Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been thinking about lapband for quite a while and finally went to my consult on Monday. After convincing my husband to let me have the surgery I have my pre-op scheduled for tomorrow! We're paying ourselves (16,900...ouch) so I'm a little nervous about that.

I was wondering how long other self pays took to go through the whole process?

I also have a 5 month old, will I be able to lift him soon after surgery? (I ask because my sister had bypass surgery and couldn't for two weeks, I realize this is isn't as extreme but was curious)

For all of you, what did you find the hardess part of the entire process? pain? not eating? etc.?

Did you tell people you knew? I'm kind of torn as to if I should tell work? I'm scared to tell my mother because my sister had horrible problems with her bypass (she just had hers redone again due to problems).

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi there. I was also a self pay patient. I went to a seminar after I decided that the surgery was really something I wanted. After that, I had my surgery about two weeks later. I had never had surgery before so I was very nervous. It's really not that bad.

As far as lifting things, I was told by my surgeon not to lift anything over 50 pounds for at least three months. This was very hard for me because I was a veterinary technician at the time and had to lift and restrain animals. I had to consider this when making the decision whether or not to tell anyone. I decided to tell everyone at work since I would need help for three months after surgery. They were all very understanding. I told mostly everyone about the surgery before I had it done and if anyone asks me how I am losing weight, I tell them. Telling people is definately a decision that you have to make on your own since it is different for everyone.

The hardest part for me so far has been head hunger. Physically, I will feel full but I will still want to eat. This feeling is slowly going away but it is still something that I struggle with. I didn't have much pain at all. I did get very sick of drinking protien shakes though. :wink:

I'm glad that I did it and I would do it again. It was alot of money but it was worth it. Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.

weight.png

I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been thinking about lapband for quite a while and finally went to my consult on Monday. After convincing my husband to let me have the surgery I have my pre-op scheduled for tomorrow! We're paying ourselves (16,900...ouch) so I'm a little nervous about that.

I was wondering how long other self pays took to go through the whole process?

I also have a 5 month old, will I be able to lift him soon after surgery? (I ask because my sister had bypass surgery and couldn't for two weeks, I realize this is isn't as extreme but was curious)

For all of you, what did you find the hardess part of the entire process? pain? not eating? etc.?

Did you tell people you knew? I'm kind of torn as to if I should tell work? I'm scared to tell my mother because my sister had horrible problems with her bypass (she just had hers redone again due to problems).

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Congratulations! Once I finally made the decision to have the surgery and scheduled it, I only had to wait 2 weeks. I was also self pay. I told a few people but some of the feedback was pretty negative so I decided to wait until after I had the surgery to tell anyone else. Those people were pretty shocked to say the least that I did this and didn't tell them of my plans. It's my business though so I didn't much care what they thought.

As far as lifting goes, I would talk to your surgeon. Every doctor seems to have some small differences in post-op instructions.

Good luck to you and I hope your journey is speedy and successful.

Donna

Welcome and good luck. I agree, ask your surgeon about lifting restriction. Odds are, depending on how heavy your 5-month old is, you'll need help. My restriction was 15 pounds for 3 weeks but each surgeon is different.

I had planned to be self pay but insurance covered it and from seminar to OR was just at a month.

Honestly? by the time I got the band I was so ready!!! (I'd wanted it since 2003 when a friend's aunt went to a neighboring city and got it! back in the wild early days of banding) so NONE of it was hard. Sure I was hungry pre and post op but that was no big deal; I'd done liquid diets before to try to lose. Then they were awful because I knew I couldn't keep them up; for the diet they were easier because I knew they were finite.

I'd had lots of time to be pro/con/pro/con so I was 10000% pro. Even then I did my "own" preop diet and didn't get the band the first try. But that was my foolishness.

So I guess for me the hardest part was making up my mind over the 5 years I waited. Once I decided to go and self pay, ins came through. :) I took that as a sign and never looked back. But I'd gladly have paid for it, and had planned to. It's been worth it.

Jes Restless,

You said exactly what I feel only you were able to say it so eloquently.

So Threeboys, WHAT SHE SAID :)