Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet...The Ultimate Test!

So I am on Day 4 of my 14 day Opti Fast liqud diet! I must say that as prepared as I thought I was this, I was no where near ready!

My first mistake was not gradually getting myself off of foods. In fact the night before my liquid diet I pigged out (And I do mean PIG OUT) on some chinese food. So the next day when I was on liquids my body shut all the way down. Day 2 was just as bad.

Day 3 was a little better and today I am wishing it was day 14 instead of 4!!:glare:

I keep telling myself that I am not the first person to go through this and that millions have done the same (whether it was for surgery of other reasons!) I've also heard that it gets better have day 5-6 so I am so looking forward to those days. :rolleyes:

It's gotten so bad that I don't want to go anywhere or watch anything that has food...which sadly leaves me with very little/ no options!

How did you full liquid diet folks get through it or how are you currently coping??:unsure:

I am on day 3 of the liquid (Optifast) diet.

I FEEL your pain. I did the same thing and pigged out too.

The first day I did cheat in the am because I did not have the Optifast yet and had McDonalds Breakfast.

So the first day after McDonalds I had 2 optifasts, 2 sugar free jellos, 1 cup of chicken brooth, and several sugar free hard candies as well as some sugar free gum. I did cheat that night and ate one slice of cheese.

Yesterday I was good all day and did my 5 Optifast, I have them spaced out every 3 hours. (9, 12, 3, 6, & 9) I got two boxes of Vanialla and one chocolate, so I start with vanilla and then go to chocolate...

Along with the Optifast I had 2 sugar free jellos, 3 cups of chicken brooth and several hard candies and gum. And a piece of a sliced up mushroom.

Today is day 3 and has been a really big challenge. My hubby may grilled ham and cheese sandwhiches and mac n cheese for lunch. OMG I was salivating...I was about to attack like a mad dog that just got loose.

I just sipped my Water and then had 2 cups of chicken brooth to help try and calm me down.

I am so hungry today it is not funny. I am hoping like you that it gets easier after a few days.

We just need to keep telling ourselves we are doing this for a very good reason and the outcome with be worth it.

But I feel you and what you are going through as I am going through it right now with you as well.

As I type this it is time for my feeding...I feel like a zoo animal saying that. LOL and as I keep telling my husband I need to get my drink on.

Since we are going through this at the same time lets try to keep each other pumped and motivated. I am guessing your surgery is 09/03/09?

Okay stay strong...WE CAN DO THIS!!!

There is NO preparing for the liquid diet. It sucks and there is no way getting around that lol just try your hardest not to cheat - keep reminding yourself that you are risking your surgery if you do that. Also, what helped me was keeping inspiration items around the house to remind me why I'm torturing myself - smaller sized jeans, pictures of the bahamas which is where I will go when I meet goal, etc.

Good luck!

This is the worst part of the journey, but it will pass soon enough, and only be a dim memory. lol

If your doctor/nut allows other forms of liquid Protein, try to alternate the shakes with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth Protein powder (21g protein), Isopure Zero Carb Protein drinks (40g per 20 oz bottle) or New whey Liquid Protein shots (42g Protein in 4.3 oz). I still use them on days when my protein intake is low.

Hang in there - its worth it!

The doc is making me do a 3 week preop diet. 6 carnation no sugar added shakes a day and all the sugar free liquids I can drink! I am starting tommorrow and Im freeking out a little bit. I* have 3 sons and a husband that I need to feed. It would be so much easier if I was a single gal with no food in the house. Ill be like a heroin addict dealing heroin and cant have any LOL I still have to deal the food. Im going to call my doc first thing in the morn and ask about Unjury chicken flavored broth because the thought of drinking nothing but sweet makes me want to puke!

Three weeks post op - yowza! I'll be pulling for you.

When you call your doctor, check if you can have a different brand shake - something with higher Protein, so at least you won't have to drink as many of them. Good luck!

Unforgettable is right: This will soon be a memory. Just keep telling yourself it's only XX days and then you get to have surgery. If you cheat, you run the risk of having your surgery canceled. If you read the board, you'll see it happened to others. They make you do this to shrink your liver to reduce risk of damage. It's a good thing.

But good doesn't mean easy. The guy who sits next to me at work had McDonald's EVERY day I was on liquids. I seriously thought about stabbing him with my pencil for his fries.

What worked for me was avoiding food at all costs. I had nothing in the apt. I took a walk outside when my coworker brought in McDonalds. When I visited my family for the weekend, I went upstairs or outside when they cooked/ate dinner. I just needed to physically remove myself from temptation.

Something else that worked that was my friend's suggestion. Make an inspiration book. I went through mags and cut out clothes I wanted, sexy outfits, places I wanted to visit...basically anything that I wanted/wanted to do when I am thinner. I pasted them in a small journal I keep with me. When temptation gets too great or I don't want to exercise or whatever, I pull it out and it reminds me of what it is I am doing all this for.

I was the same as you for the first week - I didn't really leave my apartment unless it was REALLY necessary. I live right in the middle of the city, so when I come out of the apartment there is food EVERYWHERE beckoning to me lol. I think what motivated me most was the amount of weight I lost. I lost 20 pounds on my pre-op liquid diet, and at about 2 months out from surgery, I've lost almost 50 pounds in total. I feel good that I didn't really cheat on my pre-op and I definitely felt great when I woke up in recovery and the doc said my liver looked really good and the surgery was successful. Just hang in there - it will be all worth it! Good luck!

Hang in there. It did get easier for me the longer I did it. However, it is just my husband, my mother-in-law, and me in the house and they were very sensitive and accommodating to me. I also didn't have to go to work and face people. (I'm a teacher and it was in the summer.) I did go to a fourth of July cookout, though, and it was tough, but I ate my yogurt and drank a Protein Shake while everyone else had the yummy burgers and hot dogs. I just told them all how excited I was and that I had eaten enough in my lifetime that this one time wouldn't kill me. (And I tried to convince myself that I meant it.) Just remember, it will pass. I haven't had a child, but they say after childbirth you are so happy you don't remember the pain. I think it must be kind of like that!

Something else that worked that was my friend's suggestion. Make an inspiration book. I went through mags and cut out clothes I wanted, sexy outfits, places I wanted to visit...basically anything that I wanted/wanted to do when I am thinner. I pasted them in a small journal I keep with me. When temptation gets too great or I don't want to exercise or whatever, I pull it out and it reminds me of what it is I am doing all this for.

What a great suggestion!

What a great suggestion!

I am doing ok with it.. I was careful to not get into 'carb mode' before it started because then I am a bottomless pit. I also am drinking the unjury shakes some of the recommended shakes had not so great carbs in them which would make me hungry so check the carb content and ingredients of what you are taking. I am allowed two cups of veggies - I haven't cheated. I have STOPPED myself for habitually reaching out for a choc covered pretzel at work today but that was habit. broth helps take the edge off.

Now is the time to get a new hobby, preferably one that does not mix well with food and is incredibly time consuming. Knitting keeps the hands busy. I personally have my stained glass. Working with all that lead came and solder is dangerous to mix with food. It is also very fussy and can take hours on end easily without me noticing the time passing.

I just moved and it's my priority to get my glass workshop up and running before I have to start my three weeks of pre-op diet. That way I can spend three weeks in my closet and not staring wistfully into my kitchen. (small apartment... workshop in walk-in closet. I'm not just a freak who hides in the closet for fun)