Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jumpin' through Kaisers hoops in No.Va.

This is kind of longwinded, but hoping I can get answers from others, as well as provide info for those in the same boat. Here goes:

I'm in Northern Virginia (OK, I live in WV, but my Doctors are in No.Va.) and have Kaiser Permanente insurance. My PCP looked at me when I asked about WLS in May and basically said I wasn't fat or sick enough (Hello->Sleep apnea, Family Hx of diabetes with me having recently elevated fasting glucose levels, knee, ankle, and back pain, Weight=298 pounds, and BMI of >45?!?!). Long story short, got a referral anyway. Nutritionist aptmt 6/8/09, weight 298 :drool:. A-OK to start the loooooooong 6 month program (she said I definitely qualify and let that appointment be "Class One"). Scheduled weight loss class the next a.m. to get it out of the way. Had my psych eval 7/28 (:angry:that office messed things up-didn't even have the correct patient file when I checked in) and am waiting for the results to get sent to my Nutritionist and PCP. Kaiser screwed up and scheduled me for "Class Two" (which should have been my 4th visit), instead of a followup the next month (7/13, weight-283.3:smile:) with the nutritionist. Luckily I won't have to take the "Class Two" thing over, just have to do all individual followups until my approval and meeting with the surgeons. Followup appointment 8/3, wt-280.8:tongue_smilie:

So here are some of my questions:

My next visit (9/15) with the nutritionist will be my 4th visit. They say they require 6 visits total, all about one month apart. That makes November month 6. Who has been through this process in NoVa and what is next? I've heard there are support group classes you have to take but was busy asking questions about other things and didn't ask the nutritionist specifically. How soon after starting did you actually meet with the surgeon?

What about additional testing? BW, EKG, etc...?

Has anyone been denied by Kaiser NoVa based on their psych eval? I was on antidepressants over 3 years ago. As I mentioned, the psych office didn't have my file (grrrr), and no matter what I told him I was SUCCESSFULLY doing/using for depression, stress, and anxiety (meditation, yoga, exercising, relying on support of friends and family), he's been going on and on about my "underlying condition" and saying he can't see where I would be an ideal candidate for WLS. It sounds like he wants me back on medication, which I do not currently need. Trust me, if I needed it i'd ask for it!

I'm really determined to make this work. I've been working on sip, sip, sipping (it's kinda hard to sip every 10 minutes, especially when you're working), have tried a few Protein supplements to find recipes I like BEFORE surgery, and have been working on finding some decent puree-able foods that are appetizing. How long after approval did you have to wait to actually schedule you're surgery? Like, my first visit was 6/8, final should be in November, so do I have to wait days? weeks?? months??? before surgery is scheduled? I'm impatient enough as it is :)

Thanks everyone for any answers you may be able to provide!! Best of luck to all. :tongue: & :cool: Blessed Be.