Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I'm due to be banded on August 25th. I am so scared but excited. As I start (or continue...it's been a 3 year process) down this journey I am reaching out for some support. I have only told one person and that is my mom. For some reason I don't feel the people in my life would be supportive and I guess I'm scared if they knew and I backed out...what would they think. Anyways...this is the right way for me. I'm hoping there are words of wisdom or someone who would be willing to be a "support person" out there through this site.:lol:

You will be fine. I had my surgury on 30 Jul 09. I'm feeling great and have already lost 12 lbs. It's a little tough in the beginning but, just remember why you are having the surgury. The first couple of nights I could not sleep in my bed so I had to sleep in the recliner, but other than that I haven't had any problems. Good luck!

Congratulations on getting a date! I can't imagine going through the process for three years; you're a trooper!

I told very few people about my surgery: My boyfriend, mom, boss, and three closest friends. I didn't want constant scrutiny and criticism from my coworkers!

I respect your privacy and initial concerns so only tell those you feel will be supportive of you until you have some time pass and you feel more comfortable opening up. Once I had passed the 30 and then 40 lb mark of weight loss, people were noticing at work and I slowly started privately telling a few more. There are folks who still don't know (after -118 lbs!) and I don't feel any obligation to tell them. I listened for verbal cues from people on whether they were encouraging or just being nosy.

Best wishes.

sknynky - thanks for your words of support! I don't have a recliner but I have found some special pillows for support to help through those first few nights!

thebandedgirl- three years was my process. I met the surgeon last year but wanted to try one last time to do it on my own. Something tells me I'll eventually wish I had done it earlier!

Special K - CONGRATS!!! 118 lbs gone - amazing! I do feel I am making the right choice by keeping it private and your words have helped a lot. I do think there will come a time when I will be able to opening discuss with those that I think will be supportive.

To all 3 of you...I'm on day 3 of my 14 day pre-op and besides feeling a bit tired...I'm feeling great!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your support

Pre-op was hard. I'm so grateful that my surgeon didn't require only liquids! Hope you're doing great :)

You and I have so much in common!!! I am scheduled to be banded on August 26th. I am in my second day of my liquid diet and really worried I am not going to make it the full two weeks. I also didnt tell alot of people. I didnt want all those opinions of, "I knew this lady and it didnt work for her" or " if you change your lifestyle you can do this without surgery." I just didnt want all the opinions and I guess I think that many of my friends and family wouldnt be as supportive as I would like so I didnt tell anyone. NOw that I am getting closer to my surgery date and I have told more people but I am still very reluctant to do so. Are you on your liquid diet??? How are you doing with it?? Have you cheated??? I would love to get your email address so we could keep in touch being our surgery dates are so close to each other!

Here is my email address: sradcliff@mchsi.com--please email me so we can keep in touch

HERE IS MY EMAIL ADDRESS: sradcliff@mchsi.com----please email me so we can keep in touch

Edited by mradcliff
add email

I am right there with you!!!! I live in Raymond, Maine and I am scheduled to be banded on Sept 8th by Dr. Renee Wolfe! I have only told my hubby, kids, mother and sister. I know what you mean about non supportive people. It is a very sensative time in your life and the less negativity the better. have you been doing OK on the 2 week pre-op diet? Have you had your pre-admission apt yet? My e-mail is simplydawnc@aol.com if you want to chat more. Do you plan on attending the post-op support groups at Andover St? I was thinking of going after my surgery. I hope to chat with you soon!

Best of luck!!! I can only imagine how excited and nervous you must be. I will be thinking of you this week. Let me know how you do.

I am scheduled for 9/16 and going through what sounds like alot of the same thoughts/fears/hopes.

Hang in there, Sherry