Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 10, 2009 - My Rebirth Day!

Hi all -

I'm a new member posting for the first time! I was banded successfully yesterday at 7:30 AM, spent the night in the hospital, and came home this afternoon. Overall, the pain has been less than expected...phew!

I used to think that WLS was the EASY way out...now I realize that I was completely misinformed. This is going to be a long and tough journey, but I know I have my little helper in place. I've affectionately named my band Willa (Derived from "Weight Loss Assistant"), and I know she's there to work with me not for me!!!

A little about me: My name's Monica, and I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY and currently live just outside of Washington, DC. My 30th birthday is quickly approaching (10/10), but right now I'm focused on my rebirth date (8/10)! I live with my partner, and our four precious little kitties. I work for the government...fun times! I'm an avid reader and spend a little too much time online.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting and working with many of you as we help each other achieve our goals together. To other newbies out there looking to "band" together (hehe) as we begin our journey - hit me up!

Best of luck to everyone....better, happier, and healthier days are ahead for us all! :(

Welcome Monica,

I'm so happy for you. You're right, it's not easy and we still have work to do and we have to follow the rules but it is a very helpful tool. I am very happy I had my surgery (about a month ago). I'm aleady wearing a size smaller in pants and I can't believe it. It is like a rebirth. You have a very positive attitude and you are going to do great!

exercise.png

Thanks! Looks like you're doing well so far...excellent! So how was your recovery? How long would you say before your body truly felt back to normal?

I took ten days off work but I really could have gone back after five. I was still slightly sore but not much of a big deal. I did have to have my husband help me put my shoes on for about two weeks post-op. Bending down like that with my fat gut hurt too much. Hee Hee Hee.

It's really exciting to see how this is working. I was kind of worried that I would screw this up by not following the rules and stay fat but this band is making me follow the rules. I was bad today and ate some pizza and the grease in it really hurt my stomach and I won't be doing that again. It's been hours and the pain is just now starting to go away-That'll teach me. I usually eat fish and chicken but I was weak tonight. I really need this behavior modification and I'm so happy to have this tool to help me.

I've had two fills in my 10cc Realize band and I have 5cc total right now and have started to feel restriction. I think I'll just need one more fill probably.

There is so much good info on this website that I almost look at it every day and I learn something new every day. I found an old post where someone recommended the "Couch to 5K Running Program" and I'm going to try this out. I used to run years ago and I'd love to get back into it again. Here's the website if you want to check it out: Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. I enjoy talking to other bandsters.

Good luck on your journey!

exercise.png

I love your attitude,. Keep it up. I was banded July 22nd and have also thought if it as a re-birth.My surgery also went well. The rules my doctor has is: liquids two weeks after surgery followed by mushy foods. I like to cook so I have been having fun making tasty mush in the food processor. I have lost 11 pounds since I was banded and 24 total. My first fill is 9-4.

justiceaim1 - Thanks for all that info! I actually started (and lasted about a minute) following the couch to 5K program in a past weight loss attempt. I have never been a runner but have always wanted to be. That's somehting I should definitely reconsider now! I walked (very slowly) on my (5 year old, used about 5 times ever) treadmill today for about 10 minutes. My stomach started hurting, so that was enough, but I'm proud for even getting on it. That thing sure is about to get plenty of use to make up for all the sitting around it has done!!!!

kay Ellen - Congrats on your success so far. I guess I didn't realize how long it is b/w surgery and first fill, but I guess the liquid Protein diet keeps us on our best behavior. Are you sharing any of your yummy mush recipes anywhere on this site? You totally should, I know I would love some!!!

Hi all -

I'm a new member posting for the first time! I was banded successfully yesterday at 7:30 AM, spent the night in the hospital, and came home this afternoon. Overall, the pain has been less than expected...phew!

I used to think that WLS was the EASY way out...now I realize that I was completely misinformed. This is going to be a long and tough journey, but I know I have my little helper in place. I've affectionately named my band Willa (Derived from "Weight Loss Assistant"), and I know she's there to work with me not for me!!!

A little about me: My name's Monica, and I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY and currently live just outside of Washington, DC. My 30th birthday is quickly approaching (10/10), but right now I'm focused on my rebirth date (8/10)! I live with my partner, and our four precious little kitties. I work for the government...fun times! I'm an avid reader and spend a little too much time online.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting and working with many of you as we help each other achieve our goals together. To other newbies out there looking to "band" together (hehe) as we begin our journey - hit me up!

Best of luck to everyone....better, happier, and healthier days are ahead for us all! :blink:

You have a great attitude which will certainly be a plus for you:thumbup:. Congratulations and welcome!

Congrats to all the newbies! I couldn't resist posting after the mention of kitties (I have 5). But aside from that I wanted to offer encouragement. You have the right idea about your "assistant" (never thought of naming mine--great idea). Do it all, stay in touch with your surgeon and dietician, go to group support, come here and post, and exercise. You don't have to do anything fancy. I mostly just walk, but I do something at least 6 out of 7 days a week. I have Curves, Water aerobics, and the rec center gym as backups for bad weather or when I lose daylight in the winter. With lots of daylight I walk in a park on the nature trail and feed peanuts to the squirrels.

For the poster who ate pizza and had problems, try this. I love pizza (used to work out at Curves, then pick up a 12-15 inch pizza with pepperoni, green peppers, onions and extra cheese, take it home and eat the whole thing) so I thought about it and devised a crustless pizza you can heat in the microwave. Take a meal size microwavable dish, pour in about 1/3 jar of Ragu Homestyle sauce, cover with Hormel Turkey Pepperoni, and next with peppers and onions (I keep Birdseye Pepper Stir Fry in the freezer just for this--it is 3 colors of peppers and onion chunks) and top with Kraft fat free Mozarella or Cheddar cheese. Nuke for about 2 minutes to melt cheese and warm the other stuff. Now you have all the toppings and none of the crust and close to fat free (the Hormel is 70% less fat). You have the pepperoni and cheese for your Protein source, and sauce and veggies. What more could you want LOL?

Anyway, good luck all of you on your journey.

Congrats to all the newbies! I couldn't resist posting after the mention of kitties (I have 5). But aside from that I wanted to offer encouragement. You have the right idea about your "assistant" (never thought of naming mine--great idea). Do it all, stay in touch with your surgeon and dietician, go to group support, come here and post, and exercise. You don't have to do anything fancy. I mostly just walk, but I do something at least 6 out of 7 days a week. I have Curves, Water aerobics, and the rec center gym as backups for bad weather or when I lose daylight in the winter. With lots of daylight I walk in a park on the nature trail and feed peanuts to the squirrels.

For the poster who ate pizza and had problems, try this. I love pizza (used to work out at Curves, then pick up a 12-15 inch pizza with pepperoni, green peppers, onions and extra cheese, take it home and eat the whole thing) so I thought about it and devised a crustless pizza you can heat in the microwave. Take a meal size microwavable dish, pour in about 1/3 jar of Ragu Homestyle sauce, cover with Hormel Turkey Pepperoni, and next with peppers and onions (I keep Birdseye Pepper Stir Fry in the freezer just for this--it is 3 colors of peppers and onion chunks) and top with Kraft fat free Mozarella or Cheddar cheese. Nuke for about 2 minutes to melt cheese and warm the other stuff. Now you have all the toppings and none of the crust and close to fat free (the Hormel is 70% less fat). You have the pepperoni and cheese for your Protein source, and sauce and veggies. What more could you want LOL?

Anyway, good luck all of you on your journey.

Thanks for the low fat pizza idea. I'm going to try this.

p.s. I love how you call your cat your newest "furbaby".

That's adorable. I have five kitty furbabies too and

two doggy furbabies.

exercise.png

The "pizza" sure does sound yummy...can't wait until I'm able to try it! Overall, I'm doing ok on the liquids, but last night I REALLY, REALLY wanted something to eat. I just had to go to sleep....it was overwhelming. I woke up and enjoyed some delicious broth!

So what you all are saying is that I didn't coin the term furrybaby???? LOL!!!!

The "pizza" sure does sound yummy...can't wait until I'm able to try it! Overall, I'm doing ok on the liquids, but last night I REALLY, REALLY wanted something to eat. I just had to go to sleep....it was overwhelming. I woke up and enjoyed some delicious broth!

So what you all are saying is that I didn't coin the term furrybaby???? LOL!!!!

Yeah, Haven't you heard? They're called furbabies now. Get with the times-Hee Hee Hee!!! Just playing.

I had a hard time with liquids too. My doctor let me have fat free refried Beans pureed and watered down and this really helped me because there's a lot of Protein in Beans and they filled me up pretty good. It was a life saver for me. My doctor never had me on Clear Liquids only. He just had me on liquids and he considered yogurt and cottage cheese a liquid also which I thought was strange.

You're doing really good Monihottie!!! Look at how much weight you've lost already! That is awesome!!!:thumbup::):( (Do people say awesome anymore??? I'm so behind the times. Hee Hee Hee!!!)

Thanks for the support and encouragement!

I still say awesome, so there are two possibilities: 1. It is still commonly used, or 2. We're just both dorks! =)

What about "OMG gag me with a ginsu!" Do people say that? :thumbup::):)

exercise.png

Welcome Monica!! I love the way you think! :) I am sure that you will be very successful with your band. And congrats on your REBIRTH! I cant wait to join those of you who have begun the journey to the "new" you!!!! :thumbup:

I, too, started my new journey on August 10th. And that's for the uplifting attitude and encouragement from everyone who posted on this thread. I am on my 5th day from surgery, still getting a lot of pain in my chest and shoulders from the 'gas'. Still on phase I post-op liquid diet. I bought some crappy whey Protein crap from Wal-mart and I hate it. I am going for a post-op appointment with my surgeon on Monday and I am going to see if I can get just one large container of their High Protein Meal Replacement that I had pre-op. It tasted much better than this crap I have now. And I know I really should be taking in the protein. I'm glad I joined this forum, I feel like I will get a lot of support here! Thanks Monica!