Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Somemthing i've been wondering - college students

After lapband surgery how soon did you return to school? Were you able to walk to class like normal or did you have to take you time? Were you late? And most importantly were your professors understanding and allowed you to make up for time missed. I plan on having my surgery in the beginning of the semester in October. Has anyone else had there surgery in the middle of a semester? :(

I had my surgery one month before classes started and didn't have any issues. Most people are back to fuctioning normally within a week.

I was a nursing student and starting my senior year at age 53 and 405 pounds when I had the band (boy I needed it!)

I had my surgery on Friday, back to classes the next Tuesday, and by the NEXT tues (a week and 1/2 post op) was doing my clinical rotations which are physically and mentally demanding. There is no "understanding about missing classes". Especially the clinicals. You miss too many, you are out, even if you are the best student in the class.

I recovered quickly and easily. Not everyone does though and honestly younger people seem to have more issues (maybe your pain receptors are younger and work better LOL!)

Depending on what classes you're taking, you may need to wait until a break.

Hey :)

I had my surgery a week before my end of year exams and I found the only problem was that the wounds were still quite tender and I'd been having panick attacks and had to try and calm myself down in the exam. But as far as walking etc. I'm sure you'll be fine, it's quite tender for a week I'd say but after that it's just a nuiscance more than anything.

Goodluck!!!

I had mine done the end of July and started school the end of August. After surgery it was 2 weeks before I went back to school(I wasn't sleeping very well because i was usually a side sleeper and had to be on my back) and my job I run up and down stairs and get in and out of the car so I wanted to make sure and after 2 weeks it was nothing...

Hey, if you're worried about teacher's understanding, you need to be upfront with them. Although I havn't had my LapBand surgery yet, I did have gallbladder removal surgery (more downtime!) during the middle of a semester last Fall. If you're very upfront with your teachers and keep up with the classes even if just at home, they are more likely to be understanding & aiding in your return and your missed days.

Goodluck!

(If it helps you're not the only one out there, I'm having mine in October (in the middle of another fall semester!LOL)

I just had my surgery on thursday, but before I went to have it I told my teachers straight up what was going on. I told them that I would not be able to make it to one class, but that the next few classes I would need somewhere to sit. I can fit in the desks, but it is a tight squeeze and I knew that would be a no go for me to try to squeeze my freshly sutured stomach into a desk, while trying to sit at the same time.

They were all VERY understanding about it and told me that it was fine and they would do what they could to accommodate me. I have found that when I tell people that I was planning on having this surgery they would not be judgmental as I thought. Several of them said "good for you" or "good luck with everything, let me know how it works out." In fact, the most judgment I have faced with this is from my mom, who was against it, and still is not extremely happy with my choice. But it was MY choice, as it is yours. Don't be ashamed of telling people. I would rather people know that I am working towards being healthy, than just looking at me with the stereotypes that fat people are given. Anyway, sorry for that rant. :blush:

Summary: Tell your teachers, they will help you.:blush:

I had mine on a Thursday and was back to class that Monday, so I only missed my 2 Friday classes and I was upfront with the teachers who were both very understanding and in one I missed a test that they let me make up and the other was our review for midterms that another student took notes for me and emailed them to me, I was sore but was able to walk campus alright at that point.