Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is a controversial topic. With repeated use, NSAIDS have the risk to cause ulcers for people, not just banded patients. We're talking close to daily use here. Obviously the last thing you would want with your band is an ulcer, a weakening of the stomach wall and lining. Also, some believe that if you take an NSAID in pill form, there's a chance of it sitting on the pouch and again irritating the stomach and causing ulcers. This is something you need to speak with your doctor about, as every doctor has a different take on this and you should follow his advice when it comes to medication.

My doctor approved occasional NSAID use. I took it in liquid form a couple times during the first weeks post-op and felt tremendous relief. My doctor also trusts my judgement as a nurse and felt comfortable that I would not be one to take it every day, but truly just on occasion.

NSAIDS can cause ulcers by inhibiting one of the prostaglandin pathways involved with protecting the lining of the stomach. Caffeine can relax the lower esophageal sphincter and cause reflux. Caffeine is also a diuretic that can dehydrate you. I have always been taught that caffeine is an appetite suppressant, but many on here would argue it is an appetite stimulant-this, in my opinion, might simply be from a burst of energy giving you increase motivation to eat *not proven, just a thought*

With that said, everything is ok in moderation. I am a caffine addict and cannot function without coffee :biggrin:

I am currently perscribed Celebrex for arthritis which is a nsaid does anyone think I will have trouble with that as my knees hate me and make me hate them with out my Celebrex

Jeepman, this is something I would ask your doctor about.

jeepman, I hope that works out. I'm assuming that my knees will bother me until I take off the weight. But I haven't had the opportunity to ask my doc yet.

I have been on relafen for the last few years due to back problems and osteoarthritis. I am trying to do without it completely, but it is really hard. Maybe after my surgery my doctor may consider the liquid form. I hope so!

Celebrex is a different form of NSAID that acts on a specific COX pathway which makes it generally safer for the stomach. I have only dealt w/ Celebrex briefly, but aren't those pills big? Nevertheless, I would consult your lap band doc (more so than your PCP) about Celebrex and band use.

The real relief for OA of your knees is going to be weightloss ;) good luck!