Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with questions

I went to the info session last night with my husband who came with me for support. I have some questions. Could you help me?

I am 5’2 256 (I can’t believe I got so big that number is huge to me). I rejoined WW to help get the process started; I had success with it a couple times before but inevitably the weight crept back on. I am committed to a life style change and think the band will be a great tool to keep me on track, and help me attain my healthy goals. I have high blood pressure & high cholesterol that are not medicated now.

I am worried about changing my eating habits, like the no drinking while eating. We go out to eat with friends once a month and we all enjoy cocktails with dinner. Will I be able to do that? How does alcohol work with the band?

I know with other weight loss surgeries there is excess skin that often gets removed after. Does this happen with Lap Band? Does that also get covered by insurance?

I had a couple relatives get the bypass done, and that is how they are know now...”ohh ya that’s Denise she is the one who had the bypass.” I don’t want the band to be how I am known. Do you think it is alright if I keep it between my doctor, husband, and myself?

What problems or complications can happen during surgery? Are there common post op problems or complications?

I need help deciding if this is the right path.

LadyBug,

Those are great questions and some of the same I had when I first "joined" this forum. If you peruse the different topics on the boards you'll find many answers. I have not yet been banded so I can't answer any of those questions for you but I can tell you there are many caring folks here who can and will.

It sounds like you are ready for this based on your joining of WW and going to a seminar. I did lots and lots of research before I attended my first seminar. Actually, because I had read so much here, I had few questions at the seminar.

There are many, many success stories on this forum and I'm sure you're going to get many responses. Good luck to you on your journey! Welcome to LBT!!

TPG

Welcome aboard, LadyBug:

I, too, had done WW for about 20 years and had various degrees of success. You sound like a good candidate for the band.

I had my band placed 2 weeks ago and I feel pretty good. The surgery went easily. I was a little worried about the anesthesia, because that's where problems can occur during surgery, but I woke up just fine. I was walking around later that evening and pretty mobile after that. There's an initial healing time when you get some pains and some gas. It passes. I went back to work five days after surgery and haven't had any problems. I'm a little hungry right now. I just started the mushy phase and I don't have a lot of restriction right now.

The important thing is to follow your doctor's orders. The only ones in which my doctor has seen complications are those who continued nsaids when told to stop and had bleeding during sugery. But follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Hello LadyBug!

My doctor's rule, as well as many others, is to wait 30 minutes before and after a meal before you drink. The reason behind this if you just ate and have your food sitting in your pouch keeping you full, adding liquids dilutes that and makes the food pass through the band quicker, thus not keeping you full for as long as it should.

Yes there can be excess skin, and for others there really isn't that much. It depends on a lot of things such as amount of weight loss, age, overall health, genetics, etc. Some insurances will pay for a panniculectomy if there is a medical reason such as rashes from the excess skin, but typically I believe most people pay out of pocket for plastic surgery. A panniculectomy removes just the skin itself, doesn't do any of the tightening of loose muscles like an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) will.

It is PERFECTLY acceptable to keep this surgery between only those that you wish to know. Preop, I only told my immediate family. I'm one month post-op and find myself being more open about it because I'm proud of my results, but still have kept it to just close family and friends. I'm naturally a shy person and wouldn't tell people my other medical history, so this is no different to me. This is your surgery on your body, so you only have to tell people you want to. Keep in mind in the future when you're losing lots of weight, people will start asking questions.

As far as surgery complications, there are many. Any surgery itself always carries the risk of death, and while it is rare, it is definitely a real risk that people need to consider. Post-op, there's chances of your band slipping out of place, eroding into your stomach, etc. These are things I would ask the surgeon more about, as well as research statistics online.

Do lots of research to make sure this is what you think is right for you. I always suggest for people to look at all types of weight loss surgery and read about the different types of eaters each targets, as well as looking at oneself to figure out what type of eater are you. Talk to the doctors, get second opinions, research the doctors themselves and pick a surgeon that you will feel comfortable with. Make a pros and cons list about having the surgery. Think about what a big lifestyle change this will be in regards to eating habits, not just the drinking.

Good luck to you!!

Edited by Unforgettable

I was just banded on 8/10, so I don't have much experience, but I can tell you a little of what I know....

The no drinking while eating (and no soda) were HUGE concerns for me. Evidently, the reason we are not supposed to drink while eating is b/c we'll help the food through the opening, thus reducing the time we feel full, which is the point. It's not harmful from what I understand. The soda however, is a problem b/c of the gas....some people can tolerate it from what I've heard, though.

So, I've thought about all the pros and cons and chose to proceed even if I'll have to adapt to not drinking while eating. Will I ever drink a bit while eating, I'm sure of it, but the point is to do more good than bad consistently.

The issue with alcohol is twofold: 1. Consuming alcohol equates to consuming a large amount of empty calories. 2. After being banded, the alcohol will absorb more quickly, which means we'll be cheap dates...haha! It's not that we are "not allowed" or "never able" to drink.

Excess skin depends on age, how much your skin has been stretched, how much you do cardio and weight training while losing weight, and a variety of other factors. I am trying not to think about that, and I am hoping that at 30 my skin will bounce back....I mean look at the Biggest Loser contestants, I don't see a whole lot of extra skin there. Plus, the sagging skin is a bigger problem for bypass patients because they lose so much faster, thus not giving the skin much time to shrink.

Know, however, that it is HIGHLY unlikely that insurance would pay for a skin removal surgery as it is considered cosmetic. As with all things, there are exeptions...sometimes an overwhelming medical need for skin removal will fall into your coverage. This also depends on the type of policy you have and who your provider is...some are better than others.

As far as being known as the LapBand girl...it is a personal decision who you tell and do not tell. Personally, I am a VERY open person and will tell anyone who wants to listen. Through this, I also hope to help other people who are experiencing the same struggles that led me to being banded. I'm sure I'll get some of what you're afraid of, but I will be the first to point out that I may have gotten the band, but I am still working extremely hard to get in better shape. The band doesn't fix anything...it helps us fix us.

So, if you want to keep it private, there is nothing wrong with that!

Finally, I just want you to know that if I were able to go back in time and change my mind...I WOULD NOT!!! I am happy with my decision, but I did all my research and had every one of my questions answered, which is what you seem to be doing.

Compile the facts and look within. Make your decision, then, no matter what it is...stick with it. NO REGRETS!!!! Best of luck.........

I am worried about changing my eating habits, like the no drinking while eating. We go out to eat with friends once a month and we all enjoy cocktails with dinner. Will I be able to do that? How does alcohol work with the band?

I know with other weight loss surgeries there is excess skin that often gets removed after. Does this happen with Lap Band? Does that also get covered by insurance?

I had a couple relatives get the bypass done, and that is how they are know now...”ohh ya that’s Denise she is the one who had the bypass.” I don’t want the band to be how I am known. Do you think it is alright if I keep it between my doctor, husband, and myself?

What problems or complications can happen during surgery? Are there common post op problems or complications?

I need help deciding if this is the right path.

Each doc has varying rules about drinking and eating. Mine says no drinking during a meal (that should last no longer than 30 min) and then 15 min afterward. It's not the problem I thought it was because now that I have restriction drinking while eating is uncomfortable at best, or painful at worst. However I suggest enjoying the cocktails BEFORE your meal. Not during and after.

You may or may not have excess skin. People THINK bypassers are more prone because they lose faster. However take a bypasser 1 year after she achieves goal, and she will have the same loose skin that she would've had if she'd gone the bypass route. In other words, we lose generally more slowly so the sag has time to tighten up, but like an overstretched balloon or rubber band, many of us will have SOME loose skin regardless. Personally I prefer plastic surgery to open heart surgery, or surgery to amputate a limb lost due to diabetes.

Whether you tell, or not, is your business. I'm a teller but I prefer that; it fits my personality more than trying to keep it private. Some aren't as "up front" about stuff. It's your news. Share it or not.

And as to complications; you can read the lap band complications section but for scientific data, ask your surgeon for some references, or buy a few books that cover all types of WLS and read over them.

All forms of WLS work to a point and all carry risks; you'll need to pick the one (if any) that is right for you.

Although you didn't specifically ask, I can tell you that at almost 1 year out I LOVE my band. I can eat anything and have no problem foods. I am not tighter in the morning nor am I too loose at night. I have great restriction. I don't have any side effects, no GERD, no port pain, nada. I feel better, at almost 75 pounds down than I have in years. I have a ways to go but have firm belief that the band will help ME get there. I have an awesome amount of control, for the first time in my life, over what I eat and what I even WANT to eat, and it is thrilling to me. I wouldn't trade my band for a million dollars. Not everyone is so happy or trouble free, though. You'll have to weigh it out for you. I took a LONG time, and a LOT of changing my mind, before I settled on the band. (it was NOT a whirlwind romance LOL) But once I committed I went full bore and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Good luck!

Edited by RestlessMonkey