Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I considering before surgery

I will board a plane in 48 hours and fly to Monterrey, Mexico to undergo a radical surgical procedure to permanently implant a foreign device in my body. Hopefully this device will allow me to control how much food goes into my body.

Like all humans, I already have natural mechanisims that does this job, but for some reason, like 50+ percent of Americans, I have coached my body to override this natural mechanisim and eat more food than I require to live.

I am going to spend a lot of money for this procedure; I am going to risk my life when all it would take is to simply STOP OVEREATING. If I took the thousands of dollars I'm about to pay, and joined a fancy gym, or hired a personal trainer, or bought an expensive wardrobe 3 sizes too small...would I lose weight? Probably not.

What if the band fails, slips, erodes, infects, what will I do next? I am running out of options.

I think a lot of us had those questions and feelings when we were in the consideration mode. It is a terrifying thing to think of at times. But now, with most of my fears behind me, I am so glad I did it! There is always that little bit of what if something goes wrong but I have decided to put that behind me right now and concentrate on the present and attaining my goals. Good Luck!

I think most people considering the band have a lot of those same thoughts and questions. I know I did and still do. I have read the positives and negatives...the happy stories and the horror stories. I'm feeling that I'm well-informed and ready to change my life. What I've been doing sure hasn't worked. I read posts from others who seem to have been in my situation. If they are successful, why wouldn't I be? I plan to follow the rules and make good choices. Sure, there will be problems. I'll deal with them. And there could be an issue out of my control. I'll deal with that too if I have to. I just know that I don't want to spend any more time beating myself up for eating the wrong things, for having a freaking treadmill that I rarely use. Bought it with great intentions. It's gathering dust right now. I don't want to have ten different wardrobes...fat jeans, not-so-fat jeans, etc.

I hope that you find some inspiration on this forum. The people are great sources. They've BEEN there. They've had those same questions we're having. And they made the informed decision to change their lives forever. I hope and pray that I am also that strong, resolved, and successful. I hope you are too!!

I wish you the best of luck on this journey whatever you decide.:biggrin:

TPG

wow..they are going to band you with a BMI that low?

wow..they are going to band you with a BMI that low?

:biggrin: That frustrates me. Besides the fact that some surgeons will band at even lower BMIs, it really isn't "that low." . Sure in comparison to a BMI of 50 it's low, but it's still not healthy, still considered obese, can still lead to a handful of medical conditions, etc.

I applaud the OP for taking this step to prevent that number from creeping up any higher. I got banded at a BMI of 37 (maybe 36?) but that was the lowest BMI I've ever had and didn't ever want it to get higher again. It's just frustrating for us middle BMI-ers, seems like we can't get acceptance from the healthy low BMI because we're too fat and we can't get acceptance from the high BMI because we aren't fat enough. Let's just all support each other!

Jaciqltz, don't mind my rant it wasn't directed towards you, just triggered other thoughts and needed to vent about it.

I got banded with a 37 BMI in Monterrey as well. Are you going to Dr. Rumbaut? I had such a good experience and was VERY impressed with the hospital and hospital staff. This is the best decision I ever made for my personal health. So far (knock wood), I have not had any problems or complications, and the surgery was so much less of a big deal than I thought it would.

I can't remember if we've corresponded before, but there are photos of the hospital and some before & after (well, current!) pics on my blog. If you are feeling nervous, it might make you feel better to take a look. :)

Best wishes for a successful trip, surgery and beyond,

Catherine

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BabySpoons

Sometimes reading the posts here make me wonder if some people just weren't mentally ready for WLS and needed more time with the bariatric team psychiatrist. Complaining about the limited drink/food choices early on... blah..blah...blah. The living to eat mentality really needs to go and be replaced with eating to live. JS
      · 1 reply
      1. Bypass2Freedom

We have to remember that everyone moves at their own pace. For some it may be harder to adjust, people may have other factors at play that feed into the unhealthy relationship with food e.g. eating disorders, trauma. I'd hope those who you are referring to address this outside of this forum, with a professional.

This is a place to feel safe to vent, seek advice, hopefully without judgement.

Compassion goes a long way :)

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches