Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi - anyone else starting this journey OVER 50??

Hi, I am 51 yrs old and live in Bethlehem, PA. I am finally, at the suggestion of my GYN, considering Lap band surgery. I am currently at my top all time weight of 314 and both me and my doctor have said ENOUGH! BMI is 52.

My insurance, Highmark BS, covers 80% after 6 mos. of supervised diet.

The only health problem I have is sleep apnea. I have slept with a CPAP for the past 15 years.

I would love to meet people close to my age going through the same thing as me....

Great to be here and meet all you awesome people!

Deb ;)

Hi Decolady, I am just turning 51 next month. Can't believe it but yep. I was banded on 06-17. Couldn't take it anymore either. It is never too late to start as far as I am concerned. My mother in law has been watching my progress and is now considering it. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Decolady (Deb)

I am 54 and just starting, waiting on the insurance process. ): I was told about the 6 month weight mgmt by the doctors office, but my insurance co (United Health Care) told me my policy does not have that restriction...if I have 5 years of medical records showing a BMI over 35% considering my other health problems of High BP, diabetes, etc. So I went to my PCP today to have them send my records. I then called the and talked doctors office and they said they would file my pre-cert as soon as they get my PCP's records.

So I guess we may be starting this process about the same time! Good luck and keep in touch.

Susan

Houston, TX

Hi Susan, Hi Greytz,

Nice to meet you...

I am going to the free intro meeting on Sept. 3rd. The surgeon I want to use says you must start the process by going to this meeting. He also requires the 6 months of dieting, regardless of your insurance. I think that is probably a good thing...

What has your experience been so far?

Deb

Deb,

I am going to the free seminar on Wednesday. Tomorrow I have to go to the gastroenterologist (sp?) for a consultation to have a EGD done to see if I have a hiatial (sp?) hernia. I have already done the sleep study to see if I have sleep apnea, then I go to a nutritionist and then a psychiatrist to get a release to have the procedure. Then it is just waiting on insurance to approve, if I don't have to do the 6 months of weight mgmt.

Wish I had done this a few years ago, it seems every year my doctor keeps adding some sort of pill for me to take....aaahhhhh!

Keep in touch and let me know how your experience goes.

Susan

Hi

I will be 51 next month and was banded in May. At this point I have to say that I think this was the best decision I have ever made. I have lost over 30 lbs and can't believe how much better I feel. I have gone from five medications down to three and the dosage amounts have been reduced on those. The thing I have noticed the most is I am feeling so much more comfortable in my body and my movement is much easier. I even took a jet ski ride with my son-in-law.

I don't think I would have gotten on that thing a few months ago. I am looking forward to all of the changes that being banded is bringing to my life. I really do feel like I am starting over at 50!

I started this when I was 52 and just got banded. I had most of the co-morbidities and was taking 12 meds a day, including insulin. I've been able to get rid of most of them. You're never too old to get healthy. I'm going to age anyway; might as well do it with a smaller butt!

I will be 50 in a little over a month. I was banded on May 22nd and I am really happy.

My insurance and surgeon required the 6 month or more diet 1st as well. Deb you may want to go ahead and get started on Weight Watchers or another one of your choice that you will have proof of for insurance. They want to know that you are capable of losing weight and following a plan.

Best wishes to you and all of us. Gaye

I'm 53 and was banded in July. I'm going for my first fill this weekend.

There is a thread for over 50's if you would like to check that out. Lots of very nice people chatting and there is some good info and some not so good info.

The weight loss before banding is important, it really helps with the hunger issues afterwards and helps with the healing process.

Good luck and hope to see you around.

Hi I am 59 and was banded 13 months ago. As of this morning I am down 98lbs. As with most others This is one of the best things I have done for myself. Good Luck on your Journey. I started with my visit in Jan and had surgery in July so it was not quick..

Wow, hi everyone and thanks for responding! I am going to look for the over 50 thread...

Sounds like everyone has not regretted their decision to have this done.

Glad to meet you all!

THANKS

Deb

:D

Hi Guys, I'm 60 and my wife is 59. We are both getting banded over Thanksgiving weekend. My insurance has turned me down twice in 3 years. My BMI varies between 38 and 40. They said I wasn't heavy enough. Can you imagine that. I have all the usual problems of being over weight and have had enough. My wife's BMI is 34. She has no medical issues, but we are tired of the extra weight. We are going to Tijuana and are using Dr Francisco Gonzalez. The price was right and he appears to have a very solid reputation!

Good luck to all of you with your weight loss. Hopefully in a short period of time we will all be looking and feeling good!:biggrin:

Mark (Cookies husband)

Hi Deb,

I am 57 and was banded 6/25/09. I wish I had done this years ago. I finally said enough is enough as I watched the scale going higher and higher and more things going wrong with me. It's finally nice to see it going down and feeling good.

Good Luck!!

I was 52 when I was banded 7/07 - I am now 54 and 112 lbs lighter - feel 10 yrs younger - have tons of energy - the quality of my life has improved 10 fold...

It's the best thing I have ever done - Don't know why I waited so long...

Good Luck on your Journey..

Hi Susan, Hi Greytz,

Nice to meet you...

I am going to the free intro meeting on Sept. 3rd. The surgeon I want to use says you must start the process by going to this meeting. He also requires the 6 months of dieting, regardless of your insurance. I think that is probably a good thing...

What has your experience been so far?

Deb

Deb,

I turned 50 last November and have been "morbidly obese" (don't you hate that phrase?!) since I was in my 20's. When I turned 50 I said "enough is enough, I need help". I saw my surgeon that month and started the six month "dieting program" with my primary doctor and was banded 7/31/09. I thought the six month thing was ridiculous at first since I have been overweight with joint problems and high blood pressure for years. But at the end of the six months, I realized it had been extremely good for me. I had plenty of time to work on my eating habits, learn more about lapband, and prepare myself mentally and emotionally for the coming changes. So if the surgeon requires it, make the best of it (it will go faster than you think) and take advantage of this website. It has been very helpful to me. I wish you the best in your journey.