Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions you wish you had known to ask prior to surgery?

I am going in for the free weight loss seminar tomorrow evening. Other than insurance and post-surgery diet questions, are there any other questions that you wish you had known to ask prior to surgery? :(

How long on average is it for your patients to feel good restriction?

AND

Do you put some "fill" in the band during surgery?

I would've gone with my very conservative doc anyway but asking that would've saved me a few months of confusion!

And the fill question...often people who get fills during the initial surgery have problems with getting liquids down etc. Mine didn't fill during surgery and I'm glad.

AND

Will you remove most of the gas before you close me up?

Because...surgeons can, but not all bother. Removed gas=less pain for you.

Restless - Thanks for informing us that you can ask them to remove most of the gas after surgery. I did not know if they could or not. I am going to ask tomorrow during our Pre-Op Class.

Jason

Sure! Some just "do it" anyway but some don't think of it. Asking can help remind them! :drool:

Very interesting, I never would have thought of that. thanks Restless!

My surgery is August 25th and now I know to ask that.

Pars

You will probably still have gas pains, but it will be from the gas your system produces, and something like GAS X (if your doc approves it; be sure to ask) can take care of it. But the Carbon Dioxide they pump in there can really hurt and it just goes away over time, UNLESS they remove it. Removing it can make a big difference.

To be honest I learned this from my husband who's been a nurse 25+ years. Last year post op (and I had 2 surgeries in August) I was reading person after person really SUFFERING from gas and mentioned it to my husband. I joked I must be really tough because I didn't hurt like that and he said "yeah, maybe, or maybe Dr. Cavazos just removes the gas they pump in for surgery". So after quizzing him I learned that it does expand the organs and make surgery easier (and safer and faster) but that if the surgeon doesn't remove the gas (and they can't get it all but can get a bunch of it) the patient can be in misery for a few days post op until the body absorbs it.

This is my first post. I have pre op class next week, so this was very, very helpful. I am a wuss :drool: and can't stand any kind of pain, so to know it can be reduced is helpful. Thank you.