Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long time lurker with some questions!

Hello everyone! I first must say that I've been "lurking" on these boards for months, and the information and support I've found have been the most invaluable tool through this whole process.

I was banded this past Friday, August 14th. Since then I've been having the typical soreness from the surgery, however I am experiencing this strange thing that is beginning to concern me. I do have a phone call out to my surgeon, but haven't heard back from him yet. Hopefully some of you can help shed a light!

I have a feeling in my chest of intense pressure. I feel like my stomach is coming up into my esophagus. There are times that I need to apply pressure with my two fingers on that area, just below my breast bone, and massage gently. It makes me very short of breath, and at the time not able to swallow anything. Could this just still be swelling from surgery? Is this a normal sensation that will go away after I'm healed, or is it something that I should be concerned with?

Thanks so much, and I look forward to being a more active member of this community.

First of all, congrats on the banding, AAAAND congrats on having already put in a call to your surgeon. It always irks me when people post horrible symptoms (I'm not referring to your post, BTW) and expect internet strangers to advise them:

Hey guys, I was banded yesterday and I'm coughing up a huge amount of blood. Now I'm weak and dizzy and feel like I'm about to pass out. I can barely stay awake to type this. Should I call my doc?

Ok, all fun aside, it sounds ok so far to me. People heal at different speeds. I don't know your medical history, but there are many conditions that can significantly slow the healing process......so absolutely it is feasable that your stomach is still irritated from the recent trauma. If you've been taking it easy, following post op instructions, chances are that you're fine....just still a little sore. It's a good thing to ask the doc, though. That's what they're there for! :sad:

Thanks so much for the reply! For the most part I'm feeling ok, just pretty concerned about this. I've also gone through the typical "did I do the right thing?" feelings, and feelings of "Oh, I just want a cheeseburger!!", but other than that I'm doing ok. I hope to hear back from my doc tomorrow morning, and I'll post what his answer is. I've done some searching for these symptoms on this board and wasn't able to find anything. Hopefully it'll be a quick and easy fix!

Hello Mrswiseguy,

For me the worst part of the recovery was feeling like my chest was so heavy and it was an effort to breath. I described the feeling of intense pressure like an elephant was sitting on my chest. I believe it was a combination of the gas used during surgery and just from everything being moved around while the surgeon placed my band. Your band is located just below the breast bone.

You should feel better within a week.

Donna

Be sure you do your breathing exercises.

Thank you everyone so much for your replies! I heard from the surgeon this morning, and this is what he had to say. He thinks that it's just my body "getting used to the band". It sounds to him like maybe my esophagus is going into a spasm. When I left the hospital they gave me a script for Prilosec, with instructions to take it once a day. He has asked me to up it to twice a day, and also include a gas reliever such as "Beano" (available over the counter), to see if this will relieve some of the symptoms.

I'm glad he wasn't concerned! While I haven't had any other problems with gas after the surgery, maybe there was just a little bit trapped in there and that's making it worse? As long as this is a temporary thing that my body will adjust to, that's good enough for me!