Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be Hungry???

Hey all!!!....I have not been "banded" yet...I am waiting on pre-auth....I am just wondering in the weeks before your first fill are you hungry??????:sad:

Some people do not get hungry, whether it be because they were filled during surgery or they were swollen still. I had pretty good restriction, I could last 3-3.5 hours between meals up until my first fill. I wouldn't let myself go longer than 4 hours without eating. Now that I've had my first fill I can go 4-5 hours.

So everyone is different. More than likely you will experience bandster hell, where you have no restriction until your first fill and you're working off will power alone.

Good luck!

*giggles*...well thank you "unforgettable" for your brutal honesty!!:sad: I haven't heard of "bandster hell" until now...but I'm expecting it will be delightful!!! (haha)...Thanks again for quick answer and honesty...nice to know what your in for!!!

I was banded 2.5 weeks ago with no fill and I haven't been hungry. I am on purees/mushes now and like Unforgettable, I can go about 4 hours in between meals. As long as I eat every 4 hours, I am fine.

I usually have 1/2 c Breakfast around 8; 1/2 c lunch around noon, then a snack around 4 (2 oz jar baby food fruit or about 2 oz yogurt), then 1/2 c dinner around 7-7:30.

Thank you bookworm....I truly appreciate your taking the time to answer that for me!!!

My first fill was at 6 weeks. I really wasn't hungry the first 4 weeks, but the last 2 weeks before my fill my hunger returned but wasn't unbearable. I think knowing that first fill was not far away helped somewhat. People really vary on this.

If you haven't read it already, be prepared that you may not lose any weight immediately after surgery - that's another aspect of Bandster Hell. I lost the first week after surgery, but over the next 5 weeks before my first fill I gained and lost the same 3 pounds. Just remind yourself that this is a time for healing, not focusing on the scale. Some lose, but many maintain or gain in this time period.

Good luck!!

Hey all!!!....I have not been "banded" yet...I am waiting on pre-auth....I am just wondering in the weeks before your first fill are you hungry??????:blink:

hey neener!

I can say that those who are not hungry while waiting for their first fill are in the minority! If you have a chance to look at some of the blogs out there and read peoples journeys, you will see what I am talking about!

And yes, it is known as bandster hell and I think most people arent prepared for the hunger. For example, my nutritionist led me to believe that I would only be able to eat small amounts of food from the moment after surgery on. Tisk Tisk...she lied! About 5-6 days after surgery I started to get hungry and once I was healed, I was very hungry. I didnt give in though, bc I didnt want to move backwards...so during the time before you first fill...you have to rely on your WILLPOWER!

I didnt get any restriction after my first fill, so I kept going back in until finally after my 3rd fill in as many weeks I had restriction! Then you have to deal with the head hunger...if only they made a band for the brain!

But you will get through bandster hell and come out on the other side!

Good luck!

Amy