Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tight at Dinner Time?

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice, ideas, anything! I had my third fill 5 weeks ago and am at 5.5 cc in a 10 cc band.

I've always felt I was tighter at dinnertime than earlier in the day. I do drink something warm first thing in the morning (about 5 a.m.) and by 6:30 I'm usually having Breakfast with no problems: a small Protein bar and yogurt, most of a package of oatmeal, etc. My warm drink does make a difference as I noticed if I take my meds or Tylenol first thing in the morning before that hot drink I am tight and can feel it.

lunch usually goes fine - about 1 cup of food at the most.

But at dinner time for the last week or so, regardless of what I am eating (meatloaf, turkey frank, it just doesn't matter) I have some pain right away. Last night I only took a couple of bites, then sat for 5 minutes or so. I seem to burp a lot at this point. Usually I push on past it, thinking it will go away (I'm still learning), but last night I just sat for a bit and once that subsided I was able to go back to eating a normal bandster meal.

I read on another thread that not getting enough Water can make your band tight, and I have slacked off on that, so am trying to get my Water intake back up. I also read about air being in the stomach and those first few bites pressing on that air. Last night I realized I do tend to belch quite a bit after those first few bites, then it seems to "clear" things and am able to go on.

Is anyone else tighter at night? Could this be first bite syndrome, and if so why is it only happening in the evening meal?

I appreciate any thoughts anyone has. If I was basing it on my evening meals only I would say I was a smidgen too tight, but that isn't the case as my other meals are fine.

Help???

I am exactly the same way. I do a Protein shake for Breakfast and then can eat what I consider alot for lunch. About 1 cup of food. But for dinner sometimes I can only get maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food down and that goes really slow. I'm not hungry later so I just take that as all I can eat. I am losing at great rate according to my Dr. Anywhere from 6-8 lbs a month.

I only have about 3 1/2 CC's in a 10 CC band. My Dr laughed and said I was "weird" because most people have the hardest time not eating too much at dinner. Said I was really lucky, weird but lucky. Guess you are right there with me....

Suzanne

Suzanne -

Thanks for taking the time to post. I guess it is what it is, right? It's nice to know I'm not the only odd one out here. I guess I'll just increase my Water and take my dinner really slow. I keep saying this is such a learning process. I can't complain about my weight loss. Just need to be more patient with my band and realize it may be fickle at times.

Thanks again and great job on the weight loss!

I share the same experience as both of you. The one daily meal I get eat with family and it gives me trouble every time. My husband and kids now recognize the look on my face and know when I am in trouble.

Some mornings I really struggle when taking my pills. The Water is even difficult to get down. I guess this is our life now and we just need to learn to work around our fickle bands. The one thing I am good at is getting all my Water in so I know there is no way I am dehydrated. I do remember my surgeon telling me that there will be times my band seems tighter then other times and I now understand what he was trying to tell me.

Good luck to you both.

Donna