Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein sources other than shakes

I've seen a lot of threads about different types of Protein powders, shakes, etc, but haven't come across one yet for ways to pack in the Protein in other forms, so I figured I'd start one. :)

I'm only a few weeks out so my diet is still limited, but so far the things I've found are:

Oikos greek yogurt 110 cal, 0 fat, 15g protein! It's kinda sour, so I usually add some Bear Naked Protein granola.

Bear Naked Protein Granola: 140 cal, 7g fat, 5g protein

Kashi Go Lean High Protein & High Fiber cereal: 140 cal, 1g fat, 13g protein

Special K Protein Plus: 100 cal, 3g fat, 10g protein

Carbmaster yogurt: 80 cal, 4g carbs, 12 g protein (i can only find this at Smith's, so i'm not sure if that's true of everywhere, or just here)

Frigo Light String Cheese: 60 cal, 8g protein 1g carbs

I'd love to hear what other products people have found. I'm not a huge fan of the shakes, so as my diet progresses, I'd like to add a wider variety of protein options instead of going back to shakes. Right now, my favorites are yogurt and granola or Cereal with milk. Since skim milk has 8-9g protein (depending on the brand) I can easily get at least 18g in one quick meal. :ohmy:

tuna fish is a quick Protein fix.

I also add Protein powder to Jello SF/FF pudding, so 1/2 cup is about 115 calories, 10 g Protein & 1.5g fat(1% milk.

Be sure to read the labels on low fat/fat free products, as the sugar content is often quite high.

if you don't have any sort of cholesterol problems I'd recommend eggs as well.

I'm on soft foods and one of my favorite treats is to hard boil 2 eggs, mash em, and whip it up with a bit of mustard, and lite mayo/miracle whip.

omelets with a bit of low fat cheddar inside has been good to me as well.

tuna fish is good.

cheese is good, as long as you don't overdo it, and try to stay with low-fat cheeses.

You can only find CarbMaster yogurt at Smith's because it is a Kroger brand. Kroger owns Smith's, King Sooper, Fred Meyer, Fry's, Ralph's (except in certain areas) Kroger's (obviously!) and just about a dozen others. I am not as familiar with the ones in the east. I live in Arizona and we have Fry's. Oh yeah, and I work there. :w00t: LOL

It is actually pretty good yogurt... I am eating one now so I felt compelled to post!

My fav Protein snack is Fage total 0% greek yogurt. You can mix anything in with it and it will take on that flavor. By itself it taste like sour cream, so I will use it as dipping for chicken, etc to boost the Protein even more. Mixed with sweets, tastes delicious. My new fav is 1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1 tbsp reduced fat PB - so good!! Also, if you mix a ranch dip powder with it, you can use it to dip veggies in and you're getting your protein and veggies. I'm in love with it!

On a side note, I tried carbmasters from Krogers on post op day 2 and it sent me into dry heaves...I think I'm sensitive if there's too much artificial sweetener

I am *so* not a Protein shake kind of girl....ick. But, I have fallen in love with Protein smoothies. :-) I use:

*EAS vanilla Soy Protein Powder (has 170 calories/20g protein in 1 scoop)

*4 oz. FF milk (45 calories/4g protein)

*1 ice cube (or more, depending on how thick I want the smoothie to be)

*1/2 frozen banana (@50 calories)

*1/4 c. frozen whole strawberries (@12 calories)

*1/4 c. frozen pineapple chunks (@24 calories)

I mix up the fruit often to change the flavor. But the trick to me has been the FF milk, it seems to absorb the texture/flavor of the protein powder so that I don't notice. :-)

My other quick faves: 4 oz. containers 2% cottage cheese. tuna. Salmon. Special K Protein Water (or powder). eggs.

~Sonia

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BabySpoons

Sometimes reading the posts here make me wonder if some people just weren't mentally ready for WLS and needed more time with the bariatric team psychiatrist. Complaining about the limited drink/food choices early on... blah..blah...blah. The living to eat mentality really needs to go and be replaced with eating to live. JS
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches