Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op liquid diet - what was yours, and how long did you do it?

Hi all,

I am scheduled for surgery in 15 days (yes, I am counting!) and my surgeon has prescribed a 3 day ONLY CLEAR liquid diet.

I am getting antsy to start losing weight, and I was thinking about doing a full liquid diet soon, for a week or maybe more, then switch to the 3 days of Clear liquids. Do you think this would make it easier or harder to stay on the 3 days of Clear Liquids?

Also, just wondering what your liquid diets look like, trying to decide if I should do this.

Thanks!:)

My pre-op was 10 days of 2 protien shakes a day and 1 lean/green meal. I used unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury protien powder (unjury.com) and SF Carnation Instant Breakfast with skim milk. Lean and green is 4oz of lean protien and one cup of veggies.

I would do it if you really want to get started. It will jump start your weight loss, shrink your liver and make for a safer surgery.

Go for it!

Since my BMI was on the "lower" side, I only had to do a 3 day pre-op diet which consisted of medifast liquid products only. It was personally hell for me, can't imagine doing it for longer than that. If you want to do the full liquids before, more power to you. Just remember this is a marathon, not a race, and you WILL eventually get to goal.

Good luck!

My pre-op was 10 days of 2 protien shakes a day and 1 lean/green meal. I used unflavored unjury protien powder (unjury.com) and SF Carnation Instant Breakfast with skim milk. Lean and green is 4oz of lean protien and one cup of veggies.

I would do it if you really want to get started. It will jump start your weight loss, shrink your liver and make for a safer surgery.

Go for it!

Suzanne, how much did you lose on your pre-op diet?

I am concerned that if I don't do something I will just continue to gain more. That means more to lose, obviously!

Thanks for the ideas, your diet sounds very reasonable.

My doc had me on two days clear liquids pre op. I had surgery Aug 13th and I did fine. However I am on 7 days post op of liquids only and don't move to softfoods for another week. Good Luck!

Hey...I am right there with you counting down to Sept. 1st!

I also don't have a long pre-op liquid diet to follow, but I wanted a big jumpstart on the process. I followed a modified liquid diet starting last week, but broke down and had to have real Protein over the weekend. I restarted my efforts today and have put the following items on my 10 day full liquid diet:

BSN Lean Dessert Protein shakes - these are AMAZING! I had a Cinnamon Roll one this morning and it tasted like a liquid Cinnabon!! I make it with skim milk instead of Water to get the extra Protein, but I have made them with just Water and they were thinner, but still yummy

V8 Select Vegetable Soups (they are in green boxes). These are 120-160 calories a serving, 2 servings to a box. I eat the whole box for a meal. They have a thicker consistency and I get 4 servings of veggies in. I love the Butternut Squash and Blended Vegetable. It also adds a little variety.

sugar free Jello puddings - I love the new Rice puddings - they come in Creme Brulee, Cinnamon and Original flavor

Sobe Zero Calorie Lifewater - a great way to get a lot of water in with a variety of flavors. I also do Crystal Lite

I am keeping it at about 1000 calories a day, 60-65g protein. I admit, I am hungry a little bit, but it isn't too bad.

Good luck..we will be on the loser's bench soon!

hello everyone, i am kind in the same boat, i need to loose 17lbs by oct1, i am scared that i won't, so i have started today, i dont even know what to eat, i have Protein Shakes ans Jello but i need some ideas, ans also how much did you guys loose on you pre-op diet and how long did it take?

I lost 11 pounds in 10 days and that included Christmas dinner (just my luck that my preop covered Chrismtas and New Years - ha ha). My doc said to have that one meal and to eat what I wanted within reason.

Hey...I am right there with you counting down to Sept. 1st!

I also don't have a long pre-op liquid diet to follow, but I wanted a big jumpstart on the process. I followed a modified liquid diet starting last week, but broke down and had to have real Protein over the weekend. I restarted my efforts today and have put the following items on my 10 day full liquid diet:

BSN Lean Dessert Protein shakes - these are AMAZING! I had a Cinnamon Roll one this morning and it tasted like a liquid Cinnabon!! I make it with skim milk instead of Water to get the extra protein, but I have made them with just Water and they were thinner, but still yummy

V8 Select Vegetable Soups (they are in green boxes). These are 120-160 calories a serving, 2 servings to a box. I eat the whole box for a meal. They have a thicker consistency and I get 4 servings of veggies in. I love the Butternut Squash and Blended Vegetable. It also adds a little variety.

sugar free Jello puddings - I love the new Rice puddings - they come in Creme Brulee, Cinnamon and Original flavor

Sobe Zero Calorie Lifewater - a great way to get a lot of water in with a variety of flavors. I also do Crystal Lite

I am keeping it at about 1000 calories a day, 60-65g protein. I admit, I am hungry a little bit, but it isn't too bad.

Good luck..we will be on the loser's bench soon!

Sounds like a good plan, have you lost anything yet?

I realize this is not a race, but thinking a jumpstart to weight loss might be a good idea....

I'm doing a minimum of 3 weeks prescribed fluids, but I'll probably start weaning myself from food a week before. Exactly what I'll be consuming is still to be determined as I am allergic to both soy and milk so the shake thing may not sit well with my tummy. Plus side of puking your guts out though is good weight loss! And yes, I realise puking isn't really what I want to be doing right before stomach surgery... as I said, still in the planning stages. I sent my nutritional counsellor scurrying for the nearest medical library because I am an odd duck.

My doctor required 2 weeks Liquid Protein. I stuck to the EAS Soy Protein Powder mixed with Water and ice and I added 2 teaspoons of sugar free fat free pudding mix (powder) to each drink. Had 3 a day. Lost 23 pounds in two weeks. First two days were rough!!! Remind me to hide the skeletons of the co-workers that felt it necessary to stand around and talk about what they had for lunch each day! Anyway, after day 2 it actually got easier and I did not cheat once! I knew that if I cheated then this whole surgery was not going to work for me! I am 11 days post op and I'm still swollen but not hungry!! I'm still doing the liquid Protein but that's because I have to meet my 60 grams of protein a day and that's the only way I know to do it! I have had a few bites of corn and crab bisque one day (completely full after 4 spoons!) and some chicken and andouille gumbo (no rice) another day and was "stuffed" after a few bites! That made me feel good knowing that A) I kept it down and ;) that I didn't eat a full bowl just as an appetizer as I would have normally done in the past! I go for my follow up this thursday. Not sure what will take place but I will share when I find out!

My pre-op liquid diet was 10 days prior to surgery. Then again for 2 weeks post surgery. It really wasn't bad. It consisted of

3 Protein shakes a day

as many bowls of chicken broth

as much sugar free fudgesicles, Jello

2 cups or less of apple, grapefruit, orange juice

2 cups or less of skim milk, or low fat yogurt

Hope that helps!

2 cups or less of apple, grapefruit, orange juice

2 cups or less of skim milk, or low fat yogurt

Hope that helps!

I could handle this but I'm banned from fruit entirely as it contains sugar, and I'm allergic to milk. Bummer. I think I'm going to look like this --->;) at the sight of a stick of gum fairly soon.

My surgeon is only requiring that I do a 3 day pre-op. It's sugar-free Popsicles, SF Jell-O, broth from chicken or beef noodle Soup, coffee or tea, skim milk, Vitamin Water and juice if it's cut half and half with Water. I'm also supposed to drink Protein shakes and aim for 50 - 60 grams of Protein a day. And I'm to start on multi-Vitamins and Calcium.

I'm going to do a 5 day pre-op, however. I know I have a fatty liver and I just want to make sure that baby shrinks up good :hurray:. My doc didn't seem too concerned though. He gave no indication that the pre-op diet was to lose weight, just to shrink the liver and kind of clean out the system.

I've already started to try to sort of maybe give up Diet Coke. I was going to have one tonight. Ordered it along with a salad at a McDonald's. Well, I guess the WLS gods were watching 'cause the idiot teenager gave me real Coke. Urghh. I really, really wanted a last Diet Coke. Oh well, maybe tomorrow :).

Good luck on all your journeys!

TPG

Sounds like a good plan, have you lost anything yet?

I realize this is not a race, but thinking a jumpstart to weight loss might be a good idea....

I have lost a total of 17 pounds since July 9th. I have lost 2 since starting my modified liquid diet on Thursday - I do go to the gym 5 days a week for an hour alternating doing the weight line, treadmill and zumba class. My goal is to lose 5 more pounds by the 27th, when I have my nutritionist meeting and hopefully 4 more by surgery on the 1st. Lofty goals, but I am going to try. The main thing is I am going to be losing it all eventually and won't crash and burn since the lapband is in my near future!

Did you start yet? How's it going?