Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys I'm 2 day post-op and confused as all can be. How much Clear Liquids am I supposed to be having at one time? I'm sipping my Isopure liquid as the day goes on. but how much is too much? I was able to do a whole cup of broth in 15 minutes am I damaging my new pouch Please help anyone.

You should check with your surgeon to be sure but I drank "normally" from right after my surgery. I never measured it out by the ounce. I didn't GULP ever...or chug, but I drank. At this stage, I believe, if it goes down ok (and is liquid...don't cheat by advancing foods sooner than your diet allows) then you don't need to worry.

I THINK (again I've not confirmed with my doc, this is just me putting it together from what I've read etc) in the "early" days of the band, they were one size fits all and many people couldn't keep liquids down because the bands started out tight for some. Now that they are more sized, (and as less surgeons start people out WITH fills...which personally I think is cruel, but that's JMO) many of us don't have issues that early bandsters may have suffered. The band is open at the top and the bottom. Unless you are REALLY swollen or REALLY filled (or both) liquid will just go on through.

I believe sometimes they tell you to do things like "sip 2 ounces every hour" or whatever to make sure it will go through and to make sure it doesn't make you nauseated (many react that way post op)

Once you gingerly drink a bit and see that it doesn't nauseate you or make you feel over full (you'd feel it, just like you would preband if you drank say 16-24 ounces of Water quickly...your stomach would feel stretched. Same way you'd feel odd or pressure if the water is hanging in your pouch) then I think you can drink more. Again..don't chug it. Don't guzzle. But I could take a normal swallow, and once I knew that was down (5 seconds or so?) I'd drink another.

This is not to countermand your doc's advice and I don't know all this, again, just what I have "come up" with puzzling it out and so on.

Your doc should've given you a post op diet with a Fluid volume to have per hour. If he didn't, then don't worry about it, just follow the diet he gave you but don't worry about volume.

Agree with Restless Monkey. I personally don't think with liquids it makes a difference as long as you aren't chugging it and drinking it, however, My Dr. said 2 ounces every hour but Water is limitless...if you drink and not chug like she said. I would call your Dr. to find out what he recommends..Every surgeon is different.

RM - I completely agree with it being cruel not to add any saline during surgery. I had mine a week ago and am starting to be STARVING. 2 ounces 3 times a day for meals and 2 ounces every hour of Protein Shakes just aren't doing the trick anymore!

RM - I completely agree with it being cruel not to add any saline during surgery. I had mine a week ago and am starting to be STARVING. 2 ounces 3 times a day for meals and 2 ounces every hour of Protein Shakes just aren't doing the trick anymore!

EEKS! Sorry but I meant just the opposite; I think it's cruel for surgeons to do fills during surgery! I know we get hungry but IMHO (and it is just opinion) I think being hungry is better than some poor souls you read about who vomit and can't even keep Water down and end up back in the ER and then find out "OOPS you had a fill during surgery and apparently it was too much". That's just bad. I'd rather be starving for a little while than in the ER getting saline or whatever! And I was starved until mushies but it was worth it! :confused:

I didn't even get Protein shakes for week 1. By the time I got them for week 2 they almost tasted good again! LOL

Haha that is what I get for trying to read posts at 1:30 in the am! Maybe when I get done with mushies and am not starving anymore, I will have a different prespective on it!

Thanks for the info guys sorry for not responding sooner I was readmitted to the hospital with a c-diff colon infection.