Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Dilemma

Issue #1 – I’m a borderline case. BMI is 37.7. I have the usual aches and pains that go along with being this size, but no co-morbidities (that I know of). Also, I have a family history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cancer, and obesity.

Issue #2 – I’m in treatment for depression. Blah blah blah, long story, but it’s been a major contributor to my weight gain – especially in the last 6 months. Yesterday, Dr. switched my meds, hoping the new combo will be more effective.

Issue #3 – I have been working with a diet coach/behavior therapist since June. Her m.o. is “Go slow. Focus on changing one bad habit at a time.” Apparantly I'm a lost cause becuase I’ve actually <i>gained</i> 13 pounds since starting with her. @#%&^!!

Issue #4 - My physical is on 10/29, so I have a whole month to agonize over all this.

The Dilemma:

I now find myself in the bizarre position of NOT wanting to lose weight. Has the world gone mad? I feel like I have to hang onto every pound I’ve got because it may make the difference between approved and denied. Meanwhile, I’ve got coach lady encouraging me to exercise, and eat veggies, and at the same time, I’m worried that the new meds might actually work. The problem is, I could lose 10-15 pounds by myself. But the band is the only thing that’s going to help me lose the 90 or so that really need to go.

On the one hand, I want to do things that are healthier for myself. On the other hand, if I can gain 10 more pounds, that puts me in a better position to be approved.

Ack! What do I do?

You have asked some good questions here. Have you gone to a surgeon for an opinion? They have a list of co morbidities and the list might surprise you....you may have some you never even thought of.

The first step in my opinion is to go to a Lap Band surgeon for a consultation and to get the band rolling. He will tell you if you are a good surgical candidate and also if he thinks you would qualify insurance wise.

I went through the same thing....to lose or not to lose while I was waiting to have the surgery.

Good luck

Are you trying to get insurance to pay? If not, it may not be as much of an issue. I was at a BMI of 36.5 with high blood pressure and foot problems. Everyone's feet hurt when they get heavy so you can always put that in. No way to prove or disprove it.

If you are worried about the 10 pounds, I have read of people who put rolls of quarters in their pockets, wear weighted shoes (mine have 3 pound weights in the sole), etc. to get approved.

I think you are worrying for nothing if you are self pay. Showing the doctor that you have the ability to change with your coach and exercise he may be more willing to do the surgery. Don't stress and try to prepare your self by reading and preparing for your surgery. Good luck. Celeste

Sleepyjean,

I'm in the same boat. My BMI is 38.4; I'm right at 100 pounds over weight. I have weight related issues, but not the typical co-morbidities that "assure" surgery. Since I'm seeking insurance coverage, I'm trying not to lose weight until I'm approved and have a surgery date.

Karen, you’re right. We’re in the same boat. I’m trying to get insurance to cover it, because then I would only be $500 out of pocket instead of $15,000. I know there’s always the Mexico option and I’m pretty sure I’d get approval, but I don’t have the money. Unfortunately, I don’t have anything I can sell or refinance, and I fear debt like little kids fear the boogie man. It’s almost – but not quite – a phobia. The stress would probably cancel out any health benefits gained from losing weight. Good grief.

I was just working it out, if I financed it and went to Mexico; it would take me nine years to pay it all off.

You can get a 5 yr loan for the purpose at Capital One - the pmts would be around $300 - $400 depending on your credit standing and the rates that they offer. I checked it out yesterday - based on $15k cost. :]

I was in the same position. My BMI is 35. But I know within myself that if I do nothing now it will be 40 in a couple of years and 45 a couple of years after that. I know my weight is out of control, I just havent gotten there yet.

But I did the exact same thing, made every effort to hang onto every gram of weight until I saw the surgeon and chose the surgeon based on who had the first appointment I could get into. I ate pretty badly for a few weeks there.

The comorbidities may surprise you - I didnt think my sore ankle would be reason enough for surgery but it is. And the psychological side of being obese is considered seriously, not just written off because you dont have high blood pressure. On all my information, depression and social isolation are listed as comorbidities.

Then again this is Australia, not the states and they are now starting to accept people with BMI's of 30-35 for banding as common practice.

I was so nervous and was accepted within 5 minutes with no argument at all from the surgeon.

i'm on antidepressants (xanax, seropram)

for about 14 years and my doctor decreased my meds cause

1st time after so long i feel happy and stronge! does this says something? :(

i feel it that slowly i will not need them anymore! sometimes i forget to take them!

i don't have anxiety, i don't feel that everything arround me is dark..

i think this surgery will be the solution for you too!

I was in the same position - and i ATE LIKE CRAZY trying to qualify when I really didn't need to - I had the co-morbidities - sore knee - real easy to have when you are heavy and snoring - gee - so many people have that -

I am sorry now that I put on that extra 30 lbs. - i had to lose that still....real silly of me.

Good luck and try the quarters....stuff your bra with them - tuck them under your stomach, etc.....much better than losing the weight you don't need to put on.