Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Stick With It

Hello my name is De Anna... this is my first post... my surgery date was 01-06-09 I have lost roughly 42lbs... I haven't seen my srugeon since April... Last time I saw him he just seemed so disappointed I wasn't loosing more. I've been scared 2 go back, but I'm not loosing anymore... I'm stuck I'm going up and down between 7lbs. I go to school 5 days a week as well as work, I just feel like I dont have it in me 2 exercise. As fasr as eatting... being a college student, I dont have the finacial means 2 eat healthy all the time.. I try my best when I can but it isn't always easy. Point is, does anyone have any advice how 2 get back on track and stay on it??? I'd like 2 see my Dr. to get a fill but I just want to loose a little more before I go back...

deanna, I'm not trying to be snarky here, but the only way to lose weight (with any diet, plan, scheme or surgery) is to burn more calories than you take in.

I understand your time constraints make it difficult to exercise. Have you tried wearing a pedometer to count your steps each day? Even if you just parked farther away from your building and walked a little farther, you'd be getting in a few extra steps.

As for food, again I know the cheapest is seldom the healthiest. When I was in college I practically lived off Ramen noodles (super cheap....but super high fat). I think you can buy healthier food if you're willing to devote a day to prepare / cook food to be eaten throughout the week (example, sometimes I will cook 14 chicken breasts on a Sunday, then bag 'em & put 'em in the 'fridge. Now I've prepared next week's lunches and dinners).

You can back on track. Remember, even tiny steps in the right direction beats going the wrong way. Good luck!!

Deanna, hang in there! I don't have too much advice to offer at this point since I haven't had surgery yet, but I know you'll get lots of good advice from this site. I agree with Plain...cheap food = fat food. It's not fair, of course :lol:. But it's true.

I wish you lots of luck and my future success!! :D

TPG

you know you are definatley right... just dont knwo whats wrong with me its like.. i know what i should and could do.. but i just dont do it...

Plain had some great advice. And I think you've nailed it on the head, you know what you should and could do but you just don't do it. Throw away all the excuses, because let's be honest that's what they are. And who cares what your doctor thinks...I'm sure he'd much rather you came in for help than do what you're doing now. If you don't feel comfortable going to him then go to someone else. Do what you need to do to get back on track. Do you at least have good restriction to where you are eating smaller portions? I know college is hard as far as eating healthier, but just try starting off making the healthier choices. Don't go clothes shopping or party on the weekend and use that money to buy some healthier options. Like plain had suggested, chicken is a great option. Cook it ahead of time, package it into portioned sizes and grab it when you need it. I also know time is an issue to. I work full time and am in school for my masters degree, but I still make time to exercise. Because let's be honest, we say we don't have the time but usually we really do.

Just try to remind yourself of your motivation to get the surgery in the first place. Remember your goals, the things you wanted to accomplish, and focus on those. Do your hardest and you'll see it pay off.

Good luck!

Hey again, Deanna!

I was wondering if your classes had actually started yet. If not, maybe just the change of pace will get you moving. Sometimes it's just a change in routine that does it.

It is SO hard to get back on track. But you're young and you deserve to have a happy, healthy life. Keep reading the posts and threads on here. So many people...so much info.

If cooking the healthy stuff is too hard right now, maybe you could look into those packs of tuna, in the foil. And if you do go the fast food route, try to make the best choices. It's hard though when a big, greasy cheeseburger is calling you, but you've worked too hard to give in to that. You're gonna get yourself back on track. If you really didn't want to, you wouldn't have taken the time to post your issue :D. So use the support from this site. People here want to help others!

TPG

Healthy food can be the cheapest option of all but you have to teach yourself how to shop, cook and store it.

Eating pulses and lentils (beans, chick peas - I think you call those garbanzo Beans - lentils) augmented with a little meat, canned fish rather than fresh, making and freezing vegetable Soups and cooking and freezing in batches - it takes effort but you absolutely cannot say you cant afford to eat well. It will always be cheaper in the long run to buy some pita breads and MAKE a basic pizza than to order them in, however the initial outlay is that you have to ahve things like cheese, Tomato paste etc in the house. You can freeze grated cheese, you dont have to let it go bad in the fridge becuase you cant eat it at once, likewise you can freeze things like salami and ham too.

Things like oatmeal, well it doesnt GET any cheaper than that. Not processed 1 minute single serve packs, but the real stuff, the unprocessed rolled oats. Fresh fruit IS cheaper than chips and Cookies.

It definitely can be done, but you cant have the convenience of packaged foods, that's the pay off.

As for the exercise, well I sympathise. I work and study too. I get home some nights, I'm so darn tired, but I MAKE myself go and run, first thing. Before I sit down and relax. I put it first. I have SO much work to do at the moment, but half an hour to fit in a run, that isnt going to make or break anything. And feeling healthy and in control of my eating and exercise makes me way more productive anyway. I also run becuase it costs nothing and its the quickest most efficient option. It would take me an hour and a half to go and do a spin class, I can get similar exercise in 40 minutes by lacing up my shoes and heading out the front door - and yes, rain, hail or shine I go anyway.

its harsh but its the bald truth. You have to find the time and the inclination to make these efforts or you have to choose to live with your weight.

Edited by Jachut

I agree with Jachut. It is cheaper to eat healthy but you have to be willing to spend a few minutes to buy it, prepare it and store it. In the time it takes to go through drive through a couple of times a day, you can shop once a week and accomplish much more in the way of healthy eating. My exercise time is in the morning. It's the first thing I do. I don't allow anything else until it is done. I walk on the treadmill and weight train. The treadmill only takes a few minutes and I feel so good afterwards. I incline so I burn more calories. I use 1.5 lb weights on each wrist. Sometimes I use them throughout the day just to help with the arm toning. It may be good for you to get a piece of paper and write down what a day looks like for you and how long it takes you to do each task. Then eliminate some of the things you can do without and input your grocery shopping and some form of exercise. And Plain is right. I take the stairs instead of escalator and park as far away as I can get (and still be safe) when I go somewhere, etc. There are lots of things like that you can do to get in extra workouts.

Hey there!

Also, the doctor is meant to help you, not to be scared of. This is your jouney and he is there to help you. It cost to much money to feel intimidated by him. Use him to help you.:D good luck with your journey!!

:mad:I'm gonna be the mean one of the group.

Your not scared of the doctor your embarrassed to show back up and not have lost weight. Do you really think your the first person he has seen this happen too? Get over your own feelings of failure and go see the dr... The minute you see him, is the minute you stop feeling like a failure and moving on with your journey. What your doing now isn't making you feel like a success!

Exercise...all excuses. Get up 30 minutes earlier then you do in the morning and move...all you have to do is move. I guarantee there is 30 minutes somewhere in your day that you are doing nothing. The more you move the more energy you have and that makes you move even more and then you will lose more weight.

Don't waste this great opportunity that you have. There are so many people that want to get this done and can't because of the cost and no insurance. You are one of the lucky ones.

You need to change your mind set, get back to the dr, NOW, and get started all over again.

Your 20 years old... once you get this done and you get to live the rest of your life healthy and happy... I waited until I was 44 to take care of my problem and missed out on a lot of years.

I say all of this with love:smile2:... I think you need a swift kick in the booty to get going again, stop making excuses and move on. You can't change the past but you can steer your future in the right direction!

Good luck to you :D and get moving!

I agree with DanBar .... you desperately need to go to the doctor. Among other issues, you more than likely need a fill, and a fill would help you do better.

Cost of food. Yeah, I know, it's not cheap. I support a family of 3. There are ways to cut your expenses. Want good quality Protein? go to www.angelfoodministries.com I don't know if it is in your state (I believe it is in 34 states). It is church operated, but is a co-op basically. You can buy foods for what is approaching wholesale cost. You do not have to qualify financially, anybody can take advantage of this because it increases their buying power. They have what they call a "signature box", assorted specialty meats boxes and a really good fruit and vegetable box. Check it out. Steak, chops, chicken, quite an assortment.

Then, follow Plain's advice....cook several meals at once. When I cook on my grill, especially, I will cook ahead....then it only has to be re-heated.

Jachut mentions whole oatmeal...here in the States, look for packages that say "steel cut". These are whole oats.

Time for exercise? Again, Plain made a good suggestion ... park at the far end of the parking lot, on the top level of the parking deck, use the stairs instead of the elevator. It adds up. Get a bicycle and RIDE THE BIKE to school if you can.

And, JOURNAL what you eat...every bite. Only you are going to see your journal so please be honest with yourself. Track what you eat and at what time you eat it. You will see a pattern emerge. Are you snacking while you're studying? Then study at the library. Are you eating crap for Breakfast? Then plan a healthy Breakfast. I have Greek yogurt with honey and an ounce of low fat cheese. Every bit as easy as fast food but a heck of a lot healthier. There are free online food journaling options that can help you because they will also track calories for you.

Lastly, keep some healthy Snacks ready to eat. Boiled eggs are pretty much all Protein. Low fat cheese. Low fat cottage cheese. Fresh fruit. The list goes on and on.

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing!!

Hello my name is De Anna... this is my first post... my surgery date was 01-06-09 I have lost roughly 42lbs... I haven't seen my srugeon since April... Last time I saw him he just seemed so disappointed I wasn't loosing more. I've been scared 2 go back, but I'm not loosing anymore... I'm stuck I'm going up and down between 7lbs. I go to school 5 days a week as well as work, I just feel like I dont have it in me 2 exercise. As fasr as eatting... being a college student, I dont have the finacial means 2 eat healthy all the time.. I try my best when I can but it isn't always easy. Point is, does anyone have any advice how 2 get back on track and stay on it??? I'd like 2 see my Dr. to get a fill but I just want to loose a little more before I go back...

Don't be discouraged and don't be afraid to go back for an adjustment. I felt the same way as u do at first. It took 3 adjustments to hit the sweet spot as my doctor said and when this happened...the weight began to fall off. I didn't want to go back either and was disappointed in myself. For me, it took hitting that sweet spot for me to feel the benefits of the band. It is important to do what ur doctor says. :blink: