Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I learned a lot at my 1st lapband meeting

I went to my first lapband info. meeting tonight & I'd have to say that I was not happy about going. I am 5'6 & weigh 235. Through out my life I've always felt like I don't look good or I'm not put together.. because I am fat. (I'm sure that I'm not alone on this one). I have to be honest & say, The people were nice, I had fun & learned so much. I won't feel uncomfortable going again.

I was amazed by the stories people told about their experience. Some bandsters could eat steak, pork & drink soda with out issues, but had problems eating chicken. Others could only eat chicken & not steak, pork or drink soda. It was all over the place. No two people had the same effect. The dr. & nutritionist made it quite clear that some people can eat anything & everything without a problem, While others can't eat things that went down easy pre-band. It depends on your body & how it wants to work with the band, from what the dr. said. I'm curious to see how I will react. Anyhow, the one thing that came up the most with the older bandsters was that they still froth if they eat too quickly, some thought this would subside in time, but it hasn't.

One of the big topics of the night was why do some people have to lose 20 lbs. & others 50. We were told that 2 people could be the same weight & height. One apple shape, the other a pear. The apple shape would most likely have to lose 15 lbs more than the pear shaped, due to the extra fat in the belly area. WL helps shrink the liver, it's easier for the Dr. to operate. What I didn't know was when we get the eval. the Dr. checks your belly (the squishier, the better)to see how much room you have to move your insides,aside, while operating. This is also the difference of how many lbs we need to lose prior to WLS. I was told by many people that their Dr. had them lose 20% of their excess weight. This proves, once again, that every dr. has different rules/reasons. I like my dr. he told me 15 lbs is all I need before WLS. :cheeky

(inspirations)We met a man who weighed 580 lbs. He had to lose 200 lbs before the Dr. would operate. At the time, Doc. said RNY was his only choice. It was then he decided that it wasn't. On the 4th of July he went on a Protein liquid diet, under the care of a Dr., & lost all the weight required. He is now banded & down to 320 lbs.

I also met 7 bandsters who lost 60 plus lbs. & kept it off for 2 or more years. I was wondering why, compared to me & others, that there were lots of "tiny" people at this meeting. It inspires me to see that people still go to meetings, even after their success. That's the way it should be, in my opinion.

*I added the pre-surgery WL topic because it comes up often on the boards.

Thanks for letting me share this with you!

OH and one last thing. I met a older man (78)who had a gastric bypass in the 70's. I had no idea they did that surgery then. Anyway, he was there to tell people that it is not the route to go. He said he wishes he had the choice of a lapband back then and he went on to explain all the problems he has because of the bypass.

Just an interesting night, I guess.

Hi~

I just wanted to put a little cents in about the man that got the bypass and said he wished he could of got the lapband. My gradmother got the bypass in the 70's sometime to and she lost a lot of wieght but she gained it all back! I once wanted to get the bypass until I found out about the band. Now I would never evey think about getting the bypass. Even if I have to pay out of my pocket for it.

I found that where these type of forums almost scared me right off banding - because naturally people talk about their bad experiences and you have extremes of what people eat and a million conflicting things said about what you should eat at what stage etc etc - and also because the typical American diet is very different from the typical Australian one, so seemed foreign to me - the two information sessions I have been two have been really comforting and far more laid back than what I glean online. They make it sound like it really is just an ordinary lifestyle and an ordinary diet in smaller quanities - and the people who have gotten up and spoken have backed this up.

They make it sound like it really is just an ordinary lifestyle and an ordinary diet in smaller quanities - and the people who have gotten up and spoken have backed this up.

Yes, yes, and one more yes. It is an ordinary lifestyle. There are key "banding issue" differences, but it really is just me, eating less, feeling full quicker, working the band, getting the most from my fill, and sometimes doing none of that and eating some potato chips. It's just me!!! I'm normal!!! Once you getit all under your belt, life goes on. Only, it's manageable.

I second the Presidnet of the Slow Loser Club on this.

Kathy hit it right on the head. The main reason I choose the band was because it my body using my system to do all the normal functions. Its a tool to assist me in eating less and right.

And so far it's working as long as I am working with it.

I'm in control here. (SHHHHH don't let the wife hear me say that)