Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded yesterday at NYU Medical Center.

Hey, well I was just banded yesterday morning at NYU Medical Center by Dr. Marina Kurian and I just have to say that I had such a wonderful experience and can't believe how amazing the surgeon as well as the hospital performed. I had SIL, or a single incision, and I was allowed to go home later the same day. Everyone at the hospital was so kind and friendly. They really took care of me. I would recommend them to anyone undergoing this surgery. It was absolutely hassle free, and fast! After a year of waiting, I can't believe I am here walking around with the band inside of me. I can only tell because of my incision site!

Everyone on the forum said that the surgery wasn't very painful and they were correct. I was barely in any pain, only sore and uncomfortable at a few points. As I was taken into the operating room and laid on the table, I suddenly thought to myself "What the FUCK did you do/WHY did you want this?" and I have to say I was comforted by the fact that I knew so many of you have had the same surgery and were all doing fine. It is the only reason I was able to go through with it. So thank you to this community for helping me see that I did in fact make the right decision.

Anyways, after waking up in recovery I only experienced tightness in my chest, mostly some residual gas, and soreness at the incision site. I don't have that much restriction at all though, as I can drink normally. This kind of worries me, but I am still healing and not rushing into anything as right now my body is still recovering. Although I am not in pain, my whole body is sore and tired like I ran a marathon! And my throat is a little irritated but I am happy with the results so far. Has anyone else had this experience with little restriction? I understand that I am only drinking liquids and they go right through the band, but I was given the impression that even liquids should move through slowly. Just wondering what everyone else has experienced. Thanks! :blink:

Wow, congratulations!! Your recovery is inspiring to me (I'll be banded 8/25 on LI & fingers crossed - will have SILS also. Hope you you continue to feel well and keep us posted w/your progress!

Thank you! Good luck to you as well. I am really happy with the single incision. It is right above my belly button and rather small in size. I couldn't believe it when I woke up. My throat irritated me more than my stomach! I mean it did hurt, but it wasn't unbearable! Just soreness really. I'm sure you will do fine. I have no regrets so far! Let me know how you do!

That is so great! I had 2 incisions and wish I could have had the single incision surgery -- how great is that?! I go to NYU for my fills (Dr. Ren) -- great group of doctors.

Welcome to Band Land!

Best wishes,

Catherine

Thanks!! Yeah, I really adore the NYU team. I really think the office is great. I've never had a single problem with them, and I am sure Dr. Ren is just as great!

Congratulations and welcome to the club!

I was banded on June 15th. Unless you had a fill during surgery (some, but not many I've heard of, do) you will not feel restriction until your band is filled -- and that may take a few fills, depending on your doctor. I have not experienced restriction with liquids. But I must say that this morning I had a Protein Drink before going to work and had planned to eat a piece of fruit for Breakfast, but I do not have the appetite for it now. Too full.

I had my 3rd fill this past Friday. I now have 4.5 cc's in a 10 cc band. It is only with this last fill that I am feeling any restriction at all.

Keep in mind what we read on this forum all the time: the time right after surgery is for healing, not for losing weight (although you will probably lose some :blink:).

You are very lucky to have the single incision. I have 4!

All the best to you!

Thank you! Good luck to you as well. I am really happy with the single incision. It is right above my belly button and rather small in size. I couldn't believe it when I woke up. My throat irritated me more than my stomach! I mean it did hurt, but it wasn't unbearable! Just soreness really. I'm sure you will do fine. I have no regrets so far! Let me know how you do!

I also have no restriction, my doctor doesn't do a fill for 4-6 weeks post op, this is the worst part. I truly am starving but got to keep up with it. I too also had the most trouble with my throat, it's from the breathing tube they put down there, it took about 2 days for that to get better. How are you doing so far? I hope all is well....

I also have no restriction, my doctor doesn't do a fill for 4-6 weeks post op, this is the worst part. I truly am starving but got to keep up with it. I too also had the most trouble with my throat, it's from the breathing tube they put down there, it took about 2 days for that to get better. How are you doing so far? I hope all is well....

My throat is a lot better. I feel fine now, I just seem to be swallowing sinus "stuff" still and have a horrible taste in my mouth. I think it is from all the medications etc. I haven't really been hungry but I have an appointment 4 weeks out too, and I'm scared that I will be. I guess we'll just have to take it a day at a time!

Congrats on your banding and SIL! I just got banded this morning. SIL as well. Feeling ok, a little gas/bloating. Takes a long time to pee, which isn't something I expected. Definitely wiped out though. Congrats again!

Awesome post - Can't believe you guys are typing after your surgery. In a futile attempt I had Lipo done and I was in so much pain for a week. My lapband surgery is next week and it's good to hear everyone's story. Thanks! and congrats!

Congrats on your banding and SIL! I just got banded this morning. SIL as well. Feeling ok, a little gas/bloating. Takes a long time to pee, which isn't something I expected. Definitely wiped out though. Congrats again!

Congratulations to you as well! Yes, I was rather wiped out too. It took me a while to pee, too. I thought to myself, did I really drink THAT much? But I guess that happens when you only have liquids to feed off of. Hope your recovery goes well!

Awesome post - Can't believe you guys are typing after your surgery. In a futile attempt I had Lipo done and I was in so much pain for a week. My lapband surgery is next week and it's good to hear everyone's story. Thanks! and congrats!

Thanks, and good luck to you as well! I think the single incision has a much quicker recovery time simply because there is only one small slit, almost 2 inches, the is on the bottom of my belly button and that is it. I couldn't believe they even got the band in such a tiny spot. When I first looked at it I was mortified, but because of how the incision looked, but I couldn't imagine doing surgery through such a small hole! Oh well, i wouldn't change a thing. Keep us updated! :thumbup: