Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did your process take to get approval?

Hey, Tory09, have you heard anything yet? I hope you have had better luck than I have had.

It has now been 31 days since I was ready to submit. They told me it would take about a week. I tried to get the insurance to talk to me this week (actually called and left a message once and talked to a "bariatric team member" the scond time who promised she would have my nurse call me) but no one called me back. The surgeon's office has never called me back either. It is like beating my head against the wall. :sad:

I just do not understand. I feel like I am paying for these services and they should be a bit more respectful and call me back. :)

Have you heard anything yet? :lol:

Froggie D

Hey Froggy,

No I talked with the surgeons office 3x last week. The insurance lady told me the nutritionist and psych evals have been dictated but that she still doesnt have my file. The lady left me a msg saying I had 2 other things that the dr wanted... I left her back a message and told her the dates when I already had the appointments.

It is just very slow. So no my stuff is still getting dictated and recorded in my file for them to send to the insurance company. I am trying my best not to worry and not to get too impatient...

I still need your prayers!!!!!!!!

Thanks, keep me posted :) and I will too :sad:!!!!!!!!!

Tory09

I am sooo sorry you have not heard either. I am getting sort of depressed and down about it. You have a better attitude about it than I do right now. I have been eating good and have lost some weight, but each day it gets harder to maintain my attitude and I am getting hungrier (head hunger, I am sure). :)

How do you keep your attitude in check?

Oh, well, tomorrow is another day!

Froggie D

I think I am really fortunate. My PCP wrote my referral letter in June. I was not able to get into the seminar until July 8. I am having surgery August 28. My insurance took about a week to approve.

:redface:Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what the general concensus is on after you did all of your appointments - how long it took for them to submit to insurance and how long insurance took for approval. I finished all my prereq appointments on Friday. I wonder if I should call my surgeons office on Monday and ask them how long will it take to gather the whole package and send to the insurance...

I have Anthem BCBS PPO and I live in Virginia. I am so nervous - I need your prayers!

Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!!!!

I have BCBS of Texas. It took about 8 days for approval.

I hope to hear this week. Getting pretty down about it. Been waiting for 31 days now. :)

Froggie D

weight.png

Hi There,

It seemed like it took forever, but it was about 5 months. Here is my story.

4/7/09 Seminar - packet started and completed within 2 weeks.:)

5/28/09 Met with Doctor to discuss lap band.:laugh:

6/1/09 Breath Test, Blood Work:unsure:

6/8/09 First visit to psychologist - tests done and returned in 2 days:drool:

6/15/09 Nutritionist for assessment:thumbup:

6/16/09 Upper GI:tongue_smilie:

6/18/09 Education Class for surgery at surgeon's office:redface:

7/6/09 2nd Appointment with psychologist - approved!:)

7/13/09 Packets sent to insurance companies

7/21/09 Notified my insurance approved!:sad:

7/23/09 Notified secondary insurance approved!:thumbup:

7/30/09 Surgeon's office called to set up surgery - Aug. 31!

8/3/09 Met with nutritionist for pre-op diet.

8/14/09 Met with surgeon to prepare for surgery in 2 weeks!

That's how my story went. I felt like it took forever, but it wasn't really that long. Just hang in there. Now that all is done and I have a surgery date, it is moving really quickly until it will be time! Wish me lots of luck and say a little prayer for me as well!:laugh:

It felt to me like this whole summer someone somewhere was either looking at info about me or discussing me. Eerie feeling.....hang in there!

Hey Tory09,,, I too finished all my requirements on Friday. I called my doctor's office and was told they were waiting on my regular doctor to fax over a letter of need. She told me to expect an call from her first of the week that all was submitted. I'm nervously excited. Maybe we can keep in touch about the approval process,,, perhaps we will even have surgery about the same time. I'll pray for your speedy approval,,, along with mine:-)

Wow,,, yours was only about 4 months! That's awesome.

Hey Tory09 and Froggie D,,, are yall having trouble with your doctor's office and the insurance company? I had pretty good sailing with the doc,,, but I'm worried about the insurance company. I can't find a lot of people on here that have Cigna,,, so I'm in the dark as to how long they will take. The doc said they can take up to 45 days but usually don't take longer than 30,,, so I'm guess-timating my surgery date around the end of September. I have no clue about the pre-op surgeon stuff,,, never thought to ask that,,, is it pretty standard for the GI thing? I'm thankful for the people that have quick approvals,,, I like hearing those stories,,, keeps me positive:-) I hope to hear more of the stories about yall's approvals,,, I will pray for good things for us all! I'll keep my finger's and toes crossed as well, lol:-)

I was really surprised, but I was on pins and needles all summer. I am a teacher, and I knew there was no way it would be done before school started. I will be able to work all the workdays, then be with my class four days before being out a week or so. My doctor says usually he keeps people out a week, so I am hoping to be back to school as soon as possible.

Tory09 -

I finally got word from the surgeon today that they sent my stuff in on Friday.:hurray:

Now I just have to wait for my insurance to decide. :)

Have you heard anything more?

Froggie D

My paperwork was submitted on the 5th, and this morning I received a call from my surgeon's office, letting me know I'd been approved. Wednesday is my pre-op consultation -- so excited!

it took me 10months from having a referral from my primary care physician to cleveland clinic, through all my psych, nutrition, testing and surgeon visits. when all this was completed, my surgeon sent all "proof" of medical necessity to medicare and i was approved in 24 hours! it was a long road, but tomorrow is my surgery! the whole process took 10 months. but i am soooooo ready. hang in there, sounds like you are really close! lisa6