Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do for exercises?

I was able to resume walking 2 weeks post -op. I couldn't do any other excersises until 6 weeks post op.

I think you have to heal a little more before you worry about the scale right now. I know you want to see it moving downward but if you do too much to soon you may have problems later on.

Hey everyone, I will be a month post op monday the 24th, and want to start working out, riding bikes, eplitical, just walking now. My question is dont we have to wait for our stomach to heal like 6-8 weeks before we start really working out. Just scard i am going to pull out stiches or jurt the tummy. Any thoughts???

I haven't really worked out yet just been doing my job which is a cleaning job and walking but I really wanna play a little frisbee and bad mitten tomorrow

Hey everyone, I will be a month post op monday the 24th, and want to start working out, riding bikes, eplitical, just walking now. My question is dont we have to wait for our stomach to heal like 6-8 weeks before we start really working out. Just scard i am going to pull out stiches or jurt the tummy. Any thoughts???

Of course, listen to what your doc tells you about working out first and foremost, but I was told I can resume all activities one week post-op. I dove right back into an exercise routine and love it so far. The only complications I am having is sit ups. I spoke with a trainer at the gym and they said to do leg lifts or exercises that focus on the lower abs. Good luck!

I used to walk alot, but I was getting bored with it. Someone on this website asked if anybody's tried out the trikke. I looked it up and asked some questions, and then I bought one. It's a great workout and alot of fun. I'm going to try to put a picture of me on my trikke here. I trikked 24 miles on 8/8 - my longest ride yet. If you're interested in looking into it, check out www.trikketalk.com or www.tampatrikke.com

Trikking August 2009 - 24 Mile Ride.bmp

Erin, is there a handicapped riding program in your area? If so it's a great place to volunteer and get your 'horse' fix :-P.

I am 5 weeks post-op, started at the gym one week after surgery, and did my first week of C25K this week :-). The only restriction I have from my surgeon is I have to wait 6 weeks for abdominals and getting back in my kayak.

For those interested in Couch to 5K there's a great thread right here in the exercise section about it, with super nice, super supportive people in it!

there is a therapeutic riding program not too far where i live, i will so keep that in mind thanks (:

im 3 weeks post op now and i have no clue what i could possibly to for workouts, i know i cant do abs for 6 weeks, and on my paper it said i could go back to my normal activities one week after surgery. i might go for a walk with my friends later if it isnt raining. if anything, i like being outside.

is the Couch to 5k is that a running program? i dont think i can start running til 6 weeks post op, i was never able to run long before surgery not for even 5 mins, when ever i do a timed mile at school my time is usually 16/17 mins and the last one we did before school got out i got almost 18 mins so i did worse the second time (we do the timed mile twice a year)

Erin, C25K is a running program, perhaps not your cuppa tea :-). I certainly didn't think it was mine....who knew.

Do exercise's that you enjoy. I tend to throw myself at every new thing 100 miles per hour [til I hit whatever wall pops up in front of me]. Though I'm very blessed to have an excellent county run sports/exercise program close to home. So for now I enjoy the gym, playing with the C25K, looking into yoga classes, and perhaps a few weeks with a personal trainer [as a 'way to go' gift to me :-P].

Since you enjoy horses, please look into the program close to your home. I know it's not the same as spending time in the saddle yourself, but it's a great way to get exercise, time with those big warm non-judgmental four legged equine's, and an opportunity to give back to someone with more challenges in life than yourself. Truly a win/win for all of you :-).

I'm sure you'll find the right mix for yourself :(!