Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of soups are you guys eating ??

I was just wondering because it seems that alot of surgeons have alot of different reccomendations. Some full liquids for week1 or 10 days, others Soups, others nothing..so I was just wondering what everyone else was doing and if you have any recepies for these first couple of days...please share !!! :)

I was banded at NYU by Dr Fielding. I imagine your instructions are the same as mine: 2 weeks of high Protein with up to 2 cu veggies per day. 10 days post op liquids, then 10 days mushies.

For the first few days, I highly recommend powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth Protein powder. I found that it was comforting to have something warm, specially on the days immediately after surgery.

I originally did the shakes, but buy the 3rd week I was sick of them. Fortunately, I discovered Isopure zero carb Protein drinks. A 20oz bottle is 42g of Protein. My favorite flavors areLemon Green Tea & Blue Raspberry. I buy them at GNC, but you can also get them at other health stores. GNC has a lot of other brands of protein (non shake) drinks, so you may want to try different brands to see what you like. New whey protein shots/bullets are only about 3 oz, with 42 g of protein. Perfect for those days when you're low on protein consumption.

One of my favorite Soups is Lentil. The package usually gives you cooking instructions. I add sausage or ham for flavoring, some chopped spinach, and Unjury chicken broth to get some addl protein. I put it in my VitaMix and it comes out perfectly smooth. I make it in a large pot, then freeze some of it in 1/2 cup and 1 3/4 cup Glad containers (they're good for both microwave & freezer). Since you'll be on liquids and mushies after each fill, it will be handy.

I've also made my own Tomato Soup in the VitaMix, but probably easier to buy ready made.

Good luck.

Joan

I was just wondering because it seems that alot of surgeons have alot of different reccomendations. Some full liquids for week1 or 10 days, others Soups, others nothing..so I was just wondering what everyone else was doing and if you have any recepies for these first couple of days...please share !!! :)

I am on full liquids for 2 weeks. This includes Protein shakes, yogurt ( with no fruit pieces & thinned to milk shake consistency), pudding also thinned, and cream based STRAINED soups. I can also have all the Clear Liquids I was on for 2 days prior and 1 day post surgery. I stocked up on cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, cream of asparagus, cream of broccli and butternut squash soups. The only one I have tried so far is the cream of chicken and I made it with milk vs. Water to add some extra Protein. After I cook it I strain it to get rid of any chunks, per my nutritionist's instructions. I have been advised to stay away from Tomato soups/sauces.

Joan, thank you for the information. I wasted $126 on Bariatric Advantage starter kit, which contained two Vitamins and a Protein Shake mixture. I could not tolerate the taste or texture...terrible!!!

Jacqui - for the first couple of days I stuck to Tomato Soup. I also got some organic Soups that come in the cartons, pre-made. Butternut squash and potato leek. They were both completely smooth, no lumps and thin enough to go through a "cocktail straw" per our nutritionists instructions. I found them at food Emporium, Whole Foods has them as well.

Good Luck!

thanks for the input ladies. I decided to try the lentil Soup, pureed with milk till straw smooth and it was great ( no spinach or ham though) and today I pureed as per sinstructed some of hale & hearty's chicken and corn chowder, it looses some of the appeal because of the absent texture but the taste is still there !!!

** Just wanted to clarify that i called the doctor on call and he said that as long as it is pureed and thin'd out enough to sip through a straw it is fine **

Edited by formerfatchick
adding info

I made a big pot of my version of the Olive Gardens "Zuppa Tuscani Soup which is sausage, potato, spinach and cream, after I cooked I saved some in the frezzer for mushie stage and blended the rest after a day of sitting and it was very thin and good... then I have had Green Bean juice from fresh made greenbeans seasoned with Smoked Pork Neck bones, as well as black eye peas soup with the peas strained out. and homemade egg drop soup which has a good egg protien in it. Other than that canned chicken broth 50% less sodium turned out to be okay and Jello,

My instructions were Clear Liquids for the first four days and full liquids to include Jello, pudding and Yogurt, but I am still feel rather full off of most of my clear liquids and protien shakes no sense of hunger till yesterday and even that is short lived...

Got this recepie from Weigth Watchers website and I remeber making it when I was on their plan a couple of years ago and it was very good. Of course for liquid phase strain and puree till straw thin first !!!

1 1/2 cup fat free skim milk

7 oz low fat cheear or colby cheese about 1 3/4 cups

1 tsp paprika

1/8 tsp black pepper or to taste

1/8 tsp salt

2 tsp olive oil

1/2 cup yellow onion chopped (I left this out and had no taste complaints)

3 tbs all purpose flour

2 cup fat free chicken broth (the low sodium stuff is great too, watch that salt intake)

Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium high heat,add onion (if u want) cook until soft. Add flour and stir to coat.

Add chicken broth bring to boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat to meduim and simmer until Soup thickens about 1-2 minutes. Add milk and return to

boil stirring constantly.

Working in batches puree soup in a blender until smooth. (Be very careful...probably let it cool had troubles with this part first time I made it haha

NOT pretty) Reheat soup til a boil and remove from heat. Whisk in the cheese stir until melted, if cheese never melts heat until it does so. Season

to taste with salt and pepper.

Use paprika as a garnish!

Split Pea is a Fav - but not for most people.

Progresso Tomato Basil is very good.

Old fashioned Campbell's Tomato is a standard.

Gazpacho - I make a very chunky version, but blended it for a better tasting and thicker V-8 type deal.

Cold Cucumber - Yummy.

Made the old Cabbage Soup - blended - looks gross but tastes good.

Lentil is very good.

Sweet potato - It was good - the whole 3 spoonfuls i got before it was consumed by others.

Butternut Squash w a swirl of greek yogurt.

I am going to make taco soup - blended - can't imagine that it is going to look pretty, but flavor wise I think it will rock. Italian tortellini - it is basically an Italian Minestrone with tortellini in it, that should be good too.

I love to cook, and I have been cooking since day 3 and the only thing I have made for the family that I have even wanted to have is a slice of cucumber and onion that I pickled in vinegar/sugar. I am handling all the food prep and eating with other much better than I had expected to.

Good Luck!