Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question to those w/ band about pre-op diet

I have a question for those of you that have had the band. Did anyone cheat a little on the pre-op diet and their liver was good? not good?

I am currently on the pre-op diet and have slipped a couple of times on the diet. My doctor required 2 shakes, a lean cuisine (300-400 calories), and lots of Water. I have been drinking Special K20 Water for the extra Protein.

In the beginning I was starving and a small piece of boneless skinless chicken with mustard would satisfy me (about 2 ounces). I also have the occaisional cucumber cut up with salt and pepper. Sometimes a bite of low fat cottage cheese here and there (maybe a quarter cup).

I did have 2 days of a big slip since night eating is my problem. I broke into the cheeze-its and Peanut Butter. This was about a week ago :tt1: Diappointed in myself, but moved on. :scared2:

I have lost a total of 8 pound so far and my surgery is Monday. Just don't want to go in and wake up with no band. I NEED this for my health, my kids, and for me. i don't want lectured here. Just some info and advice.

Thanks,

Jodi:tongue:

Hi Jodi -

I had a 3 week pre-op diet (originally it was supposed to be 2 weeks, but my surgery was postponed for a week, so it ended up being 3). I cheated once but I just had a piece of broiled salmon. My fiancee had just taken the LSAT (admission test for law school) and he REALLY wanted a steak so we went to Ruth Chris' and I felt awkward sitting there in an expensive restaurant without ordering. My original plan was just to have some Soup, but of course I caved and got the salmon. But it was plain (originally it was broiled with butter, but they left it off for me).

The night that I found my surgery would be postponed I also went out to dinner and had a salad with about 3 oz. of grilled salmon and then a full piece of grilled salmon for dinner with veggies (I don't eat chicken or red meat, thats why so much salmon lol :scared2:) - but my surgeon told me I could do this because he wasn't sure how long my surgery would need to be postponed for (it could've been 5 days or as long as 6 weeks). But I found out the next day that my surgery would only be pushed back a week and went back on my pre-op diet then. I lost 20 pounds in total on my pre-op diet.

I would say try to stick to your pre-op diet as much as possible. There are definitely people on this site who have not been able to get their band because of a thick liver. And I agree - it would be devastating to wake up from surgery and find out you were not able to get your band. When you want to cheat, think of some of your motivators (your health, your kids, etc.) before you go for the food. Good luck with your surgery!

Check with your surgeon...seriously, tell him what you ate and when (even the PB and cheezits..) and let him decide. Odds are you'll be ok but better safe than sorry.

(I can say this w/some conviction since I was "sorry" and didn't get my band the first time out)

My Dr didnt require a post op diet. The only thing he required was the day before the Surgery was allowed liquids only and had to drink the Magnisum stuff to clean you out. So you will probably be ok if you slip once or twice.

My Dr didnt require a post op diet. The only thing he required was the day before the Surgery was allowed liquids only and had to drink the Magnisum stuff to clean you out. So you will probably be ok if you slip once or twice.

Just because YOU didn't have one doesn't mean someone else can cheat and get away with it. I'm sure you don't mean to do people harm but I read posts like this and did NOT get my band because I cheated. It's on me because I did what I read here instead of what my doc told me...but we aren't all the same. Do what YOUR doc tells you, not what someone else's doc tells him/her to do.

I was never instructed to do a pre-op diet. I was told nothing by mouth after midnight the night before, nor did I have to do any bowel prep.

I think Restless Monkey is right -- do what your Dr. says. Each of us is different. I only had a five day pre-op diet because my BMI was lower than some patients. My good friend, who had the surgery 1 year before me (with the same doc), had a two-week pre-op diet, and was told that she almost didn't get her band because her liver was a little thick and the surgical team did not think they would be able to maneuver it.

Just get back on track and "this too shall pass"!

I cheated on my pre-op but the anxiety I had prior to the surgery bc of the cheating was not worth it at all. I was really worried that I would not have surgery. Turns out everything was still okay, but not worth the worrying I did prior!

I would really try to stick with it bc you dont want to have to worry that the surgery could be put off bc your liver was too fatty. Its not worth it looking back!

I was banded Aug. 5th and had a 2 week diet before...2 Protein Shakes and one low fat/low carb meal, but gosh I cheated! The last couple of days before my surgery, I did the 2 shakes, but the meals got less than low fat/low carb! I'm certainly not promoting this b/c I felt horrible about it, but luckily, my doc said I did great on my diet and my liver had shrunk nicely. Again, my lack of self control is not something I am proud of, but so thankful it all worked out!