Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm home

Hi, I'm home yippie! My new life had really begun!

Don't worry Loretta (Starr). and Melissa about my hospital stay. I was still high on morphine when he came and and said we'd talk about going home tomorrow. I asked the nurse and she said he likes to keep all his patients 2 days. It was fine with me. Last ight around 8 I wanted to escape, but then I woke up at 2 and took some pain medicine and this morning he was in the room before 10 and said everything is good, go home, take a shower and see you next week. LOL David the PA said please take a shower....LOL..

So I'm home I ate a TBLS of cottage cheese. Garry just mixed me a protien shake and I'm good as can be.

A suggestion for you Melissa as far as your bed goes, for when you go home. If you can get the hospital bed and it isn't a big deal getting to you, I would go for it. If not, go buy one of those foam mattress toppers, (mine is king size and it's perfect) fold it in half and then roll it into a triangle, you'll be just fine.

I am so excited about my band I ca't tell you! And I'm so excited to be home!

My offer is still on for movies and jello!

Thank you all so much for the prayers. I had complete peace on Monday morning. And now I'm just so excited I could scream.

Off to the couch for a movie/nap.

Thank you all for being here for me.

Welcome home...there is no place like home!!!!

Melissa I think Dr. Bauman will let you stay in the hospital...you might want to consider it. I know I would..I think everyone needs one night to rest. (Ask Angie, she will know)

Alright Dianne aren't you the brave one eating cottage cheese...I was chicken to try that until I was home almost a week. It was Jello & pudding & applesause for me. hehe...call me a whimp!!!! Get some rest and enjoy the movies and Jello. If I didn't have to work and if it wasn't month end I will come and join in with you....

Keep us posted on how you are doing and don't forget you can call me at any time.

Starr are you ready???? Not long for you!!!! We are all thinking and praying for you now!!!!

Hey Dianne - glad you're home. Going thru something right now (like fright). Feeling weak today for some reason. I think I'll be in deep thought for awhile unitil my surgery. Thanks again for everyones well wishes. See you on the other side.

Good to see you are home and being "spunky" lol. Don't worry Starr you will be just fine, you will see. I'm in "nesting' mode. I've been doing stuff I hate...like matting the basket of socks in the laundry room. Cleaning out the closests, making sure the kids have their clothes organized so hubby and grandpa can find things. But I'm not really nervous about the surgery....but jittery like. I'm teaching the next two sundays for sunday school, just trying to stay busy. Will be thinking about you Friday Starr....believe me I think you will be feeling better than I friday. Kristen is having a sleepover 6 13-14 year old girls....can we say LOUD.

Melissa

Welcome Home Diane! It sounds like you're doing great! Keep us posted and let us know if you need anything! What movies are you planning on watching?

Starr, I imagine nerves are normal. I'm sure I'll go through the same thing when my time comes. Regardless of nerves, I know it's what I need to do for my long term health. I want to grow old with my husband, and live to see grand kids. I know how much my weight is affecting my health already, and am not willing to let it get any worse before taking this step.

Melissa, if you get done at your place, I could keep you busy at mine for a few days ... kidding :)

Hi,

Forget the "GREAT IDEA I HAD" That mattress cover thing didn't work well. Lots of pillows are working for me.

Kim and Kathy, did you feel a new kind of full and hunger? had protien shake at 7:30 last night, 4 TBLS. I was stuffed and uncomfortable. But then at 4 AM I had a headache and was starving. Went downstairs, like an idiot, and drank 2T of PS. Felt really wierd went back upstairs and I'm ot sure if I had anxiety attack or what but I felt like I was gonna get sick. I didn;t and it passed. I finished my 2nd cup of PS and slept till almost 8.

Oh 1 other thing. My one pill I take I can't crush it is a small gel capsul. Do you have any suggestions as to when would be a good time for me to take it.

Nw I'm ready for a nap again so off I go.

Loretta, You'll do fine! Trust me!

I am also thrilled to say that the gas pains have been very little, PTL!

Dianne, pay close attention to how your tummy feels each time you put something in it.

The "gonna get sick" feeling means what you drank is having a hard time going down. Try not to drink something and then lay down right away. Let it gurgle through. Do you hear it gurgle?

Get into the habit now (Oh, okay, next week) of washing your pouch out at bedtime with 6-8 ounces of clear Water.

Yes, it's a new kind of full. Hunger is the same ole hunger, I guess. So much of THAT has to do with headwork. But full is a whole new feeling. Pay attention to the sensations. You will need these cues later, even as they change.

Okay, when would be a good time to take your gel capsule? Anytime you are standing at the sink. HA!

Really, anytime on an empty stomach so it washes on down to the lower stomach. I promise, you will know if it gets stuck. Also, maybe take it with milk (can you do milk?) or gatorade. I found those to be more "slippery" than plain Water. It will help the gel capsule to go on down. Don't let meds of any kind rest on your band. Bad Bad Bad. Get the meds washed past your band at all costs.

Yay! You are doing this!! Thinking of you Starr!!!!!!!!!!

So how long should I wait to lay down after drinking something? I'm laying in a sit up possition still.

I'm kind of sore tonigh, but haven't had protien or pain meds in hours. I hate the idea of waking up with a headache again in the middle of the night being hungry.

Trial failure, thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to have an ounce o protien now and then in a half hour have the pain meds then a half hour later sleep.

Should I wait longer than a half hour for bed?

Should I wait to eat when my port hurts?

Thanks for your help and tips!!

I spoke with Starr earlier tonight. She is feeling weak, but I think excited. She just wants to have it over with. I asked her to have her daughter give me a call and tell me how she did when it's over. She'll do great, I told her we would be praying for her. She is schedualed for 7:30.

You should lay down after what's in your upper pouch gurgles on down past the band. It depends on how tight you are, but it should only take a few minutes, really, especailly if your are sipping. Take a sip, let it gurgle through, take another sip, etc.

The laying down and feeling sick to your stomach is the part that makes me worry a little. Sitting up is good, so maybe you just drank that 2 Tbs. of Protien shake too fast. Listen to your body. Go slow.

You don't have to wait to go to bed as long as you feel like your pouch is empty, especailly if it makes you feel funny. Really, I think you just might have sipped to much too fast?

Your port is always going to hurt this soon after surgery. It slowly gets better each day, so don't worry about your port (take pain meds if needed for that). What you need is hydration and as much nutrition as you can manage as you heal.

Remember, right now you are learning how your band makes you feel, but this is not banded life. This is recovery. What you have to do today to get by will change. Next week you will have new and different issues. You will be concerned with your full liquids menu, you will be looking for more variety, you will be wanting to increase your protien so you feel better, etc etc. Hydration and nutrition. Slow and easy.

Please post when you hear from Starr. I'll be praying!!!!

If I had read this full thread, I wouldn't have asked when Starr has her surgery.

Dianne, it sounds like you're doing great! I'm interested in all of your newbie experiences and questions, so maybe I can prepare myself when my time comes :D

Oh Karen don't worry I'll be asking tons of stuff on here!

So Kathy is it a must that I hear the girgle? It seems like it takes a long time to hear that, and I've been thinking is my stomach growling..so now I'm paying more attention.

I did have 6oz of protien this morning. I took it VERY slow over an hour. I felt so dizzy earlier. I'm feeling better now, but ready for my nap. I took my pill that I was scared about taking this morning with milk like you suggested. And you were right it was fine. I'm just not sure that I am feeling the new stomach fill up and empty. Should I is there something wrong (like my brain) with me that I can't differenciate the 2?

Loretta is in bandland and lala land and doing well.

Dianne...you are doing great. Sorry I haven't answered any questions lately. Curtis was up ALL night throwing up and running a high fever. He has a double ear infection, his bowls are compacted. Poor thing he was so pitaful. Any way I am STILL having problems with my band, think I am too tight. Got sick 8 times yesterday...it's just really hard no sleep and getting sick at the same time. Ok enough about me....

So are you doing ok? Learning the to a good little bandster? When do you go back for your follow up? I don't think I actaully felt my stomach fill up...I personally just knew that I was full. Don't forget to get some Water in each day... you will to get in 64 oz a day when your better. As for laying down..I am like Kathy I make sure my pouch is empty. I don't even take Water to bed anymore. (but right now I sometimes even have trouble with water.) Keep getting in that protien and walk and sip and walk and sip....

Have a great weekend....

Dianne, if you got a pill down with no problems, then you may not gurgle much. Don't worry. I don't gurgle anymore, but I sure did post-op when I was super tight. You are healing so nicely!!! Good job! Just keep that upper pouch empty with your liquid diet and you will be just fine. What you are doing now is exactly opposite of bandster eating. Just heal and get in your calories. yay!!!

Congrats Dianne!!! I am so proud of you! Keep up the great work. You will be able to lay down in that bed and get comfy in no time. I thought that would take forever too. I was so uncomfortable the first week.

Melissa, Dr. Bauman will let you stay a night if you want too. He was ready to kick me out but I told him no! I had three little ones at home that would be climbing all over me and I just wanted to rest. So he let me. And btw, those beds at NEMC are so comfortable. I was in heaven. :) Have a great surgery and wish you luck!

Angie