Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the Lapband for me

Hi my name is beatriz and I have talked to my doctor about the lapband and she says that I am a candidate. my BMI is 35 and I have a family history of diabetes. I really want to go through the procedure but wondering if the insurance will give me a difficult time. I have BCBS of IL HMO. I called them and they said it was covered with the referal of my doctor. I sont even know where to start. Anyone have some advise. I am 5'2 and weigh 195. I have been strugeling with my weight since 2003. I have tried Weight watchers and even diet pills under the supervision of my doctor(miridia) at first I drop a few pounds maybe about 5 but cant go below that. I would trully value any advise anyone has.

Thank you:confused:

Hey Beatriz --

Welcome to this website. There are a lot of great people and a lot of experience in this forum, so take advantage of it. I think somewhere there is even a thread for those with low-BMIs which you may want to check out (but I'm not sure where it is...you'll have to search around a bit).

As far as the lapband being for you - its something that you'll need to talk to your doctor about and also do research for yourself. All the different WLS are different and work differently for different people. The lapband is great for me because my main issue is Portion Control. So lapband can help me with that. But you need to figure out what you think will be best for you.

Also, everyone's insurance is different. When you called, did you tell them you have a BMI of 35? If you did and they said they would cover it with a doctor's referral then maybe you will be fine. As far as getting the appropriate tests and submitting the correct paperwork to your insurance, your surgeon's office should be able to help you with that.

The first thing you should do is see who does WLS in your area (or an area that you are willing to travel to, if there isn't anyone in your area) and sign up for an initial seminar. They are free, and generally required by most doctor's/hospitals before scheduling your initial consultations with the surgeon. At my seminar, they gave me info for lapband, sleeve, and RNY. They also provided the opportunity for me to schedule an initial consult with the surgeon while I was there. They went over each procedure - detailing how they were different, who was a candidate, etc. So that would be the first place to start.

And don't be afraid to shop around for the surgeon you feel most comfortable with. Chances are, you will be doing all of your follow up care with him or her, and so if you don't feel right or the office staff is unresponsive or rude, then maybe you want to look around further.

Thats about all I have. But there is SO much wisdom and experience on this site, so browse around. Good luck and keep us updated!!

Hi my name is beatriz and I have talked to my doctor about the lapband and she says that I am a candidate. my BMI is 35 and I have a family history of diabetes. I really want to go through the procedure but wondering if the insurance will give me a difficult time. I have BCBS of IL HMO. I called them and they said it was covered with the referal of my doctor. I sont even know where to start. Anyone have some advise. I am 5'2 and weigh 195. I have been strugeling with my weight since 2003. I have tried Weight watchers and even diet pills under the supervision of my doctor(miridia) at first I drop a few pounds maybe about 5 but cant go below that. I would trully value any advise anyone has.

Thank you:confused:

you said you don't know where to begin but you HAVE begun....by talking to your doctor, writing to this website, talking to your insurance people. You're on your way!

I'd say, get your doctor to write a WLS prescription/referral and find out what WLS centers your insurance will work with.