Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WEIRD-Please let me know if this happened to you

Something really weird happened with me. I've been really starving after my first fill and also after my 2nd fill on 8/5, (now at 5cc in a 10cc band) and two days after this most recent fill, I suddenly felt restriction. The doctor said that it could take a few days after a fill to feel it and I didn't know if I heard him right but it really did happen. The day after my 2nd fill I was starving when I ate Breakfast that morning but by 2pm I was eating chicken and I could feel that it was going down slower and that I needed to chew it more. Today at work it was really busy and I wasn't able to eat for seven hours and I was hungry when I finally got to eat but not starving. That's really freaky that that happened. Does anyone know why it takes a day or two sometimes? Has that happened to anyone else? Maybe the saline takes awhile to go down that tube from the port???

exercise.png

My experience has been similar. My doctor couldn't explain it just said that sometimes it takes up to 2 weeks to feel the adjustment. Strange!!!

Mimi

exact same thing happened to me, I left for vacation right after my second fill. The first 2 days of the trip I was feeling no restriction at ALL. On day 3 had a couple of small bites of my fiance's hamburger (It had to be done, it was from a childhood drive-in I used to go to when I was little). Any ways, I thought I was fine until about 3 mins later I was overcome with fullness and SLIME! It was terrible, I had to keep stopping to spit! AG... I remember thinking how odd it was that on day 3 I am just now getting restriction?!?! Well moral of the story is, I have lost 10 pounds since my 2nd fill 3 weeks ago, and its still coming off...Learned my lesson big time.. No more eating that nasty food!

Edited by kpdgal
sp

Thanks Bunny Lady, Mimi & Flower.

Bunny Lady: What do you mean by slime? It sounds scary.

its like this real thick mucus that comes up in your throat. its usually followed by a PB (productive burp) but in my case it wasn't. not scary, just gross!

I guess that would definitely stop me from eating burgers for sure. That's good because nothing would stop me before the band. Thanks for the info. I learn something new about having the band every day.

Good luck with your weight loss goal for your wedding. You are doing great!

Getting restriction a few days (or even a couple of weeks) after a fill is quite common.

I think you guys might be on to something here! I had my fill 2 weeks ago and for lunch today I couldnt even finish my chicken breast!

Shame on me for trying when I was full, but I did and I just couldnt do it! :(

Weird that it would take 2 full weeks to notice a difference!

I definately know about the 2 week thing. I had a fill two weeks and 2 days ago. I had lost 18 pounds in this short amount of time and it is still coming off at about a pound a day. I didn't want to go back for an unfill because I was finally losing, even though I was pretty sure it was what I needed after about the 2nd day. It seemed as if my band was getting tighter everyday, and when I would throw up even tighter. About 2 weeks later after the fill I woke up one morning and couldn't even swallow Water or even my own saliva. I ended up going back for an unfill that day (which was about 3 days ago) and my doc was a little upset with me for not coming in sooner. She took half a cc out and I feel so much better. I'm not miserable now and I can actually eat and drink. The tiniest amount in your band can really make a world of difference. There is such a thing as being too full and even though you are losing weight you will get dehydrated and you will regret it then.

I just heard from a gal last night at support group that mentioned the same thing ---- and you hate to go back cuz you ARE losing weight, but.......she ended up with "esophagusitis" or "something-itis" and had to be completely unfilled, for 3 months, to heal. ugh! don't let that happen to you.

sometimes it IS too tight.

I had lost 18 pounds in this short amount of time and it is still coming off at about a pound a day.

WOW! I cant imagine even losing that much so quickly. I struggle to lose 4 or 5 pounds a month! I'm sure its just because I havent found that sweet spot. I've got another fill scheduled in September. Hopefully that will make a HUGE difference.

WOW! I cant imagine even losing that much so quickly. I struggle to lose 4 or 5 pounds a month! I'm sure its just because I havent found that sweet spot. I've got another fill scheduled in September. Hopefully that will make a HUGE difference.

Yea, lol. Tell me about it. I was banded almost 6 months ago and had only lost about 14 pounds up until that last fill. And then Wham! The pounds started flying off left and right, But I was so miserable I was actually thinking I had made a mistake on getting the band. I mean I was eating maybe 2 ounces of food a day and drinking very little, but every bite no matter how small it was would hurt so bad and I would feel it stuck in my chest for hours. I did like the weight loss though, so I was determined not to go back for an unfill. I guess the band won in the end though, It usually does. Also, I didnt want to hurt myself or cause any more problems. So to anyone who may think your too tight.. You most likely are, and dont wait too long to go talk to your doctor. Let them decide for you. I hope you find your sweet spot with your next fill, just make sure its not too sweet :thumbup:

I just heard from a gal last night at support group that mentioned the same thing ---- and you hate to go back cuz you ARE losing weight, but.......she ended up with "esophagusitis" or "something-itis" and had to be completely unfilled, for 3 months, to heal. ugh! don't let that happen to you.

sometimes it IS too tight.

See, I was scared something like that might have been happening to me, that's why I opted for an unfill. I guess everything is ok, because she did look at me under fluro and everything was fine. I have actually been able to eat normal amounts of food and drink too so that makes me feel so much better. I would hate to be unfilled for that long, It would be like starting all over again. :thumbup: