Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flu Shots (again)...

GET ONE!

If you have a band and do not get a flu shot, you are playing Russian Roulette with your band.

Go get the shot. I get them; my 80-year-old mother gets them. Anyone who CAN get one and does not is needlessly exposing him/herself and his/her loved ones and neighbors and co-workers to a disease that actually causes many deaths each year. They could end up costing themselves a new surgery to repair band damages.

GO! NOW! GET YOUR FLU SHOT!

Thank you and have a nice day!

Sue

Yes, Sue! Great reminder!

The doc who gave our company flu shots on Wednesday said 20,000 people died of the flu last year....

Some info from the handout we were given:

The following are the symptoms of the flu:

- Fever, usually higher than 100 degrees Fahrenheit, at any time during a 24 hour period (most often in the evening)

- Cough

- Sore throat

- Muscle aches in several different areas of the body

- Sweating and chills

- Fatigue

- Sudden onset of symptoms within 24-48 hours

Diarrhea and vomitting are NOT symptoms of the flu. (The incorrectly termed "stomach flu" is not the flu at all)

NOTE: Many of the above symptoms occur with lots of other viruses and bacteria, but HIGH FEVER is the important distinguishing symptom of the flu.

The good news is, even though the flu is a virus, they now have treatment for it, so if you are symptomatic you definitely need to get in to your health care provider for the swab test that will quickly diagnose if it's the flu, and for the available treatment, which is most effective when given within 24-48 hours of the fever.

Sue, what makes you say that getting the flu could lead to band damages? I'm not advocating against flu shots, but I don't see the connection in light of the info Donali gave. I know on the very few occasions that I've ever had the flu (like twice in my life?), vomiting was not part of my misery.

I personally am not inclined to get a flu shot. I'm young(ish), in good health, not generally prone to catching everything that comes along, and don't think I'm particularly at risk of complications of the flu. But that's just me. :D

Alexandra, because I've had really scary (mycoplasma) pneumonia and know what THAT kind of coughing can feel like, I'm thinking that the severe non-productive coughing spasms that sometimes accompany the flu can jeopardize the band and/or port placement. (If I'm wrong here, let me now so I can stop nagging.)

Nothing is wrong with your logic, except maybe the following: I rant and rave until my healthy, young (28) daughter gets her immunization because she has a mother with COPD (asthma, bronchitis and emphysema) and an 80-year-old grandmother she visits. I think my daughter would feel awful if she got a "light case" of the flu that ended up being severe for me or my mom. For the same reason (love) I had to suffer through whatever illnesses I had while pregnant without medication, she can do her part by not exposing me to stuff I can't handle.

Sue

What Sue said -

I've heard of people who have had problems from extreme coughing - I know of people who have broken ribs from coughing too hard. I have coughed so hard that I have gagged/vomitted.

Even though the flu does not have diarrhea/vomitting as a symptom (according to this doctor's handout), any time we are ill our defenses are down and we are that much more vulnerable to catching something else.

Those 20,000 deaths (in the U.S., by the way) were not just the young children/elderly. The flu is not something to "sneeze" at, so to speak.

:D

Oh, Sue, I completely agree that people who are AROUND folks at risk for severe complications can benefit from the vaccine. My husband works in food service, and everyone where he works is required to get the flu shot. I'm not against them at all. I'm not sure they've reached the safetly level of most vaccines, though; I personally know of several people who complained of getting sick after getting their flu shots.

I take anecdotes with a healthy dose of skepticism, of course, but in general prefer to avoid taking any unnecessary risks with my health. And though some might say that not getting the shot is, by itself, taking an unnecessary risk, it seems odd to me that ten years ago flu was just something you got, or didn't get, and got through. Is it worse now? I survived years of not getting the flu, or surviving cases so mild I didn't know I had them, and don't really see any reason that should change for me now.

(On the other hand, now that I think about it, "people at risk" includes my very young children. Maybe I'll re-think this position.)

Hi Alexandra -

I am not arguing for or against for you, and believe everyone needs to make their own decision based on their lives. I'm just handing out info, since we got the "talk" on Wednesday, so the topic is fresh in my mind.

According to the doc, there is absolutely, positively NO WAY for anyone to contract the flu from the vaccination - the virus in the vaccination is DEAD. It does take 1-2 weeks for the vaccination to achieve effectiveness, so there are those who contract the flu in that time period.

Also, the vaccination is not 100% effective - it tends to be about 80% effective.

There are no contra-indications for getting the flu vaccination EXCEPT if you are allergic to eggs.

For anyone interested in more info, here's an interesting link:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa011303a.htm

According to the doc, there is absolutely, positively NO WAY for anyone to contract the flu from the vaccination - the virus in the vaccination is DEAD. It does take 1-2 weeks for the vaccination to achieve effectiveness, so there are those who contract the flu in that time period.

I know this, I really do. And I believe it, too. I'm sure it's just coincidence that it seems one thing has followed the other in my circle of acquaintances. But I'm superstitious enough that somehow, it seems better to avoid the shot if by doing so I can keep myself out of the way of the bad-luck train. :D