Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

first episode of being stuck--OUCH!!!

Today at lunch, I was eating some gumbo (no rice, and just eating the meat) and I found out quickly that sausage does not like my band. After some awful sliming and PBing, I decided not to go for the gumbo anymore (though I was at a work luncheon and gumbo was my best option). However, when I got home tonight, I made a turkey/cheese roll for dinner, and it got STUCK. I thought someone had put an ice pick in my chest right below my breastbone. I have not had such pain in a long time. I wonder if maybe getting stuck had to do with my PBing at lunch?

Finally, I remembered that my nurse prac. told me that warm Water will often flush out stuck foods. I tried that and after a few sips, I felt better. Just wanted to share the warm Water trick since I know some of you will get stuck at some point.

Besides that, I'm feeling good restriction after just one fill, and though I haven't weighed in in over a week, I feel like I'm making progress in learning how to live with the band (banded 6/29) and making the changes necessary to make this a lifestyle.

Thanks for sharing that tip! I will keep it in mind when I get my first issue of being stuck.

Thanks for the tip. My doctor also advised after pb'ing you should be on liquids for 24hours. He says that the pb'ing can irate your pouch causing swelling and to give your stomach 24 hours to heal.

I was just banded last week so I have not had this issue but I wanted to share with you... Papaya Enzymes supposibly work wonders if something gets stuck.. and it makes sense cause they are a "vitamin" that breaks down food... so maybe try that next time u get stuck... I already bought a bottle so I have them with me if ever it happens.

Today at lunch, I was eating some gumbo (no rice, and just eating the meat) and I found out quickly that sausage does not like my band. After some awful sliming and PBing, I decided not to go for the gumbo anymore (though I was at a work luncheon and gumbo was my best option). However, when I got home tonight, I made a turkey/cheese roll for dinner, and it got STUCK. I thought someone had put an ice pick in my chest right below my breastbone. I have not had such pain in a long time. I wonder if maybe getting stuck had to do with my PBing at lunch?

Finally, I remembered that my nurse prac. told me that warm Water will often flush out stuck foods. I tried that and after a few sips, I felt better. Just wanted to share the warm Water trick since I know some of you will get stuck at some point.

Besides that, I'm feeling good restriction after just one fill, and though I haven't weighed in in over a week, I feel like I'm making progress in learning how to live with the band (banded 6/29) and making the changes necessary to make this a lifestyle.

Hello,

I just wanted to chime in and tell you that I really struggle with meat. Turkey is the worst for me because it is just too dry. I find if I cut my meat up into tiny, tiny pieces before I attempted to eat that I am less likely to get stuck. I also struggle with sausage because I seem to not chew enough.

Also, I did not know this in the beginning, my surgeon's office told me that if I get stuck and vomit, my stomach will swell at the band location and I will be less likely to be able to eat my next meal without a repeat of the previous attempt. I was told to go to liquids for the rest of that day and try eating again the following day.

Best of luck to you.

Donna