Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Need help for an emotional eater

I could use someone to talk to who could help me from a mental/emotional standpoint. I know all the nutritional things to do, but need help keeping away from bad foods, that sabotage me everytime. Anyone who would like to talk about this would be wonderful. I have been banded 1 year now and lost 67lbs, but gained back 27lbs. Thanks!

Jim

Have you considered seeing a psychologist? Someone professional that knows how to deal with your eating issues. From reading some of your threads, I would think it would be well worth it for you. You definitely have the desire but the head thoughts just keep getting in the way. It is so very hard if you are emotionally attached to eating. It doesn't just go away. I think a professional could definitely help you detach yourself from bad choices. A nutritionist also might help. I don't know what kind of insurance you have but if you have a good one, they will help pay for some of the cost of a psychologist.

Have you considered seeing a psychologist? Someone professional that knows how to deal with your eating issues. From reading some of your threads, I would think it would be well worth it for you. You definitely have the desire but the head thoughts just keep getting in the way. It is so very hard if you are emotionally attached to eating. It doesn't just go away. I think a professional could definitely help you detach yourself from bad choices. A nutritionist also might help. I don't know what kind of insurance you have but if you have a good one, they will help pay for some of the cost of a psychologist.

Greytz--

Thank you very much for taking the time to read some of my threads! I am indeed just beginning to meet with a psychologist--my 1st appt was last month. I am meeting now once a month with a nutritionist and now the psychologist, at my weight control center. They are both free because of the financial package I purchased at the beginning. My 1st session went well but what she said didn't "stick". But she was good and I liked her. Maybe I can go more often than once a month, because, you are so right, my head is getting in the way of my weight loss. Not sure if the nutritionist is helping me that much, because I really do know what to eat. But she does help me be accountable. Thanks again for writing!

Jim

Jim, that is wonderful that you have taken the right steps to help the situation. I would definitely say to make as many appointments as you can as often as they will let you until you can work your way through it. I think you are headed in the right direction for sure. My belief is that the nutritionist is important because even though you know what to eat you aren't eating it at this point. It will just help keep it in your head that much more. Also, when I have had trouble in the past staying on track, I put a postcard on my kitchen counter and everytime I ate something I wrote it down. I also kept one in my purse (for you a pocket LOL) and when I was out would jot it down. I put the postcards together at the end of the day. I was shocked sometimes at what I ate. It might really help you right now. It is kind of a kick in the butt to see it in black and white. It will also help your nutritionist believe it or not. She can see what you are eating and help you make better choices based on the foods you tend to like. Otherwise, she will just be telling you to eat foods you may not be inclined to eat and it does you no good. This way she can substitute better food choices based on what you already like. I hope that made sense. I can sometimes hear things in my head and not put them on paper very well. Anyway, best of luck to you and keep me posted on your progress!

Hi Greytz,

I do use Calorie King on the internet to track my food intake. It is very simple to use and when I eat something I just get on the puter and log it in. Now, do I do this every day? No I don't. Probably because when I fall of the wagon I feel ashamed. So I do it sporadically. Another case where I know what I should be doing, but don't. LOL I hereby reaffirm to use Calorie King today and start tracking my food--Good AND Bad!! Thanks for the good advise...

Jim

Great. Yeah, I can understand. I just suggested the cards because it was just easier for me and I was more inclined to do it. But whatever works for you is the best thing. And, the whole point as I am sure you already know is to track the bad as well. It is what really opens up your eyes.