Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

difference between being too full and eating the wrong food

Sorry this is long...but I do need your input...

How do you know the difference between being "full" and the possibilty of eating the wrong food?

I FINALLY got to eat Mexican today. It was wonderful...all the flavors and spices! Spicey foods never made me ill before, but I did have a hernia repaired. My surgery was 3 and 1/2 weeks ago.

I ate the shredded chicken from a chicken enchilada, refried Beans, and tortilla Soup -minus the cheese and tortillas. I had some hot sauce, no seeds just the juice, and did eat a total of maybe two chips dipped in the salsa. I took newborn baby bites and waited a good while in between.

But, after I ate, I didn't feel very good. I had to lie down and relax for a while, and for the next 3- hours I didn't feel well.

I have either diaphram spams or esesophageal spasms, I don't know which, so I take a medicine to help with that, but it does not relieve my symptoms.

SO. how do I know if I ate too much or ate the wrong food (spicey)? or, just the spasms?

Well, for my diet, chicken is a "solid" and I wasn't supposed to eat that until week 6.

Were you cleared per your doc to eat that? I ask because I know they are all different.

Well, for my diet, chicken is a "solid" and I wasn't supposed to eat that until week 6.

Were you cleared per your doc to eat that? I ask because I know they are all different.

Yes, this week I can have shredded chicken or tuna. Next week, I go on to real food...and I am scared :)

Your experience is so different from mine, I'm hard pressed to help you.. and your surgeon, IMHO, is an ass.

There I said it! LOL

I think (this is personal opinion, not medical advice) that what you are eating is way WAY too soon for your stage, especially since you had so much trouble with being too tight, swollen, etc.

I'm not a doc and don't even play one on TV (or here) but good grief I'd have thought that once you FINALLY got unfilled and things settled down, you'd need to take it slow and easy. If you vomited a lot post op (with being too tight etc) you may have slipped your band.

And what type of spasms do you have? Are you totally unfilled right now? What med do you take for it? (if you want to answer and it's too personal to post here please PM me)

If I were you, I'd be doing full liquids and mushies, proceeding REALLY carefully. I live in San Antonio and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican food (born and raised in El Paso which has even better more authentic food than here) but I wouldn't have gone for it at 3 1/2 weeks if I had the history you do. In fact I had a great worry free recovery and didn't have Mexican until week 6...(not counting refried Beans as mushies; they weren't spicey though) and then I had soft stuff...a chile relleno. I didn't even approach chips till week 8...they went down fine, but still I never had your issues! So I'm afraid it was too soon...

I'd also by now probably have changed surgeons.

I guess you should call him Monday and ask. You've had so many issues. If you were healing well, it were at week 6 or so, and you had those issues I'd "guess" that probably you just weren't used to the diet . If you are unfilled what you ate wasn't too much and should've been digested normally, providing you've healed well and your pouch and stoma didn't become agitated.

So...ask your doc. I wanted to share with you my thinking because I think your doc kind of pushes you around (like you don't know if you have diaphragm spasms...which are usually hiccups, or esophageal spasms, which can require band removal) so maybe I can help you figure out what to ask and what to do about your stomach.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Edited by RestlessMonkey