Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling People Who Cook Mexican Meals

While looking for Poblano Chilie's at the store, (I never bought them before and wasn't sure what I was looking for) I ask a guy which ones they were. He pointed to one and said he thought that was it, he said they weren't hot, and that his wife uses them for stuffing. Then a lady came around the corner and he ask her if that was the one (she was on the phone) and she ask her husband what the name of the peppers she used to stuff was called. Well, it was the one they guy showed me. By the way while cutting one of these I stuck a big bite in my mouth and let me tell you that they are hot!

Anyway, now I am curious as to what they use to stuff these peppers with. The guy talked about cheese, and I don't know what the lady used. Can anybody tell me what they use to stuff them with and do you have any recipes for them?

I am not any master chef or anything - but I know that you can put about anything that you happen to like into a pepper and it will come out tasting great...

Poblanos typically are not hot. I have never eaten one raw before, so perhaps they lose some spiciness when cooked??? If the person at the store said his wife uses them for stuffing then I bet you were looking at poblanos. They are dark green, darker and longer than a bell pepper.

Here's a picture I found on the internet:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:tWaUYaeYQIsJ:www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/484770/2/istockphoto_poblano_chile_pepper_484770.jpg

Hope this helps.

What are you cooking??? I use them for chiles rellenos (stuffed chiles dipped in egg batter and fried) and sometimes I roast and peel them and add them to enchiladas. I stuff them with either Monterrey Jack or a mexican cheese called queso oaxaca. I'll look up some of my recipes and PM them to you.

Most of the chili rellanos I get here are stuffed with cheese. When I was in Oaxaca they stuff them with shredded meat (pork, chicken). I know somewhere I have had them with a meat, cheese, rice mixture.

MMM, i'm getting hungry. How am I supposed to practice restrain when food is on my mind...Celeste

I usually use them to make chili Rellanos. I usually toast them on top of the stove then wrap in plastic bag or wet kitchen towel and when they have cooled down enough I peel them. I stuff them with cheese and roll them in flower then egg whites then fry in deep oil. Or else I tear them apart after I have toasted them and add them into a hamburger potato Soup. I think it's like your Tortilla soup but with out the Tortilla. Usually they are not hot but sometimes you do get a hot one...

Betty, keep in mind that all the heat is inside the seeds and the center of the pepper. Some people blanch them, some roast them. Remove all the insides, rinse your hands, then nibble on the pepper for one taste. Then carefully crack a seed open and touch it to your tongue (watch out, that's the hot part.) When working with chilis, keep your hands away from your eyes and your girl parts! Trust me.

I use a variety of chili peppers when I make salsa or anything Mexican. Each one has a different taste, each has a different heat index, some are sweeter, etc. Some aren't even hot. The different colors and tastes make the dish your own creative work of art.

Remove all the insides, rinse your hands, then nibble on the pepper for one taste. Then carefully crack a seed open and touch it to your tongue (watch out, that's the hot part.) When working with chilis, keep your hands away from your eyes and your girl parts!

I actually cleaned it and rinsed it before I started slicing it up. That is what surprised me that no seeds etc. was on it. It burned my lips/tongue, but it went away after a while. I am used to eating hot stuff, so it wasn't too bad. I just was surprised because the guy said it wasn't hot.

A long time ago when I was young I cleaned a whole bushel of hot peppers, and burned my hands really bad. I walked the floor for three days crying because they were on fire. I learned my lesson then. If I have any amount to clean I now wear rubber gloves or have DH clean them. I'm glad I didn't touch any girlie parts then!

My Dad used to eat hot peppers all the time. No body could find any that was too hot for him. (I think he burned all his taste buds off his tongue lol) Up until the day he died, everyone would bring hot peppers over to him and say I bet you can't eat this one. He could always eat them and say that wasn't that bad. My DH eats hot peppers all the time, but when he tried to eat some of the ones my Dad could he couldn't do it. I called him a woosey (?) then! :D:D

:D I would like to have your recipe for tortilla Soup. My husband had some in New Mexico that I have not been able to make just right for him. I would also the hamburger potato soup. Please! In case you haven't noticed I love recipes!

I am on a mexican kick myself lately, so that recipie for tortilla Soup sounds amazing!

I am not a fan of hot/spicey stuff - but I sure love mexican food without the spice!!!

I honestly think that if I had to choose just one culture's food to eat from for the rest of my life, I would choose mexican. My husband is friends with a guy who had a mexican girlfriend and let me tell you - the woman can cook!!!!!! We've gotten tamales and elephant ears and other things from her before and it is all absolutely divine!!!

My neighbor gave this book to me with the recipe, and I am trying it for the first time. I did alter the recipe so I will tell you what I did at certain parts. I also have not tried the total finished part, but the first part has a good flavor.

Tortilla Soup with Roasted chicken and Avocado Relish

2 Tablespoons Corn Oil

1/2 cup Diced White Onion (I used a whole large onion)

1/4 cup roasted, seeded, and minced chile ancho

1/4 cup diced poblano chile (I used a whole one)

1/2 cup coarsely chopped Tomato (I used 2 roma tomatoes)

2 tablespoons finely diced jalapeno (I used 1 large one)

2 tablespoons minced garlic (I used about 4-5 cloves)

3 cups chicken broth (I used a large can)

1 cup coarse-cut and toasted corn tortilla, broken into chip size pieces

(I used 5 toasted in the oven and broke up)

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste

1 cup roasted and shredded chicken meat (I used a whole roasted chicken)

2 (6 inch) flour tortillas cut in long thinn strips and fried (or baked)

1/4 cup diced avocado (I'll probably use a whole one)

4 cilantro sprigs

1/4 cup grated, dried monterey jack cheese (any hard cheese, yellow or white can be substituted)

1 lime cut into 4 wedges

Heat the corn oil in a heavy pot over high heat and saute the onion, chile ancho, poblano chile, tomato, jalapeno and garlic until just tender. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, cooking until the Soup has reduced in volume by 1/4. Add the toasted corn tortilla pieces and the chopped cilantro, and then season to taste. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1/2 hour. Puree the soup with a hand-held blender (when using a blender to puree, make sure you do not seal the blender airtight with a hot liquid in it while blending, or it might "explode," causing burns and most certainly , a mess). (I have one of those hand held Hamiliton Beach blenders that you blend drinks etc. with and that is what I used. It worked great.) Add the chicken to the soup and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. For each serving, ladle the soup into a large soup bowl, or crock, and lay some strips of fried (or baked) tortilla across the soup. Spoon some diced avocado into the center of the soup and lay a cilantro sprig across the tortilla strips. Sprinkle dried jack cheese over the soup, squeeze a lime wedge over it, and serve.

Now, I wanted more than just juice so that is the reason I added the whole chicken, and then I also added some zuccchini (green and yellow squash) and a few carrots. I went to the part where you ladle the soup into the bowls and that is where I stopped. Now when I get ready to eat it, I will finish with the strips cheese, etc.

This sounds like a really long process, but it didn't take anytime at all and it is very easy. It has lots of meat and some veggies to make it lapband friendly.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for all the good info and resipes.

I love Mexican food!

Bubb, I think the dry skined peppers and stiff egg whites are the trick for Chili Rellanos, am I right? I also stuff them with shrimp and cheese.< /p>

I must make the soup!