Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started my preop diet 3 days ago (6 carnation breakfasts no sugar added a day) and my gums are swelled and all around my nose and lips are dry and a bit tingly like an allergy or something. will it go away? nothing hurts just annoying

I also think it might be an allergy to something in the drink. I know they do use some weird chemicals to get the nutrients that are in it. they also say on the box "Made on machines that also produce soy and wheat products. Are you allergic to any of these?

Have you tried a different product? What did your nutritionist recommend?

My Dr recommends Optifast but it is way too expensive for me with what little I get from my SSDI.

I bought the Worldwide brand from Trader Joes and loved it. (chocolate and vanilla) I just went to Vitamen Shoppe and bought the 3 flavors that Trader Joes doesn't carry (strawberry, banana, and Cookies and creme) and they are even better.

See if your Dr will allow these instead.

careful think of other things you eat that may make you feel that way - could be too much of something in the drinks your having a reaction too like soy or wheat grass or any thing else that in there

It might also be because you are not eating anything.

I was told to massage my gums, brush my teeth, chew gum several times a day because the lack of not eating means the gums are not getting any stimulation.

But I would check with a doctor for sure if they are really swelled out.

Its not that bad My gums are going down but why is my face so dry? Ive been doing perfect on my diet so I really dont want to change anything to soon I think Ill see in a few days. Maybe Ill get used to it. Im not allergic to anything so this is strange.It could just be an outside thing and it just happened at the same time

I was given a hand out with my pre op diet and here is what they mention to be aware of in the pre op phase (also the post op 2 weeks I am sure too)

1 - Intolerance to cold

2 - Light-headedness on rising, due to Water loss

3 - Fatigue

4 - Dry skin, dry hair, and brittle nails

5 - Temporary loss of some hair

6 - Change in bowel habits

7 - Headache, especially in the first few weeks

8 - Improvement in fertility

9 - Bad Breath

10 - Gallstones & Gall Bladder

On the form for the Bad Breath is where it says to massage the gums because you won't be eating anything.

I know my lips have been really dry, same with my forehead and my hands feel really tight like they are drying up.

I hope that helps a little but I believe the dryness will continue until we start to eat again.

Thanks for the reply. I dont want to lose my hair waaaaa. I need to be on this for 3 weeks preop then a few after surgery. Im gonna shrivle up LOL I hope all goes Ok though