Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a few questions; As we are currently stationed in Hawaii, and I have Tri Care Prime insurrance,

I was wondering if anyone has had surgery in Hawaii using Tri Care or in any other state using Tri Care? (at this point I just want some feedback!):(

How long does it take to get a surgery date using Tri Care insurrance?

I was told I would have to have the surgery done at TAMC. Has anyone had theirs done at an ARMY hospital? :wink2:

If so how was it?

And in general, how is the surgery?

Whats it like post op?

Will I be able to take care of my lil' girl afterwards or is there a certain amount of recovery time?

Would it be a good idea for my husband to ask for some time off after the surgery?

How is the weight loss process?

Is there certain foods I wont be able to eat anymore, drinks, ect?

I have actually posted a few times trying to get some answers. But noone has any. I've been doing my research as well, I'm just trying to get some answers from someone elses Point Of View. As of right now I'm 200% over my ideal body weight, which is a deciding factor in my insurrance approval process. I don't think there is any reason that I would be denied right now, just going off the statistics for Tri Care patients.

Also I have yet to find out who my potential surgeon would be. Seeing how I will have to use an In-network surgeon. I know that I will have to have the surgery done at Tripler, and I have called several times trying to get info, but I always turn up empty handed. I was so hoping this forum would be helpful, but so far it really hasn't done me much good.

I want to begin this journey informed and ready to go. Not scared and unsure. As of right now, I'm starting to feel discouraged about the whole thing. :cursing:

It's entirely possible that no one who has had surgery at Tripler has read your posts. Have you tried entering TAMC and/or Tripler in the search engine?

Yes I've looked. There was one lady who had a terrible experience there and then an older man who had it done there as well. I tried getting in touch with the woman to get some more info. But have yet to get a reply.

Which is okay, I've pretty much given up on getting the info I'm looking for on here. No big deal.

Sorry you're perturbed but if no one who's been to Tripler posts on this site, then you are out of luck. I've never been there, I can't help you.

I can't answer much about the insurance/hospital inquiries..my best help would be try researching on the internet. Research your healthcare plan, find out what surgeons are on that plan THEN research him or her. I know there are other sites out there that are for Lap Band support/information.

Also, I'm not sure there would be any reason for your husband to take off work other than maybe the day of the surgery. I havn't had my surgery yet, but my doctor has assured me it's only a week of downtime..and most of that "down time" is literally getting up and down. I was told the incisions are exactly the same as my previous gall bladder removal surgery. One incision especially, which will go through muscle, will make it difficult to get up and down for several days, but you're not totally disabled.

Also, I was told even though you won't be able to eat as much, staying away from high fat & sugar content food will make the weight loss process more significant and easier.

Hope some of that helps!! :o

Found another one!

TriCare North - Weight Loss Surgery Insurance - RenewedReflections

I know when someone is at a loss for information it can be very discouraging. I really hope these forums help you!

thanks for the help. I've looked up the doctor who does the surgery here, thats covered by my insurrance and he just started doing the surgery in 2008, so he's not as experienced as I was hoping he would be. I was told to find a doctor who has done at least 500. That his statistics would be way better. But my insurrance will only pay for him. And he requires a 6 month supervised diet. Which I think is dumb, I mean I've been dieting all my life! My insurrance doesn't require any of that stuff.

But anyways its very hard having surgery in a place I'm not very comfortable in. I'm thinking i might fly home for the surgery. Its taken me a year to get up the courage to have this surgery, so I want to know I'm being well taken care of. You know? But thanks again for the hlep!

I think that is very dumb since your insurance doesn't specifically require it. Most of those herdles I've heard were usually at the insurance's request..not the surgeon. And I totally hear ya, I've been dieting all of my life too.

But definately don't get it done there if you're not comfortable with the idea of it or the surgeon.

I am in Oregon and have Tricare. I was the first person that my surgeons office had EVER seen denied by Tricare, when they finally figured out why it was because I was 2 lbs underweight. It struck me as funny because I had never been told I WASN'T big enough for something. Got that all taken care of and literally within hours was approved. Can't obviously give you any info about Hawaii or the hospital....but Tricare has really been a dream for me!! Good Luck!