Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to have 2nd thouhts about banding. HELP!!!

I still have 6 weeks to go before banding and I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts. While I'm soooo ready to lsoe the 100 lbs I need to lose and have tried everything else, I can't even imagine going forever without bread, rice or Pasta ever again. At least that's what the nurse said. IS this correct? Or can I have a 1/2 sandwhich, a few btes of pasta/rice occasionally? I've heard anywhere from you can't have these at all to you can have anything in moderation, in small amts, occasionally.

Which is true? This in no way represents my readiness to get the band, because I'm very ready to start measuring my portions (2 oz protein/1oz vegs), drinking the liquid diet for 4 weeks, and not drinking while eating. I just can't believe that I have to totally give up bread, Pasta, and rice (yes, I understand why, because they expand in the stomache) if I just want a pc of bread or a few bites of pasta.

Can I just play with foods to see what works well for me? Or is that a no no?

Thanks!

Marci

I still have 6 weeks to go before banding and I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts. While I'm soooo ready to lsoe the 100 lbs I need to lose and have tried everything else, I can't even imagine going forever without bread, rice or Pasta ever again. At least that's what the nurse said. IS this correct? Or can I have a 1/2 sandwhich, a few btes of pasta/rice occasionally? I've heard anywhere from you can't have these at all to you can have anything in moderation, in small amts, occasionally.

Which is true? This in no way represents my readiness to get the band, because I'm very ready to start measuring my portions (2 oz protein/1oz vegs), drinking the liquid diet for 4 weeks, and not drinking while eating. I just can't believe that I have to totally give up bread, Pasta, and rice (yes, I understand why, because they expand in the stomache) if I just want a pc of bread or a few bites of pasta.

Can I just play with foods to see what works well for me? Or is that a no no?

Thanks!

Marci

Hi Marci,

While I am still VERY much a newbie and only this week have gotten to start eating more regular foods, I know that if I truly want to have rice, bread and even "some" other foods, I will be able to. However, sometimes I have seen where people after being banded can no longer tolerate certain foods because of the restriction they get. However, I am choosing to avoid breads and rice and things that are loaded with carbs, simply because I KNOW those are triggers for me. Also, while being so limited and restricted with my preop diet and postop diet, I have found that I am no longer craving those trigger foods. But, it's not to say that I "might" not have some every so often.

So, I think in essence, you will still be able to have certain foods, unless your band doesn't tolerate it. It's kind of a wait-and-see game in the beginning. Next week, I get to start completely regular foods and even up my intake to 1 cup of food. So far, I am tickled pink I made this decision and actually have not "mourned" any foods that I have seen some people do. Maybe this will come later? Not sure, but I certainly hope not.

Good luck to you, Marci!! :)

Everyone's body reacts differently to the band. Some people physically can not eat rice, breads etc because they tend to get stuck. I so far have had no problem with those foods (knock on wood) but that could change next time I get a fill.

I think it is totally a trial and error thing and completely different for EVERYONE! I have no problem with bread, Pasta or rice as long as I chew it well. I did find out that I can no longer eat crab at all now matter how much I chew it gets stuck. Weirdest thing ever but you just have to see what works for yoU!

I'm one year out and can eat ANYTHING and I mean that. I can eat white bread. My nutritionist said just make sure Pasta and rice are well done (because they continue to absorb fluids). My doc even recently gave me the go-ahead to have an occasional carbonated beverage if I want it, and he cleared me long ago to take NSAIDS if I needed them and was "careful". I've been a good bandster, followed the rules, healed really well, have no issues, and now have no "forbiddens".

My goal going in was to be able to eat ANYTHING but in smaller portions. That was my surgeon's goal for me, too. I realized I MIGHT have a problem but I didn't expect or anticipate it, and TA DAH! I don't have any.

Please understand that you have a VERY large degree of control over this thing. How tight you keep your band, for example, is up to you. A LOT of the success is between the ears...how you feel, how you work the band, what choices YOU make.

So don't let fear of never having a sandwich stop you from a life of good health.

I just ate some rice -- you don't have to give it up! I can't eat doughy bread (unless it is toasted) b/c it gums up in my stomach and tends to get stuck, but other than that, I haven't given up any foods.

One thing I did that I found very helpful when I was making my decision about the surgery was to make a pro/con list. I put it up on my blog not too long ago -- maybe it will help you to make your own list (here is a link: Chronicles from Band Land: May 2009)

I was really worried about feeling deprived, what I'd have to give up, etc. In all honesty, it has not at all been a big deal. I still eat what I like -- I just eat less of it and I am full faster. I am so happy that I had this surgery -- it has made a big difference and, for the first time in many years, I finally feel good about my weight and how I am doing on that front.

Good luck with your decision!

Best wishes,

Catherine

I know exactly how you feel. I am also questioning whether this is the right thing for me. I am also hearing it from so many people, "you don't need to get that, you have lost weight before, you should rethink surgery with your health problems.." I could go on. I have heard it all already.

I don't weigh alot, they are right, I weigh 200 and am 5'5". I wear some 14's and some 16's. But my health is not the way it should be at my age.

I can turn the naysayers off but in my mind I am not sure if I want to deal with the restrictions for the rest of my life.

I love bread, I love pizza, I love going to a restaraunt on vacation and eating what I feel like eating, not what is good for me. I also like a margarita or two once in a while. The thought of not having these again makes me question if I want to go through with this.

My sister had GBP and she eats what she wants and drinks like a sailor. She has lost over 100 lbs, but she was over 300 to begin with. I need to lose about 50-75 lbs. Then I wonder if I can have the band removed? Can I keep the weight off and still be happy with my food.

I am so in between on this, I guess I have to wait till Sept. 22 to see what I will finally do.

I know exactly how you feel. I am also questioning whether this is the right thing for me. I am also hearing it from so many people, "you don't need to get that, you have lost weight before, you should rethink surgery with your health problems.." I could go on. I have heard it all already.

I don't weigh alot, they are right, I weigh 200 and am 5'5". I wear some 14's and some 16's. But my health is not the way it should be at my age.

I can turn the naysayers off but in my mind I am not sure if I want to deal with the restrictions for the rest of my life.

I love bread, I love pizza, I love going to a restaraunt on vacation and eating what I feel like eating, not what is good for me. I also like a margarita or two once in a while. The thought of not having these again makes me question if I want to go through with this.

My sister had GBP and she eats what she wants and drinks like a sailor. She has lost over 100 lbs, but she was over 300 to begin with. I need to lose about 50-75 lbs. Then I wonder if I can have the band removed? Can I keep the weight off and still be happy with my food.

I am so in between on this, I guess I have to wait till Sept. 22 to see what I will finally do.

Mickey mentally you're where I was in 2003 when I weighed about what I weigh now and was thinking about the band.

In other words, you aren't there yet, you may never be.

If you honestly think you can diet and exercise and lose and keep it off, do NOT get the band. You may be one of the 5% who is successful in that venture.

And the band isn't something you get removed. It's like marriage; it may not work but going in you assume it's for life. Many (if not most) who have the band removed, regain all their lost weight unless they revise to a different weight loss surgical method.

You need to understand you aren't the first (nor will you be the last) overweight person who mulls the band and says "I like pizza and Margaritas". You think I got to 405 eating celery and tofu? :)

By all means, research it. But don't move forward until you are as sure as you can be that it is the surgery for you. There are other options, not all surgical.

I felt the same way at first. As time goes on you lose the desire for carbs. It is your bodies natural reaction to go back to the way things used to be. Carbs are a waste for your body, if you have the choice of having a piece of bread that has little value to you or some chicken that will fill you up and help you lose weight, it is an obvious choice.

You put that thing in you to change your life.....

Why would you eat what you ate before and got you the way you are.

Not trying to preach but I went through the same thing.

It will pass and if you are strong enough won't come back :)

Oh my goodness. I think it was meant for me to read this post. I've done the first stages for the lap band surgery and even have a surgery date but when I went for my first appointment the surgeon told me I had to be under 350. I weighed 382 and was told to go on a 6 week diet. I started eating everything I thought I could not eat and gained 6 lbs. I started the diet at 388 lbs, six weeks later I went back to see the surgeon and was at 367. It has been a week and I'm not losing any weight. I haven't gained any but neither have I lost. I keep worrying that as the original poster said that I won't be able to eat the foods I like anymore, I'm scared but at the same time I want to lose the weight to make myself healthier. In order for me to get the surgery I have to go to see the surgeon on 10/2. If I'm 350 by then I can have the surgery 10/26, if I'm not 350 they said I will not be able to have the surgery. I'm so scared that I won't lose the 20-25 lbs I need to lose. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one having second thoughts. I know that ultimately I will take it one day at a time and try to lose the weight but I'm so scared, nervous and anxious.

Thanks for allowing me to read this and vent a bit. Overall in the end think that this is so that we can lead long, healthy and prosperous lives instead of dying younger or living with chronic illnesses.

Ericka

You have to know that this is without a doubt what you want to do. The lap band works but it is only part of the equation. You have to work at it for the rest of your life. Everyone is different. Some people have problems with bread, some don't. There's no way to know. But more importantly, you have to be willing to accept the possibility that you might not be able to eat bread or rice or Pasta. Can you live with that? You have to be ready to eat and measure the way the dietician teaches you and you have to be willing to put some time in at the gym.

The lap band is a wonderful tool and I wouldn't trade mine for the world. But it is not magic. It's not the easy way out. It's still hard work. Good luck and HUGS. I don't know if this helps or not. I don't mean to sound negative. I just want you to be sure this is really, really right for you before you commit to it. None of us on here can tell you that.