cause she had flown in to see him specifically! That is the kind of commitment and service you ought to be getting.

Tell your doctor that you would prefer to deal with him directly, given your traumatic experience.

I dont think he will say NO to you:-)

G'luck!